“Lovely bank holiday lunch”
Review of The Fairfax Arms

The Fairfax Arms
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Malton, United Kingdom
“Lovely bank holiday lunch”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We visited the Fairfax Arms today for lunch with friends. I phoned and booked a table and was given the option of eating in the bar or restaurant. The service was excellent, we were given plenty of time to enjoy a drink whilst browsing the menu. The food was well presented and tasty, good portion sizes. The ambience in the pub was inviting and staff were observed being attentive to tables, without being intrusive. A lovely experience which we will repeat!! Well worth a visit if you havent already been.

• Visited May 2014

York, United Kingdom
“Cracking country pub”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We took the walk from Ampleforth Abbey to Gilling (2.5 miles / 5 mile round trip)

It's a cracking country pub, pretty, good ales & good food.

Petworth, United Kingdom
“Must have dined on the wrong night”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

The other reviews for The Fairfax Arms restaurant are very good and I wish I could say the same but unfortunately this is not the case. The ambience is lovely with a well thought out country decorative scheme and the staff were very friendly, but the food was a mixed affair. My husband enjoyed his meal, although the lemon meringue pie was unlike any I have seen before BUT it did taste nice and tangy. My starter was dreadful - prawns with sweet chilli sauce - dry, lukewarm prawns with a woody taste and a brown smear of something that didn't taste of sweet chilli. The main course was a delicious piece of duck, perfectly executed, but spoilt by hard potato and a slimy piece of pak choi. The cheese was hard and non-descript. The Fairfax Arms make their own delicious biscuits for guests so why not make their own oat biscuits for cheese instead of a selection fresh from the supermarket? It could have been so easy to make this meal a good experience, but sadly I was disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
Malton, United Kingdom
“I'm not always easy to please!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We are fortunate enough to be surrounded by outstanding places to eat, so I'm not easily pleased (you might say I've become spoilt!). My husband and I dined here on a Saturday evening and although it was very busy it just added to the wonderful ambience of this quaint pub. The staff were simply amazing, juggling several tables each, but never coming across as rude, or too pushed for time to stay for a friendly chat. They constantly checked in on us, we felt well looked after and although we waited a bit longer for our main meal, we knew it had been noticed by the staff and a complimentary top up to our wine meant the wait didn't feel like long at all! The menu was a perfect selection - the only problem we had was choosing between all the fabulous options. We finally settled for duck and the lamb followed by gorgeous puddings - apple crumble and a baileys parfait. We will certainly be going back.

• Visited March 2014
York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Sunday lunch.
Bar man very good - got us a table organised despite being very busy. The rest of the waiting staff seemed very inexperienced and forgot numerous things that had been asked of them and had to remind of a few times. Also we didn't get a single smile off any member of staff - except the Barman they all looked miserable !
Food was ok. The pork was literally smothered in apple sauce which spoilt everything else on the plate. Crackling was just soft - no crunch to it so was left on all our plates. Roast potatoes anaemic. Yorkshire puddings very good. I have heard this pub is related in some way to the Pub in Ampleforth which serves a far superior roast dinner so it is a shame.
The pub itself is beautiful and am sure with a few tweaks the food can be massively improved and a change of waiting staff may be on the cards.
We would try again in a few months to see if if had improved as it does have the foundations of a great place.

• Visited February 2014