“Lovely house and gardens”
Review of Nunnington Hall

Nunnington Hall
More attraction details
Owner description: A tour of this 17th-century manor house captivates visitors with its oak-paneled hall, Carlisle collection of miniatures and even a haunted room or two.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Enjoyed our visit to Nunnington Hall. It is a lovely old manor house set in beautiful countryside. In some of the rooms it was easy to imagine the families from the past living there. Although the gardens aren't huge they were lovely and very well kept. Had our lunch in the tea room. Most of the sandwiches seemed to have either cheese or mayonnaise in them. I ended up having the soup as I wanted something fairly plain to eat. Absolutely loved the miniature room displays on the top floor of the house and enjoyed the exhibition of wild life photos. A couple of other nice touches were the basket containing 'pooh sticks' to use when crossing the bridge (of course we had to have a go - sadly I lost) and a tree where you could tie ribbons on and make a wish (did that too!). Well worth a visit.

2  Thank Valerie M

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This house is run by the National Trust. they have exceptional staff who bring the life of the house alive. The setting has to be one of the most beautiful l have seen. The gardens are lovely and cild friendly. The restaurant /cafe is superb. Do not forget to play pooh sticks over the bridge, sticks provided on the car park side.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Nunnington does not claim to be spectacular and it isn't if you compare it with some of the great stately homes around but I will not be the only person, I am sure, who can identify easier with a house like this. It is actually bigger than it looks and there is much to see through the series of rooms and displays. It is mainly "upstairs" rather than "downstairs" on that you see but none the worse for that.

You make your own way around but there are helpful cards to read in each room and a house assistant in most. There is also an introductory DVD early on which is largely worth watching at least part of with some interesting historical footage. I found the assistants were friendly and knowledgeable. There was one who was perhaps a little too keen to be helpful but otherwise they were available if required, if not they were just a presence which is how I prefer it.

It is in a beautiful setting and the gardens, whilst not extensive are varied and interesting, formal, kitchen, orchards, meadows. It is possible to play croquet on the front lawn if you wish which is a slightly different point in Nunnington's favour.

We tried out the tea room for lunch. As with many National Trust places it is not cheap but the soup and sandwiches we ate were very tasty.

I was with my elderly parents so young ones were not an issue but clearly there has been an effort to interest younger visitors both in the house and grounds which I was pleased to see. On entry you cross a bridge and there are twigs available for people to play pooh sticks, for example, which is a nice little touch. At the other end of the age-scale, my father is officially registered disabled and though it does offer disabled access it is not possible, as far as I could tell, for wheelchair bound people to get to the upper floors.

There is a second hand bookshop (operated by an honesty box) to raise money for the house and there is also the usual NT-type book/curio shop. I think they also sell plants for those who so wish.

It also appears to usually host temporary displays of one sort or another and regularly have "events". Currently (until early May) it has some spectacular wildlife photographs which certainly impressed me!

Overall, I am very happy to recommend Nunnington to prospective visitors!

2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed April 21, 2014

a pleaant and unexpected find, the gardens were interesting with lots for children to experience over the easter break. The Peacocks were great to see in the grounds

1  Thank Charles B
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This Yorkshire manor house and gardens is in a lovely location on the banks of the river Rye, the guides were very helpful in filling you in on the families that lived there and is furnished in the 1920's style which I believe was the last time it was a family home. Included in our tour was the Carlisle collection of miniature rooms and a photographic exhibition. The walled organic garden provides some of the produce for the tea rooms with waitress service that makes the ambience of the period decorations authentic. very pleasant visit.

1  Thank Graham P