“Nice enough”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice enough”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went here with a groupon. Clearly the owner spends lots of time in the gardens - she's very knowledgeable, the gardens are very well maintained and planting is wonderfully diverse. The wildflower meadow at the back is lovely and there's lots of different areas to wander around, it's just a shame there was so little for the kids to do (chicken spotting grew old fairly quickly and the playpark is minimal). Great for adults, not so great for kids unless there's an event on.

york
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A real living garden”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a wonderful inspiring place to visit. It is a real living garden full of life - not like so many manicured and tightly controlled gardens that feel devoid of soul. I have an annual pass for the garden so visit regularly and enjoy seeing the garden evolve from spring through to early autumn. It is packed with interesting plants, wildlife and hens & geese and there are different garden spaces from which I take inspiration & ideas for my own garden. The self service cafe is great with gardening magazines, leaflets & art to browse over a cuppa and the cakes are delicious! Quite a few plants from the well stocked quality nursery are now flourishing in my own garden - I have to be very disciplined to leave without something else to make room for in my garden! It's well worth a visit but do check the website for opening times as it's not open every day.

Visited August 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Jewel on the doorstep”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have lived in this area for years and only just found this jewel on our doorstep. Lovely, peaceful gardens with plenty of interest whatever the season. Make sure you venture into the tea room and partake in the homemade cakes! The kids will love the special nature days and the crazy chickens.

Cambridge, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“This garden has a big heart”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've just visited this garden for the fourth time this summer. Need I say more? I took a guest last week and another this week. It's where I take friends and guests in the sure knowledge that they will enjoy it. They are always enchanted. This is a garden where one strolls, inspects, learns and is taken by surprise (the Rill Garden!). When one finally leaves (healthy purchased plants in hand, carrier bag or box) one leaves inspired. Our 2013 summer has been glorious and this garden remains a constant delight. It's alive with butterflies and bees - I bought two jars of John Cook's delicious honey, made by what must be the happiest bees in Yorkshire. We always start with a cup of tea and cake in the cool of the courtyard before setting off for a slow, relaxed perambulation. The wattle garden, the Rill, the meadow, the pond....everything on a human scale. As one walks around, one encounters hens and chickens, scrubbing about or sitting on fences. I bought a dozen eggs, as I did last week. This garden is balm. Or, as one of my guests so aptly put it, 'This garden has a big heart.'

1 Thank RoeCambridgeUK
York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lovely afternoon out.....”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I live quite near to Stillingfleet Gardens, but I have never paid a visit until today. I can highly recommend it...it is a truly lovely peaceful and tranquil place to browse around. The gardens are really well maintained and the coffee shop is a fabulous place to stop for a nice hot or cold drink, a piece of cake or an ice cream.

The rare breed poultry wandering about in the gardens are quite comical to watch with their little fat feathery legs.

The colours of the various flowers and plants was amazing....I took lots of photos.

Definitely go and pay a visit if you are in the area.