“idyllic, natural,”

Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens
Reviewed July 20, 2014

this garden is natural, Its unique, its different, its living with nature. And I will visit again, and again. love it

3  Thank Debs P

Reviewed July 19, 2014

A place often isn't as good as you'd hoped - but at Stllingfleet is was better - much better. First there was the friendly welcome of the owner - then the gardens. Something for every gardener - obviously lovingly planted and looked after. Natural planting abounds. Hens, Guinea Fowl also. Could have just moved in and never left. A place for the lover of the cottage garden or just a lover of nature. Good plant nursery also - with very reasonably priced plants (compared to the larger garden centres). Would definitely, definitely go again. The day we visited there was a torrential down pour - and we still loved it! The pond was especially lovely in the rain - but there were lots of places to shelter! Also had an encounter with a shrew! Perfect!

3  Thank Sally C
Vanessa C, Owner at Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you for coming and enjoying the garden on the wettest day of the year !

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The record needs to be set straight here. We visited in the midst of a storm, and it was a joy. We were three resonably knowledgable gardeners, and we filled our boot and the spare seat in the car with a selection of some very unusual plants, despite being soaked to the skin, we left cooing with joy. This is a garden for all levels of gardener, with helpful and knowlegable advice dispensed at the till. A mini gardners' question time was included with our admission. We missed a visit to the tea shop, so the only bit of Scottiegaga's critique that I might follow, is to visit the tea shop when we come again, and come again we will!!!!!! This is one of the best gardens we have visited and we have visited many.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Having planned to visit Vanessa Cook's garden since hearing her speak at the Hardy Plant Society's conference in May 2011 my friends and I started our afternoon in her lovely tea shop where charming young ladies were very attentive and the food was excellent. Sadly, this was the highlight of our trip. The gardens are in dire need of some good gardening. Yes they are full of plants but most of them needing pruning, the borders are overgrown and somehow sad and the selection of plants is unexciting. Three plantaholics and we didn't buy a single plant!

1  Thank Scottiegaga

How sad I was to read that you had not enjoyed your visit here. This is an organic garden which is designed and managed to attract and protect wildlife. We collect seeds for the nursery and for our visitors, so at this time of the year some seed heads will be left, for us and the birds to enjoy. There are many areas of the garden, from the cottage garden planting to the very modern rill garden where visitors find peace, tranquility and interesting planting and I am disappointed that you did not and I realize that we cannot please everyone, luckily most people love our garden.
The nursery contains over 800 different herbaceous plants, including over 100 hardy geraniums 18 Pulmonaria and 4 plants which were named after this garden and as an ancient 'Hardy Planter' myself I am passionate about growing a wide range of unusual and interesting plants. I wonder if you had had a chance to look at the catalogue on our website before visiting ?

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed a workshop on Building and Maintaining a pond at Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens today. It was a relaxed and informal talk with the advantage of been able to go into the garden and see the ponds there and see the theory put into practise. John was very knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions, I came away full of enthusiasm to start building my own pond. I hope I can achieve one as beautiful as Stillingfleets, and hopefully I will be sat next to mine next year with a glass of wine! It's a beautiful tranquil garden full of interesting planting, and of course I came away with a few plants from the excellent stocked nursery.

1  Thank Sarah c

Thank you for coming on the pond course. I too learnt more about pond management and hope you will be drinking wine by your pond next year as we do here when ever it is good weather