“Elegant Country House”
Review of Llangoed Hall

Llangoed Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llyswen
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is probably the only 5 stars that I have given. This Hotel continues the Country House tradition with impeccable discrete service, within an elegant interior. There is even a Bechstein piano that guests can use in the drawing room. We upgraded to the State Wing which provided fine views over the countryside with four poster bed, high ceiling and a newly refurbished luxury large bathroom, complete with dressing gowns and slippers. We ate in the immaculate dining room, the food being excellent (with prices to match).
We had a voucher deal for bed and (excellent breakfast), and hope to revisit in the future.

Room Tip: Try the rooms in the State Wing.
2  Thank John L

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We recently stayed at the hotel for my brother and sister-in-law's wedding. Although living local to the hotel we'd never even been down the drive. There's a lovely drive down to the hotel which is stunning, in a fantastic setting in the Wye valley.

The hotel is a lovely country house and we stayed in room 7 which still has the original Laura Ashley wallpaper. The room was huge and large enough for us and our two children who we'd asked to stay within our room. There was a lovely large bathroom with roll top bath and a fantastic shower. The view over the croquet lawn towards the river Wye was breathtaking.

There's great little touches such as Sherry in the room with crystal glasses and tea and coffee was brought to the room for us. The food at the reception was lovely and the beef fillet was the best we'd ever tasted. The staff were all friendly and professional and we'll definitely be back when we've saved the pennies!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ChuckSid
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Amazed at the space, comfort and high level finish of our room (least expensive room on Llangoed's tariff). Minor niggles (wardrobe latch malfunction, four attempts required to get an answer from Reception desk) - we blown away by many positives (courteous staff, overnight shoe-shine, free in-room tea and coffee deliveries) and then by the astonishing Chef's Recommendation menu. I never expected to write that a £130 pp tasting menu (not including wine) was good value - but that's how it felt! The beef fillet and quail courses were particular highlights - but others were close behind (the only exception for me was the foie gras - which while delicious, was accompanied by just too rich within the context of a 10 course banquet).
Overall - terrific - and we will be looking for a chance to return (once we've saved enough pennies!)

2  Thank Foodandkindness
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We were travelling in Wales with friends and had chosen this hotel as it seemed somewhere to stay that would be a bit special. We were settled into rooms 14 and 15 (I think), which were definitely at the cheaper end of the hotel. Llangoed Hall is a stunning country house, which feels quite formal, though the staff were pleasant enough. The Hall is set in beautiful countryside and is within easy reach walking distance of the River Wye.

We joined our friends for pre-dinner drinks but were a little disappointed at the selection of gin available, considering the standing of the hotel. We ate in the restaurant, all choosing the tasting menu after it was pointed out quite firmly that the four of us must choose from the same menu so that the dishes could be brought to the table in unison. Each course was beautifully presented and quite delicious. The service was very good too. Breakfast was excellent, silver service and cooked to order.

Sadly our friends had very little sleep because of the noise of a fan or a fridge in the kitchen beneath their room (avoid). They protested at check-out and the 10% service charge (discretionary apparently) applied to all bills was removed to ease their disappointment.

Sadly, we will not be staying again - Llangoed Hall wasn't quite as special as we had expected.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Slenderela
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stunning setting for this beautiful hotel. Very attentive staff, comfortable bedrooms with everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard. However, it loses a star because of the over-priced dinner menu, which was almost on a par with top notch London restaurants. The food was well-presented, but all rather busy with a number of different flavours on one plate. Generally, I would recommend this hotel but be prepared for a hefty food bill.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel is amazing! The Laura Ashley styling is a perfect accompaniment to this very grand Hall. The standard of service and cleanliness are second to none. The views from every room are lovely, rolling hills and fresh fields. The Afternoon Tea is an absolute must but you must book in advance! A choice of Teas and the most stunning selection of freshly made cakes.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the back of house have the best views.
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is with great distress I find myself having to write this review, but felt it necessary to share my unfortunate experience. In January my father booked two nights at Llangoed Hall as my mom and him were travelling to a memorial service for a relative. It was booked via booking.com whose policy is being able to cancel up to 24 hours before arrival. My dad always dealt with holidays etc but did tell me that should there be any issues we can cancel right up to the day before . . excellent. Sadly, in between booking and travelling my dad passed away which was obviously very upsetting, but more so as I was due to get married in March also. Naturally I cancelled the wedding and everyone was wonderful as we have not lost a penny despite such a short notice cancellation. Then, once the funeral arrangements were made and we were trying to think of what else needed to be taken care of, we realised that we needed to cancel this hotel reservation, as my mom felt she could not travel 8 days after my dad's funeral, particularly on a weekend that they should have been enjoying together. They were due to arrive at LLangoed Hall on March 14th, and when we telephoned to cancel on the morning of the 12th, we were informed that we would have to pay the full £250 booking! Understandably I was upset as I thought we were inside the time to cancel, even if it had been 2 days notice, we were well inside 48 hours of check in time! Until this point I had no issue with Llangoed Hall, I simply asked her to contact her manager, explain the circumstances of the cancellation and that we were only 10 hours late according to their policy. Surely they could understand that planning my father's funeral was at the front of my mind? She called back and informed me that the charge stood. At this point, I asked to speak to the person in the most senior position as surely they could show some empathy and understanding. After all, people are usually put in responsible positions so that they can use their discretion at times like these. This is when I had my first dealing with Calum [--]. He stood by his hostile decision to still charge us in full but offered a 30 day voucher to redeem another time. When trying to reason with him that the circumstances are unusual I was made to feel that I was lying as he told me 'we get this kind of thing a lot'! I responded by asking 'people's father's dying?' and he said yes! I felt I was spoken to in a disgusting manner considering I had just buried my father. When i asked him to extend the voucher beyond 30 days his response was 'I don't have to give you a voucher at all', so I explained that it would be too soon and too painful for us to travel so quickly and he told me that 'actually lots of people take him up on that offer as it helps them get away from it all and reflect.' I felt enraged that he felt in a position to advise me and my family how we should deal with our grief. This man showed no empathy, and a total lack of good customer service skills. He made me feel that I was lying to get my money back and completely trivialised the situation by making out this happens all the time, which I find very difficult to believe. All in all, a total lack of understanding on how to deal with such a sensitive issue, and clearly Calum [--] has massively let down the reputation of this beautiful establishment. I have simply told the truth about my experience, not embellished or lashed out. I hope that before people choose to line Calum [--]s pockets with their hard earned cash that they stop and think 'Do I really want to support this man after how he treated this family?'

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
29  Thank rcpickering1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Caer Beris Manor Hotel
Caer Beris Manor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Builth Wells
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Llangoed Hall? Share your experiences!