“Little extras good”
Review of Hotel Noir

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Booked a double room and we got ungraded to a four poster. Room good, but bed a bit rickety! Coffee machine and drinks in the room were a nice touch. Had breakfast one morning, it said quorn sausages as the veggie option however they weren't quorn they were another brand so watch out! 15 minute walk into York so location was good. Made a good base for exploring York for two nights!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you for your review, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I can confirm that the vegetarian sausages we use are Linda McCartney. We hope to see you again if you are revisiting York in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Booked through Late Rooms .com with a good deal on a 4 poster bedded room. When they said small car park the weren't joking, very tight. Room was lovely but bed a bit rickety and no air con so very warm. Only one of us could see the TV because of the posts on the bed. Although only booked for B&B we decided to have evening meal in their restaurant, we were advised to book our table, however, only 4 tables were actually used. Waitress was quite slow, not knowing what beers she was serving, although I think she was new, but even I could see what was on the bar. Meals were really nice, although my partner had the pork dish, they had no apple sauce to go with it, and the waitress could only bring one dish out at a time. I had steak and had to ask for a steak knife although I probably wouldn't have needed it as the steak was nice and tender. About 15 min walk into York so not far. We wouldn't necessarily use it again unless it was for another overnight stay. Free mini bar, WiFi and chocolates were a nice treat.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms can be quite noisy because of needing windows open on hot nights and the main roa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review! I’m glad that overall your stay was a good one. I have raised the points you mention with the relevant departments, so thank you for your constructive feedback. Please give us a call direct if you are returning and we will make sure you get the best available room at the best available rate.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after booking through mystery hotels on last minute.com. There is a car park at the back with around 8 parking spaces. The car park is extremely small so if you have a large car you may find extreme difficulty getting in and out. Due to it being a deal we were given a twin bedded room outside the main building at the back beside the car park and apparently this is the room that guests are given if they are on a deal ! The room was modern with large bathroom. However we asked if we could change to a double room in the main building. This came at a £12 extra charge and we were told the room would come with a four poster bed. However on arrival at the room there was no four poster bed. The room was of average size with ample wardrope space, flat screen TV, iron plus ironing board and a capsule coffee/tea maker. The mini-bar we were told was complimentary due to the room upgrade and this consisted of a bottle of sparkling wine, white wine, beer and a couple of fizzy juices. Water however was charged at £5 extra. The bathroom was extremely small and dated and unfortunately bath mats were the disposable paper kind which resulted in the bathroom floor being permanently wet. The bed was comfortable enough. However a point to note: make sure you get a room at the back of the hotel. Our room was right at the front overlooking the main road and this was extremely noisy at night. It was therefore impossible to open the windows during the night because of the traffic noise. Hotel staff were pleasant enough. The bar and dining area seemed adequate for the size of the hotel. The hotel itself is a pleasant 15 minute walk into York centre. I would recommend Evie Browns cafe bistro, near Yorkminster for a wonderful breakfast and The Golden Fleece Hotel/Pub for truly sumptious meals.

Room Tip: Make sure you are given a room at the back of the hotel due to the traffic noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. The special offer you booked through Lastminute.com gives you either a standard double or a standard twin, which, in the absence of a specific request are allocated based on availability. No standard doubles were available but we were able to upgrade you to a superior double for a minimal charge.

The water in the mini bar is free of charge, I am unsure where you got the impression it cost £5.

Paper bath mats are common in many 3 or 4 star hotels, but I can confirm that we have stopped using them and have teak duckboards in place.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night on Saturday 6th July, had room 431 which was on top floor. A decent room with nice shower room, tea/coffee making facilities and a mini fridge with couple of bottles of water, 1 bottle beer, 1 small bottle of wine and a couple of cans of fizzy pop. Hotel about at 15 minute walk into York centre. Breakfast served 8.30am to 10.30am, really nice, the usual self service for tea/coffee and cereals and a cooked breakfast to order, no complaints and served by a nice polite waitress. We had a nice italian meal in Bari on the Shambles. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again next time you are visiting York, please give us a call direct for the best available rates.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a lastminute secret deal for £48.
We liked the rooms, but then we like modern rooms. Complimentary mini bar and proper capsule coffee maker a nice touch, although we couldn't get the machine to make a 2nd drink straight after the 1st. We had 2 twin beds (probably due to being on a deal) but the beds were comfortable and linens soft and nice.
Towels were fraying as others have said, and I really don't like paper bath mats, even if you are being environmentally friendly-this leaves the floor very wet.
If you are staying in one of the outside rooms, DO NOT leave any windows open. We were woken at 8am by guests and staff having a chat outside and we could hear everything. The walls are thin, but nothing that woke us up, and not sure what the hotel can really do about that. High ceilings are lovely.
Car park is very small, don't arrive in anything bigger than a hatchback sized car. There is free parking on the street and we were only a minutes walk from the hotel.
We didn't walk into town, but from the drive its not too far, and in a nice area.
Wifi is free and the signal was strong.
Not sure if it is worth it's full, normal price, but if you can get a deal, it's a good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you say, if you are flexible about your dates then there are some great deals to be had. The best available rate is always available by contacting the hotel directly, please let us know if you are ever returning to York and would like to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night the room was amazing with the biggest bed I have ever seen. The staff were fantastic, food was delightful we had both breakfast and an evening meal. I would recommend to anyone!!! We will return hopefully for longer !!!

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us so much and hope to see you again if you are returning to York in the future!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The whole room was dirty apart from the bedding the towels we were given were dirty frayed and generally not fit to wipe the dog down if u want to be perfectly honest . I work in the hotel industry so I expect a decent hotel we were told to stay here on the recomendation of friends so we Did I have never seen a room so ill attended and to be told the headhouse keeper cleaned this room was even more not acceptable what are the rest of the rooms like ? The receptionist came to inspect the room so I showed him the dirty carpet the dirty bathroom which had stains on the bath blood on the toilet roll dusty dirty vanity cabinet , not to mention the chipped and dirty dressing table the tea and coffe facilitys just shoved in a basket and the machine itself dusty and dirty . Then we went to sleep and all night heard noise and banging this was before breakfast ! The receptionist proceded to slam the faulty door to our room and walk off with no gesture of goodwill and a half attempted apology . If this were my hotel he would have been sacked and we would have received some sort of decent apology . I recommend as someone who works in the industry do not stay here ever as if its hard enough to pick a hotel to stay at where you feelvalue for money it wasn't worth a penny and I have seen cleaner squats !

• Stayed: June 2013

Copied below is the reply sent to this guest via Lastminute.com:

I acknowledge that there are some minor issues with this room – there is a cracked tile in the bathroom – this has only happened in the past week and is due to be replaced before the end of the week. The dressing table is chipped and there is a stain on the carpet. Obviously in a busy hotel it is simply not possible to replace a carpet every time it suffers a stain – but it is not a reflection of cleanliness, carpets are thoroughly vacuumed every day.

I also acknowledge that there was dust on the top of the door frame and the bathroom cabinet and agree that this is not acceptable. The guest also claimed that the bath had not been cleaned however I was unable to verify this as they had used the bath anyway. They state that towels were not fit to wipe down a dog, however they used them anyway and said nothing.

Regarding the service they received, the guests arrived at 12:30pm, some 90 minutes before the advertised start of check in, and I contacted housekeeping and arranged for them to check in early. Following this, at no point until 10am the following morning when they checked out, was any issue mentioned with the room. Had we been informed we would have either made sure the room was to their satisfaction or offered another room. If the room was indeed ‘filthy’ as they claimed, it must have been immediately apparent on check in, so I am very surprised that they did not report the matter to reception straight away. The compact rooms are our most popular rooms, and this room is used every night – the guests who had checked out the same morning complimented the hotel on how much they enjoyed their stay.

The manner in which the guest spoke to me this morning was unduly rude from the start, however while I was in the room he became increasingly aggressive and I decided that it was best if I returned to reception for my own safety. When I left I let the door close of it’s own accord and it banged when it did so. The guest then came to reception and accused me of slamming his door. I explained that I had not done so and that I had not meant for it to bang as it did but he became incredibly aggressive, shouting and swearing. The safety and wellbeing of staff and other guests is of utmost importance at all times so I had no option other than to ask the guest to leave the building – he refused and continued to shout, at which point I began to phone for the police, he finally left when he realised this was what I doing, but not before shouting more threats as he left.

Reception
HOTEL NOIR

This guest took no opportunity to raise his issues at any point during his stay, until check-out, and was verbally abusive to the extent that we had to call the police so we do not feel that this review is reflective of his stay.

Hotel Noir

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson York
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express York
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!