“Hit and miss”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The first impression isn't great as from the outside it looks a bit run down, and the car park is tiny and difficult to maneuover round if its busy (it is free though!). Inside the hotel is really nice though so you shouldn't be put off by that.
The rooms are decent, clean and comfortable. The bathroom however was uncomfortably small and I had to shoehorn myself into the shower cubicle. Maybe that says more about me than the bathroom.
Breakfast was 50/50 - literally. First morning was fantastic, second day it was all cold and not great. Was pretty busy both days and the service was really quick both times.
Location wise, it's maybe a 10-15 minute walk up the road to the City Centre so pretty good as long as it isn't raining!
Price wise, probably a bit expensive for what you get. If I went back to York I'd probably give another place a go, but I wouldn't be too upset if I ended up here again.

Room Tip: Try to position/move your car ready for an easy exit when you leave, as it will be difficult to get...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam D
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry you were disappointed with the size of your bathroom. In an old building, the size of the bathrooms does vary from room to room, so perhaps if you are staying with us again we can be sure to allocate you a room with a larger bathroom.
I’m glad though that overall your stay was a good one and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Noir

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was the pick of what was left and we thought that with it being a themed hotel it would be fun to stay and have a few drinks from the free minibar which appealed to us.
It is slightly out of the way, but a pleasant 10-15 minute walk back into town. On arrival the girls in reception were polite, although not too welcoming and they explained that our room was not yet available.
When the room was available we found it to be an 'L' shape with a single bed at each extremity where neither of us could be seen from each others bed. It was perhaps a single room with scope for a small sofa instead of another bed. ''Not to worry it was only for one night so lets have a drink to start our break''. The mini bar consisted of a 275 mls bottle of beer (not even a full size bottle) and a glass size bottle of white wine, two tins of juice and two bottles of tap water, what a sneaky underhand thing to do, by stating a free minibar. Whilst I am not naive enough to expect an all singing all dancing minibar that would be emptied of everything by most visitors, I none the less expected to at least have a few alcoholic drinks with my wife and of the same kind together, not having to decide who has the beer and who has the wine.
Matters did not improve really, the floorboards were squeeky, my bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in it was lumpy and gave no support and it squeeked everytime I moved, waking me and my wife numerous times. The pillows were not very good, I had to use my towels underneath one to give support. There was no bulb in my wife's bedsite lamp and the hot towel rail did not work. The shower whilst hot was very weak and the water flow from it was slightly above a dribble. The Tassimo machine did not work to start with, but after about 6 efforts I finally got it to work, but Im not sure how I did it. There was a kettle supplied but not sure why as there was no tea bags coffee etc.
On the plus side the decor was not too bad, the room was warm and it was surprisingly quiet despite the fact there was a significant amount of young people resident.
The waitresses in the morning were nice and friendly, we had to wait approximately 25-30 minutes for our full English but it was very nice. Plenty of toast available but surprisingly no marmalade.
Overall a mixed bag and some issuess that are pretty inexcusable for a hotel which although not on the expensive end, its certainly not on the cheap end either. The description of a free mini bar is bordering on misrepresentation but Im sure they will technically be correct, but I feel its underhand and the hotel should perhaps indicate that it is a 'free very limited mini bar' or other desription to outline its poor contents.

Room Tip: Ensure you dont get an 'L' shaped room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Room 432, as you state, due to the shape of the room does not have beds next to each other – this has not been a problem for anyone before, generally our twin rooms are booked by friends rather than couples. In our other twin rooms the beds are next to each other and, had you mentioned that you were unhappy with the position of the beds in 432 to us at the time, I am sure we would have been able to move you into one of these.
The FREE minibar is provided as a welcoming drink for our guests. All booking sites have a description of the contents – in a twin room, a bottle of beer, an individual serving bottle of wine, 2 cans of pop, two bottles of mineral (not tap) water and fresh milk for use with the Tassimo drinks machine. I am sorry if you were disappointed, however as stated the minibar is provided FREE of charge and does not add anything to the cost of the room, and as far as we are aware is not something provided by any other hotel in York.
If you were struggling to operate the Tassimo machine, we would have been happy to assist had you let us know. The kettle is provided for guests who perhaps want to make their own drinks / food etc. Tea bags and sachets of coffee / chocolate are available on request from reception.
I do recall you mentioning the bulb and towel rail to me at reception as you passed, however when I offered to come up and sort this for you, the offer was declined.
On the plus side, I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast and that your room was warm and quiet.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were a bit worried when we arrived at the hotel as the outside does not do it justice, however, once inside we realised we weren't going to be disappointed.

The guy on reception was very helpful and really knew his stuff about local attractions and things to do, he even gave us a local map and showed us where we were and where all the different attractions were.

We stayed in 1 of the hotels Superking rooms and the room was lovely, the only thing we found was that the bathroom was too hot but that wasn't a big deal.

The food was beautiful and the service was excellent.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would defiantly stay at Hotel Noir again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing when we receive such kind words! I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this hotel as it was one of the only hotels in York offering a one night stay at the weekend. We stayed in a standard room with breakfast included. Unfortunately, both my partner and I were very disappointed with our stay. It was certainly not worth the £150 we paid for it!

The room was clean but tired. The walls were marked, furniture stained etc. Fine for a budget hotel but this does not go with the contemporary black and white theme the hotel is trying to create.

Our main issue was the en-suite. It was tiny and needed modernizing. The black floor was horrible and the door had to be pulled very hard to shut. The shower was terrible, the water trickled out and the door did not close properly.

The cooked breakfast was nice and came quick despite the restaurant being full. There was a small selection of cereals, a fruit-bowl, toast and fruit choices.

On the plus side, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and I had a really good night's sleep despite being in a room facing the road. The staff were friendly and the hotel was quiet. I did not hear any noise from other guests.

Overall the stay was not worth the money. York is expensive, especially at the weekend and with hindsight I should have spent a little bit more and booked the minimum two nights in a better hotel then paying for a room for one night at the Hotel Noir. During the week the same room is more than half the price and I feel that this is its true value. It is adequate for a budget stay but I expected a lot more for the money I paid and have had much better stays at hotels that charging the same price.

1  Thank Gemma T

Thank you for your review. It would seem that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, so it’s a shame you were disappointed with the bathroom. We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme to replace the older bathrooms, it is unfortunately a slow process during the recession. As you say, York is an expensive city on a weekend, and as we are one of the very few hotels offering a 1 night stay on a weekend in the city, we know that our rates are very competitive.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a couple of issues with minor aspects of my stay but the hotel told me they will be addressed so won't be part of this review.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, quality of food is high, very well decorated, bedrooms very appealing, memory foam mattress was fantastic.

Great value for money all round and out the way so you don't get a lot of main traffic or night revellers.

Very happy and would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards, Hotel Noir.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Spent one night in this hotel.

Overall was impressed. The hotel gives a good first impression and the staff seemed friendly enough. We were pleased with the room itself, although it was a compact room it was not particularly small and good value for the £65 (I believe) we paid!

Few minor complaints: the Tassimo machine in the room was VERY loud (perhaps broken), the bathroom was in need of some modernization also, and the shower was quite a nuisance (not very fast)! We were facing the road, and so the traffic was a bit noisy at times (but it was not too much of a disturbance).

The room and bathroom were clean though and the bed was comfortable. Room contained everything we could have needed! Food seemed reasonably priced though we chose to eat out. The hotel was in a lovely location which was a convenient walk away from the center of town.

Overall, pleased and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your review! I’m glad that overall your stay was a good one, and I hope that we can welcome you back should you be visiting York again in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Beware this hotel uses false information!!!!
Myself and my husband paid £170.00 for a one night stay Saturday the 1st march 2013 this was for a special treat.
We got there and went into our dirty and small room. We were disgusted at the state of the au suite it was dirty, the sink kept blocking up and there was a crack in the toilet!!! The bathroom suite well it should have been taken to the local tip!!! The bath was chiped in places the shower screen did not fit and they said in the advertisement "lovely showers" we'll it was a mixer shower that only trickled out, you could not possibly get a shower!! Subsequently we didn't get one!!!

Mini bar well what can I say two cans of pop,small bottle of lager and a glass of wine!!! What a joke!!!
We was put in a room at the front of the hotel. The road noise was so bad we did not sleep!!!
The windows were only single glaze. We tried to complain to the duty manager on the Sunday morning and he wasn't even bothered!!!! He was so rude.

I put this full comment on hotel noir Facebook page and within seven minuets my full negative comments had beed wiped off their Facebook page!!! This is BAD as this has now made me wounder how many other negative comments have they had!!!!!

On a positive side the reception,restaurant and bar was lovely!!!!
The food was fantastic!! Could not fault it. The chef is too good for Hotel Noir in Clifton Green York!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be put in a room round the back of the building!!!!!
1  Thank Masiey

Thank you for your review.
I am not sure what you mean by “false information” – it is not clear from your review what you believe is false?
You booked our standard double room at a cost of £166 – this price included breakfast and a 3 course dinner for both guests – you paid around £115 for the room which is a competitive price for a 3 star hotel in York on a Saturday night.
I am sorry you were disappointed by the bathroom – I agree that relatively speaking it is somewhat old fashioned, however it is fully functional.
There should be no excuse for any cleanliness issues of course. It is disappointing you did not raise this at the time as of course we would have had our housekeeping team return to the room immediately.
It’s a shame you were not happy with the minibar however it is provided free of charge and does not add anything to the cost of the room, something you will not find in the vast majority of other hotels. The contents are also listed on all booking sites so guests should know exactly what it will contain before they arrive.
Our Facebook page is a promotional page for the hotel to share special offers and amusing anecdotes with its friends. Any guests who wish to post issues have a variety of websites such as TA available and our own site will remain for our own purposes. Incidentally we have only ever removed 2 comments from the page.

Regards
Hotel Noir

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Park Inn by Radisson York
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!