New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Excellent food and a warm welcome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Felin Fach Griffin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
You added The Felin Fach Griffin to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and a warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've passed The Griffin hundreds of times over the years when travelling between North and South Wales. However, through the misfortune of having another establishment cancel my overnight booking, I was booked into The Griffin instead, and am now kicking myself for not stopping here before.
The room I had was OK - a bit small, and if I had wanted to do some paper work that evening it would have been difficult due to lack of desk space. However, the room was spotlessly clean, and the bathroom had White Company toiletries. Lovely - one of my favourites! Bed and pillows -comfortable, duvet - hot (but maybe says more about my time of life!)
Having overcome the trauma of no wi-fi and no reliable phone signal...and then realising that there was no television in the room either - I turned to the radio on the bedside and found myself relaxing. By the time I went downstairs for dinner I was completely out of work-mode, and the warm cosiness of the bar area, with the squishy leather sofas and rocking chair made me relax even more.
Dinner was fabulous! I had the spiced crabmeat balls, beef rib (cooked to perfection!) with mildly curried cauliflower, and even though I was determined not to have a dessert - succumbed to the creme brûlée. The wine list is excellent - and because they're willing to do most by the glass or carafe it's possible to mix and match with the food.
Breakfast was also good - with really good quality back bacon and sausage. The home-mixed muesli was also really good. Apple juice makes a welcome change from orange juice.
So - I will be back - but with my dog the next time ;-) I think he would appreciate the stack of blankets and dog biscuits that are available for doggie guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We called into this place for lunch on our way to somewhere else last year and vowed to return again. So we treated ourselves to the "Sunday 'Sleepover" recently and had a lovely 24 hours. Not only is the "contemporary country" pub/restaurant a nice environment but the staff cannot do enough for you - or your dogs! It's great to find somewhere that is so dog friendly without any compromise on standards. The food is absolutely amazing - we could have ordered everything on the menu and each dish that we did choose gave back what it promised and more. Just remember that supper is as big as dinner so leave room for your second three course dinner of the day!

This place and it's staff really operate at the top end of customer service. They work to give you an experience whilst staying with them. So many could learn from The Felin Fach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My sister and I recently stayed at The Felin Fach for 2 nights whilst we were walking in the Brecon Beacons

We arrived on the Sunday to a warm welcome from the staff and had an amazing 'lazy Sunday lunch' which was superb. We then retired for coffee in front of a roaring fire before we were promptly shown to our room which was lovely.

The beds and duvets were so comfortable , it was like sleeping on a cloud !!

Dinner was again faultless as was breakfast .

The staff were excellent, very professional, warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

We felt as if we had been away for a week as The Felin Fach is such a relaxing hotel and we will return!

Thank you to all staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Helston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

As a sister hotel to The Gurnards Head this hotel is an equal. On arrival we were shown to our room which was well prepared for both human and dog guests. There was also a towel especially for the dog together with some welcome treats! Set on the edge of the Brecon Beacons the hotel gives easy access to Hay on Wye, Brecon and Abergavenny as well as excellent walking opportunities.

The menu reflects the local produce with venison, beef, pork all locally sourced and cooked to perfection. The fish was excellently cooked with added touches such as Queen Scallops cooked and served in a veloute with raisons and curry. The hotel has a choice of 3 eating rooms including one where the dog is welcome!

Breakfast is served in the Library and again makes excellent use of local produce. Freshly cooked
scrambled eggs with locally smoked salmon was a great way to start the day.

Of course the dog was also well supplied with biscuits and treats.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've had the pleasure of both staying and supping at the FFG a couple of times in the last few years. It's never failed to provide sumptuous food and rooms that are cosy havens, especially for couples.

Last weekend, we met with mates on a return visit; taking in a decent walk in hills surrounding Brecon. Muddy, freezing and tired, beating a retreat to the FFG was the perfect cure. Couple of pints of Mid-Walian real ale proved to be the perfect muscle relaxant before heading upstairs to freshen up for dinner. Amusingly, the hotel's hot water policy suggests that if there's not enough to go around then you should pop down to the bar for a free glass of Prosecco. Disappointingly, there was ample hot water to wallow in, though it did save the bar patrons the sight of me in a towel.

Dinner was thoroughly competently constructed and presented. My scallops were balanced nicely by a cauliflower velouté (although it was very similar in flavour to the celeriac soup amuse bouche). My main of venison was simply perfect, I've not had better. Very nice wines to complement the food, there's been some clever work here behind the scenes.

The main joy of the FFG is the comfort and merciful isolation. Road noise is next to negligible; the beds and duvets envelop you in happy dreams. The lack of TV, often stated to be a down side, is a real plus. Similarly, the dodgy mobile phone reception may enthral or antagonise the guest - it depends on your own needs. The helpful barman did suggest that we could use their phone for free if required.

Dog owners will find this to be an amazingly well catered venue. Dogs may stay in rooms, eat with guests and play with the local mutt. Ask for the walking guidebook as created by the staff - it's an informative and brilliant read - love the local touch.

All in all, it's a home, not a hotel - simply the perfect rest cure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brecon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

we had lunch at the Griffin recently. I had a crab starter which contained minimal crab, I prefer to know (by taste) what I am actually eating, such a small amount of crab detracted from the quality big time. I had a ploughman's and my wife had a beef broth as main courses. The cheese was good on the ploughman's but not exceptional. The beef broth was good and had obviously been slow cooked. The desert which my wife had (a rhubarb dish) was simply awful, the rhubarb was almost raw, i have never heard of al dente being applied to rhubarb before. The beer I ordered on arrival was pulled with all the aplomb of someone who cared more about ease of dispensing than quality of taste for the purchaser, it was flat and tasteless.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank G_EvansWales
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have been here a few years ago with friends. Decided to book again with same friends as had an excellent time before. Had a good long walk in the day to build up an appetite for the evening meal. Turned up and had some good Welsh real ale, and then a much needed bath before supper. Brought the dog with us this time and what a dog friendly venue. The doggy store cupboard is a nice touch. Also good that they let you leave them in the room whilst you are in the restaurant but also have a table available if you want to dine with your dog. So many places don't trust you to leave them but our dog much prefers a nice quiet snooze after a long walk than sitting in a bustling restaurant. And now to the food, a lovely amuse bouche to start. Then our group had scallops, pork rillettes and oak roasted salmon. All received good reports. For main three of us couldn't resist the rib eye with one opting for the venison, all perfectly cooked. For pudding, we went for the cheeseboard and creme brulee with the associated recommended drinks.
Took the dog out for a walk before retiring to the bar and the settee's in front of the fire. Only downside is the stay wasn't long enough, would love to come back for longer.

• Stayed February 2013
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cwmtaf
4.0 of 5 stars 644 reviews

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!