“Consistent !”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Consistent !”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Visited this place a few times after bloke at work recommended it , every time we have been it has always consistently delivered great food.
From the outside , what used to be an old railway pub the place looks a bit tired as indeed does the decor inside. Always a warm friendly greeting and the service is great. We went as a family , had a 3 course meal with a couple of drinks each and it worked out at around £16 per head, I think that is pretty good value . The food as always was really tasty , well cooked and plentiful. The salt and pepper ribs they do here are an absolute triumph !
Great food , great value, great service and a warm welcome , definitely well worth a visit .

• Visited January 2013

Boroughbridge, United Kingdom
“great value for money, big menu, excellent food.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

we have been here five times now, always been good service, could do with a little refurbishment but the food is very good indeed. I note that the owner is a dim sum chef, would really love it if they added dim sum to menu, even if it was a restricted day or time. Can only compliment this place for eating at very good value for money.
Awaiting my next visit, by the way the portions are really large, but try the banquets they are the
best I have had recently.

• Visited December 2012
Easingwold, United Kingdom
“Excellent Cantonese!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great food and plenty of it!, Excellent price and service. Have used Chans place many times as eat in and take away and always pleased! Highly pleased!

Visited December 2012
“Horrendous management, shouting at staff the whole night, embarrassing and could not finish meal due to this”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had heard mixed reviews and so decided to try it, my grandad owned the pub when it was the station inn and so brought back memories! The decor is very dated, paper table clothes and cold plates!
Our meal came and the starters were lovely if not a little cold. The next thing all your could hear in the restaurant in front of customers was the manager chan having a go at a young waiter! This continued throughout our meal to the point where me and my mum just couldn't eat anymore as felt sick with the way he was shouting at the young waiter! I then got up to say something but my mum beat me to it, it was disgusting, the young guy then waited in the bar area to be collected to go home where chan continued to pull him to pieces in front of
People sat in the bar area! Apparently this is normal and he cannot keep his staff! One local who knew my dad said this could go on for a week, and chan has lost customers over it!
We will never ever go back to this hell hole. I'm now at home at feel sick at how he treated his staff, HR would have a field day here! This place needs to be closed down and he should be never aloud to manage anywhere ever again!!! From the birdsall and Dawson family

3 Thank Helendawson84
hartlepool
“Only if you are desperate”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The fact that this place is ranked #3 in Tollerton says it all because there is only this place and the black horse,
The restaurant itself was dirty, cobwebs full of dead flies on the ceilings in the conservatory, the table was falling to bits and at one point i thought it was actually going to snap in half while we were eating.
But lets start at the very beginning, we entered the building and stood at the bar which was unattended while Chan the owner was talking to the only other customers, (4 people) for approx 5-10 mins. When he decided to come over to us we asked for a table his response to us was "for 4 of them" yes we were a party of 4.

We were taken to a table that was set with knives and forks, (which were so big they looked like they belonged in the farm fields as spades), two places had chop sticks 2 did not, all places had fortune cookies and wet wipes. Chan then took our drinks order and gave us menu's
All 4 menus were different, priced different and had different set meals on, which we brought to the waitresses attention later in the evening.

The waitress took our food order and came back to offer us drinks, which we had ordered when seated but still had not received.

Eventually drinks arrived followed shortly by our starters. Myself and my husband decided on a banquet meal for two, with a mixed starter which was supposed to have crispy seaweed, I think there may have been half a teaspoon of it. There was some kind of meat ball but as it was as dry as sticks and almost black i declined to eat it. The ribs were nice in comparison to the rest.

When the main meal came, what a dissapointment. King prawn with water chestnuts, prawns were like plastic and had no flavour. Sweet and sour chicken, had to ask the waitress what it was we were eating, I thought it was duck husband thought it was pork so was surprised when she said it was chicken, and the final dish was Duck in Plum sauce, again had to as what it was we thought it was beef shezuan but the sliced almonds on it confused us.

The special fried rice was very plastic like, greasy and tasteless. Had better from Uncle Bens micro rice.
One of our friends had ordered chicken and pinapple, the chicken was processed and looked horrible. We also had to take cutlery from the table behind us as what we used on starters was not replaced.
The plates that were brought out for us to eat from were chipped and cracked as was the milk jug and tea pot that was brought out at the end of the meal and as mentioned earlier the table was literately falling to pieces and the seat pads on chairs were badly stained.
I have been reading other reviews of this place and can only sit and shake my head in bewilderment at the glowing comments. All I can say is some people have little to compare to, and in all fairness if you want a good meal DONT EAT HERE I will never ever in a decade of Sundays return to this establishment, i would rather eat the grass on the campsite in the next village

• Visited August 2012