“A very pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
Bristol
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We booked our break at the Felin Fach for our wedding anniversary after reading several rave reviews about the pub. Closer to our visit we became apprehensive due to some of the mixed (mostly negative) reviews on Tripadvisor.

However, we must say that the Felin Fach was a lovely break. The food was very good, the breakfast very relaxed and we received friendly service. I wouldn't say that the accomodation is deserving of all the high accolades - it is a little tired and basic.

However, it was a good value for money stay. Lovely atmosphere and a great part of the word.

• Liked — Relaxed atmosphere of pub
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank haddons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
London
Reviewed July 17, 2007

We stayed with our 10 month old daughter and were disappointed with the Griffin.

The literature in the rooms appears to indicate some flexibility with breakfast times (ie that it will be served between 8 and 10am) and wrongly states that the breakfast table is laid from 7.45am for cold breakfasts. However, before we went up to our room each night we were asked to state an exact time for breakfast. We wanted to eat when our daughter had gone down for her morning nap, though - and, of course, nap times usually differ depending on what time the baby wakes up/gets tired again! To have to state a particular time is not possible. But, even after we explained this, we were made to state a time and hold to it. (Because of "staff" timings).

So, we managed to enjoy breakfast on the Monday morning, but not on the Tuesday. Our daughter woke early on the Tuesday and we decided to come down for the cold breakfast at 7.45am, but the table wasn't laid. Another reason for coming down at 7.45am was because we did not have any milk in the room. The staff chased us up the stairs to check our timings for breakfast but didn't consider to remind us to have milk for the morning.

We also tried to change our timing for dinner on Sunday night, having been booked in for 8pm. We were in the bar at 7pm and asked if we could be seated earlier, but the officious restaurant manager (?) did not give us the impression that this would be possible, even though there were empty tables. We sat down at 7.45, in the end.

The food wasn't even that great - the scallops (3, cut into thirds?) came with a dusting of what tasted like cornflour (olive oil powder, apparently) and the John Dory we had was very salty. Breakfast was average.

Finally, we were told on booking that room 5 is large, but "noisy". We decided to go for a quieter but smaller room and chose Room 6, in the mistaken understanding (from the proprietors emails) that this room would be quiet. This really was not the case - noise from the restaurant comes through clearly to the room.

I am sure this is a great place for some, but I certainly would not recommend it for anyone looking for a break with young children.

• Liked — Some of the staff were lovely
  • Disliked — Inflexibility, noisy room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kdyt45
Newbury
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We were looking for a romantic getaway with the dog but no kids, so the choices are usually limited with said dog.

I emailed to check that the dog would be welcomed as you never can tell when the place looks so nice! I was emailed back by one of the owners and was assured that yes the dog would be welcome but they were fully booked for the Saturday night I had requested. A day later, the owner emailed me again from France to say that they had had a cancellation and if I was interested in rebooking. Which I did.

We spent a great day walking Pen Y Fan and a wander around Brecon stopping at a great Art Gallery as well. Brecon does not fill an afternoon so we ended up checking in at around half three on a Saturday afternoon.

It seemed we were the first guests and after checking out the room - immaculate, but a bit smaller than imagined, view overlooking a field of sheep and lambs was lovely though.
Bedding and towels were lovely and a towel laid out for Hamish the dog too. Did panic a bit about the no TV thing - but in the hotel info it did state that you could ask for one.... it seemed to be a bit of a sad thing to be not able to cope without one for one night (even though we would miss Match of the Day!) so we kept schtum!

We went to the bar; gorgeous flagged floor, beaten leather sofas, cushions, open fire, papers to read, games available for a quiet afternoons scrabble.... had a couple of wines and read the papers while hubby watched rugby in an adjoining room and dog laid out in front of fire.

Went up to the room and read and had a long bath.... complete with G&T was bliss.

Went out for a stroll with dog before dinner and had reserved a table in the bar (which I loved) tucked away but in the middle of it all - Hamish is obviously not allowed in dining room but it was nice that he could sleep under the table while we ate.

We were advised of the limited edition bottle fed Lamb they had available - which unashamedly I booked (tried not to look across the road at lambs anymore). Food was sublime but on the small side and I felt it could have been a bit more rustic and larger in portion size (esp for the husband who eats mansize all the time!)
We skipped puds but had some nice alcoholic coffees (I did have to send back as cold by the time we got them) but they did rectify immidiately.

The serive was slow - the pub gets very food busy and the staff seemed to be struggling. But did not spoil the evening.

Slept like logs and rose early for a stroll with the dogs (averting eyes from field full of last nights dinner at all times - even tho I could hear them in bed!)

Breakfast is served in the Aga Room, a large table, dressed perfectly for breakfast, we made our own toast on the aga, the cooked breakfast was not that great, would have prefered omelettes or something done well. All jams/yoghurts and juices were great though. Although we were slightly apprehensive about a 'shared breakfast' it was very nice.

All in all I would recommend and I would return. I even read you get a good deal on all bedrooms if a group of you go for the weekend or night - something worth a big birthday or anniv bash, if the deal is right ;o)

Think the dog enjoyed the attention and fuss he recieved in the bar as well.... all in all, not many good food establishments bother with the dog owners so it is a gem worth remembering... they also have one in Cornwall now so we will be trying that at some stage as well.

• Liked — The relaxed and stylish bar.
  • Disliked — Bath too small and no TV!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HamishNewbury
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We didn't check in until 6.30 in the evening as we'd spent the day walking in the Beacons. First impressions were better than expected - the picture on the website doesn't really do it justice. Warm welcome at reception, especially for our dog. We stayed in Room 1. Fourposter bed (although the mattress was rock hard). Nice views over the fields. Lovely bathroom, great shower, huge towels, White Company Bath and Shower products. We had been left a dog towel and dog bowls for water which is great when you're travelling with your dog.

They had reserved a table in the Bar for us as dogs aren't allowed in the proper restaurant, but this was perfect for our tastes. Huge roaring fire, plenty of atmosphere and dog was so tired from the walking she just fell asleep on the floor.

The food was very good. Lots of local produce featuring on the menu which is very good - Welsh lamb obviously, locally smoked salmon and black pudding, local organic in season vegetables. The chocolate tart and home made ice cream is just to die for.
They had some nice wines on the wine list, although they'd run out of our first choice.

Breakfast is at a huge table in front of the Aga. Get there early enough to get the soda bread and toast it on the Aga. Fresh coffee, orange juice, cereals and of course a full english breakfast if you want it. The breakfast was very good, proper sausages and bacon (none of that watery plastic wrapped stuff you get in supermarkets) a choice of chicken or duck eggs and local black pudding. Just right to set you up for another day of walking.

• Liked — dog friendly, great food, perfect location for walking in wales
  • Disliked — rock hard mattress
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JMuk
Wales
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Much hype, has already stated in another review, precedes any visit to this restaurant/hotel good enough - so it goes - to make it into the illustrious Welsh Rarebit magazine. Yet if you're looking for a bit of rustic atmosphere, oak beams, pleasantly choked by wood-smoke as you wallow on leather sofas before dining, then this one will be for you. The staff seem eager and up to the task, although I do detect a whiff of French influence that can have you feeling something of a hindrance without doing anything other than simply sitting there. This, thankfully, is not enough to have you in too much of a bother as it would in some restaurants in Paris.

But to the important bit: the food was very good indeed, holding up in the main to its top billing. I chose guinea fowl with puy lentils and mash and it was cooked beautifully. The menu itself had a nice if limited selection and given the chance I would be quite happy to try each in turn. I would definately recommend it.

• Stayed April 2007
2 Thank MWales
birmingham
Reviewed February 3, 2007

This was a christmas present from my husband, two nights relaxing and eating at the Griffin in Brecon. It was late when we pulled up, I have to be honest if you was going to judge a book by its cover, you might not pick to book this place, judging on the outside, its by a very busy road. and doesn't look like it has much character.

I am glad my husband checked it out first, it was like stepping into someones farm house, all old leather sofas by an open fire, papers strewn about, old wooden tables with mis-matched chairs, the smell of the fire was enough to feel as if I'd come home.

We signed in and got our key for the room. The first thing I noticed was not TV,I looked panic striken as I relayed this information to my husband, he explained the Griffin prefer you to talk and relax rather than watch TV. Make conversation I thought we're married for godsakes, what are we going to talk about. No seriously once I'd got my head round the idea, I actually started to chill out and relax.

We got ready and went down to the bar for a pre dinner drink. Four halfs of lager later (that was just me) I was relaxed and ready for dinner. We both chose smoked salmon and ribeye steak with chips and green beans, I know matching dinners, we'll be getting the matching cardi's next! The food was fab, couldn't be faulted. We skipped pud and had a extremely large latte and off to bed.

The beds are so comfy with lovely crisp white linen all fluffy and comfy, only complaint the room was sweltering, so a lot of throwing the quilt off, throwing it back on etc etc all night.

Got up from breakfast, walked into the breakfast room horrifed to find one massive big table where we all sat round together having breakfast. I am not a sociable person with people I don't know, but I got on with it. Loved the breakfast cereals in the big jars, the freshly squeezed orange juice and the fact you could choose what you wanted for breakfast, it wasn't just left out for you to help yourself, which as we know can be dangerous, some of us just don't know when to stop eating!!

Spent the day ambling around Brecon and Hay on Wye book hunting and nosing around the shops. Got back and got ready for dinner.

This time I had scallops for starter and cornfed chicken, lentils and mash for main, my husband had risotto for starter and venison and chips for main. Beautiful again, the restaurant is not very big, but lit by candlelight with the fire burning very romantic. Smaller coffee this time and off to bed.

Will definately be going again, probably nearer to Christmas as I feel it would be quite magical here and at Hay.

Great choice, great value, came away happy, relaxing and very full!!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank llarvin
Hagley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2006

We stayed here as a get together with some friends on a Saturday night. The welcome was great, lovely open fires, newspapers and a nice glass of wine, what more could you want? Rooms were fine, but varied. Our friend's room was considerably bigger than ours, no TV but then again you're there to escape. Food was excellent, quite pricey but it was what we expected. Must admit, the service started well but deteriorated over the night, but nothing too major. We would definitely consider going again.

• Liked — Nice cosy atmosphere - great in the winter
  • Disliked — Varying room size and standards
  • Tips/Secrets — pay extra for the four poster bedrooms.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Crickhowell
The Lake Country House & Spa
The Lake Country House & Spa
#1 of 1 in Llangammarch Wells

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!