“THE Place to stay for waking in the Brecons”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with family and friends for my surprise 60th birthday celebration. It was a great weekend. All 12 of us enjoyed excellent hospitality. There was a good choice of well prepared and presented food. The choice of beers and wines was very good. And they dried 12 sets of wet walking gear and boots. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Nick B

Reviewed March 15, 2013

After such a dreary winter, this two-day break couldn’t have come at a better time – for a start we were blessed with great weather for the weekend of our stay which made walking in the Brecons a great experience and most importantly we were looked after at the Felin Fach by such amazing staff who presented beautiful food for every meal and for whom nothing was too much trouble – even by making us flasks of hot chocolate to take on our hike up Sugar Loaf mountain as part of the annual Crickhowell Walking Festival.

We took advantage of the Sunday Sleepover deal for which they are well known. Arrive for a Sunday lunch, check-in to your cosy room and then while away a few hours before being served a three-course dinner. Added to which, breakfast the next day is included in the package price. What could be better…. Well another night’s stay of course - which we did.

Having stayed at their sister hotel in Cornwall, I was hoping that the Felin would be as great. We weren’t disappointed. To use a Welsh word, we had such a 'cwtchy' and cosy time and completely recharged our batteries.

Roaring fire, squishy squashy sofas, a fabulous wine list, a cute bar area and several quirky little rooms and dinky corners to dine added to the convivial atmosphere.

Plus my sister and I were able to catch up on some much-needed ‘girl’ time. What could be better?

Highly recommended and will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had the Sunday Sleepover to celebrate my husband's birthday and endorse all the positive comments made by reviewers. Our room, No3, was cosy and characterful with a wonderfully comfortable bed. The food at both lunch and dinner was imaginative and well cooked. Service was slick and friendly. There's really not a lot more you can want. We will certainly return and visit the sister properties in Cornwall.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've passed The Griffin hundreds of times over the years when travelling between North and South Wales. However, through the misfortune of having another establishment cancel my overnight booking, I was booked into The Griffin instead, and am now kicking myself for not stopping here before.
The room I had was OK - a bit small, and if I had wanted to do some paper work that evening it would have been difficult due to lack of desk space. However, the room was spotlessly clean, and the bathroom had White Company toiletries. Lovely - one of my favourites! Bed and pillows -comfortable, duvet - hot (but maybe says more about my time of life!)
Having overcome the trauma of no wi-fi and no reliable phone signal...and then realising that there was no television in the room either - I turned to the radio on the bedside and found myself relaxing. By the time I went downstairs for dinner I was completely out of work-mode, and the warm cosiness of the bar area, with the squishy leather sofas and rocking chair made me relax even more.
Dinner was fabulous! I had the spiced crabmeat balls, beef rib (cooked to perfection!) with mildly curried cauliflower, and even though I was determined not to have a dessert - succumbed to the creme brûlée. The wine list is excellent - and because they're willing to do most by the glass or carafe it's possible to mix and match with the food.
Breakfast was also good - with really good quality back bacon and sausage. The home-mixed muesli was also really good. Apple juice makes a welcome change from orange juice.
So - I will be back - but with my dog the next time ;-) I think he would appreciate the stack of blankets and dog biscuits that are available for doggie guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We called into this place for lunch on our way to somewhere else last year and vowed to return again. So we treated ourselves to the "Sunday 'Sleepover" recently and had a lovely 24 hours. Not only is the "contemporary country" pub/restaurant a nice environment but the staff cannot do enough for you - or your dogs! It's great to find somewhere that is so dog friendly without any compromise on standards. The food is absolutely amazing - we could have ordered everything on the menu and each dish that we did choose gave back what it promised and more. Just remember that supper is as big as dinner so leave room for your second three course dinner of the day!

This place and it's staff really operate at the top end of customer service. They work to give you an experience whilst staying with them. So many could learn from The Felin Fach.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My sister and I recently stayed at The Felin Fach for 2 nights whilst we were walking in the Brecon Beacons

We arrived on the Sunday to a warm welcome from the staff and had an amazing 'lazy Sunday lunch' which was superb. We then retired for coffee in front of a roaring fire before we were promptly shown to our room which was lovely.

The beds and duvets were so comfortable , it was like sleeping on a cloud !!

Dinner was again faultless as was breakfast .

The staff were excellent, very professional, warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

We felt as if we had been away for a week as The Felin Fach is such a relaxing hotel and we will return!

Thank you to all staff for a wonderful stay.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

As a sister hotel to The Gurnards Head this hotel is an equal. On arrival we were shown to our room which was well prepared for both human and dog guests. There was also a towel especially for the dog together with some welcome treats! Set on the edge of the Brecon Beacons the hotel gives easy access to Hay on Wye, Brecon and Abergavenny as well as excellent walking opportunities.

The menu reflects the local produce with venison, beef, pork all locally sourced and cooked to perfection. The fish was excellently cooked with added touches such as Queen Scallops cooked and served in a veloute with raisons and curry. The hotel has a choice of 3 eating rooms including one where the dog is welcome!

Breakfast is served in the Library and again makes excellent use of local produce. Freshly cooked
scrambled eggs with locally smoked salmon was a great way to start the day.

Of course the dog was also well supplied with biscuits and treats.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Felin Fach
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
Gliffaes Country House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crickhowell

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!