“KGBeware!!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
St Helens, United Kingdom
“KGBeware!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

As I was having mobility problems at the time, when my hubby rang to book in our date he spoke to a lady called Colleen and asked for a lower floor room. The only room available was a family room and we were to pay a £30 supplement on arrival, which I did not mind paying for. He was then asked to forward our voucher via email which he did and received confirmation of, so we assumed as they now had a copy of the voucher we would not need to take a printed voucher.

On arrival we were then asked by the female owner (?) for a copy of the said voucher to which we explained the above. She said they did not have it and we would not be able to stay without it. As we had travelled about 90 miles for our stay this was not the welcome we were expecting. We were then told we would have to pay the full amount if we did not produce a copy of the voucher, even though my hubby had already explained that he had emailed it to them at the time of booking.

Our room was nice and tidy, overlooking the garden which was nice except for the cigarette smoke coming people/staff standing at the door smoking beneath the window and the dogs barking. Also there was no complimentary toileteries so we had to go out and buy these. I think the loo roll was Asda Value range too (not what you expect from a hotel).

The breakfast was just a normal English breakfast, nothing special and the coffee was lukewarm and just a tiny cupfull each.

After going back to our room and getting ready for our day out, I went to reception to try to resolve the issue of the missing voucher, even got it up on my phone and showed it to her and proceeded to resend it from my phone by email.

On our return in the evening I asked Pete if they had received my email to which I got the reply "I don't know nothing about it". I think his main interest was hogging the TV and having a tipple.

The following morning a male member of staff (maybe son) politely came to me and asked if I could log into my account to print off my voucher.........as last someone with some common sense!!!

This break was meant to be a relaxing treat but due to the incompetence of some people and their downright rude attitude it turned out to be quite stressful and I was quite looking forward to getting back in work.

The voucher certainly did not reflect the full worth of this hotel and I feel the 'deal' price was more true to form. Next time it will be back to Premier Inn for us.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Beautybuzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
leven,fife,scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good points for the Beechwood Close is that the owners and staff are nice and friendly. We were made to feel most welcome when we arrived and the nice young lass even offered to carry our luggage to our room for us which we declined but thanked her anyway. After being shown to our room some 42 stairs later I think that the girl knew the 'climb' that awaited us. No matter, her intentions were good. The food is plentiful and well presented although my wife did comment that her plate was 'tasteless' most of the time we were there. The older gentleman who served us drinks on our last evening seemed more interested in the TV remote than us, even when I had to return a glass of wine untouched that had someone else's lipstick still on the glass he just kind of shrugged and made some comment about 'it,s difficult to tell nowadays if the lipstick came from a male or female' then duly poured the contents from the dirty glass to another one! I gathered that this gent was the father figure and he is mentioned in previous reviews. Unfortunately dirty glasses appeared again throughout the course of our stay. My bed in room 15 had a 'dent' in the middle which made getting out at the second attempt 'interesting'. There is a main road running right passed the hotel which is both noisy and busy so be warned. The city centre is roughly a 20 minute walk away and it is really nice with plenty to see and do. I do not want to be too critical of the owners and staff at this hotel as like I said before they are friendly and nice but I feel that a visit from the Hotel Inspector just to 'advise' them on things they could improve on and such like would certainly help in the running of their business. To us it appeared that the owners may have ran a pub before and stepped up to run a hotel and now could be slightly out of their depth.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 15 unless you like climbing, go for one facing away from the road.
3 Thank paul717
LIVERPOOL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in July ,our room No 7 was fine well looked after by the cleaning staff daily,what struck us most with this hotel was the friendliness of the staff who were brilliant throughout our stay.
The bar was open 24 hours and the prices where very reasonable served up by the owners father Peter who told many interesting stories during our stay,the beer garden to the rear was wonderful and it was lovely to relax in watching the world go by.
The breakfast was really nice with plenty of variety and the waiting on staff where competent in there duties,we dined in the restaurant on one occasion and even though the chef was going home she stayed later and supplied us with a adequate meal which surprised the 4 of us.
The hotel is within walking distance through the park and on to the riverside walk and a taxi cost was between 5-7 pounds well worth it if you have a long day in York
We would recommend this hotel to anyone and it is well worth a visit.
Only one small moan the chairs in the bar area need replacing hopefully for when we come back very soon
Thank you for a great break and not all Liverpool people are the same

Room Tip: Room not a side would be best
3 Thank RON29Liverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a find the Beechwood Close Hotel was !!
Myself and two friends stayed for a birthday weekend in heir family room. Lovely size room and bathroom Spotlessly clean and staff were lovely
No request was a problem !! Breakfast next day was also very nice would have loved to have stayed for Sunday lunch but we had to travel back
Thank you to all your staff for a lovely stay !!
Would recomend this hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dmg1972
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

While the staff (mostly girls) were very friendly and good the same cannot be said for what seemed to be the owners who seem to at best ,"tolerate" guests. Overpriced, needs a good refurbish, did not feel at all welcome. Rooms booked incorrectly despite written confirmation. For the next few years I will need to stay in York on a regular basis. I will not be staying here

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter M
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The staff here were friendly & helpful. I only stayed for one night in a single room, that was clean & pleasant. One suggestion that I would like to make is maybe have a fan in the room - with this unusually hot weather we are experiencing at the moment it was rather hot, even with the window open!
I ate in the hotel & the Cajun chicken fillet was superb!
The hotel is nicley decorated & has a good sized beer garden with plenty of seating & umbrellas & a big enough for kids to play..
There is also ample parking at the hotel, which is good, It is a couple of miles out of York city, but easy enough to travel into via bus, taxi or drive into
There was also a good choice at breakfast - fresh fruit, croissants, youghurts, ceareals juice, full English & it was beautifully cooked.
I shall return here happliy

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jayne M
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went to York for a wedding and had booked a three day stay to enable us to do some sight seeing whilst there.

York is fab, but I wouldn't choose this hotel. The room was very hot and stuffy and had a flat roof outside the window with ventilation shafts from the kitchen, which were noisy. However that paled into insignificance in comparison to the music coming from the private function taking place on our first evening. Admittedly our visit coincided with very hot weather, so we needed the windows open.

The hotel also allows dogs, so just to make matters even worse, we had to put up with yapping terriers for half the night too.

I read the good reviews before booking and I can't believe it was the same place. Whilst I agree that the majority of staff were friendly and did try to be helpful, it wasn't the case across the board. When we asked the owner's father, who was propping up the bar and watching television, for a fan for our room, he was less than helpful and certainly had no intention of letting us have the one which was on the bar and keeping him cool!

The place had a run down feel to it, the food was mediocre at best and we were glad to check out.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 8.
4 Thank Cali4Uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#4 of 45 in York
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews

Been to Beechwood Close Hotel? Share your experiences!