“Does what it says on the tin!”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
York, United Kingdom
“Does what it says on the tin!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed in a small double room, so we were expecting a small room and that's what we got! We stayed in room 303 which was on the back of the property so no noise problem however we seemed to have the kitchens extractor fan outside are window which made quite a noise but went off at 11.30pm just in time for bed! The room quality was of good standard with a very comfy good size double bed, very small room I.e. only one person could get past the bed to the bathroom at a time. The bathroom itself was a good size and very clean, if I'm being really picky I'd say the shower was not as powerful as I'd of liked! Overall the room was cosy and clean having nice extras the fridge in room was a nice touch. The location was good 15-20 mins from the city centre and within easy walking distance from the train station, a great base.

Room Tip: Small rooms are small but cosy, so be warned!
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much, and hope we can welcome you back here should you be visiting York again in the future!
As you describe, our compact rooms are on the smaller side, but of course we don’t try to hide this fact, and we have different sizes of rooms priced accordingly to suit all tastes/budgets!

Regards, Hotel Noir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I cannot understand the negative reviews here on Tripadvisor about this excellent little hotel.
Yes, it is a little quirky and I suppose what some may deem a "boutique hotel" and yes the car park is a little on the "tight" side, but all in all this wonderful establishment offers a handy location for visiting York, and a comfortable well-equipped room in which to rest after the day's labours.
We chose a four poster room which was booked late and thus got a cracking 2 night deal. Our room was up a flight of stairs, along a narrow corridor, down another flight of stairs to a spacious corner room with a huge bathroom. There was some traffic noise, I agree, but as we live on a busy main road at home, this did not bother us and the comfort of the huge bed soon had us away in dreamland. The room also boasted a well-stocked "free" mini bar fridge with some delicious chocolates left for us - (our friends who were in another room were a little miffed that they didn't get the free chocs as we did...but then again they had no traffic noise in their's!!)
The Tassimo drinks machine made lovely coffee and tea and the television was a standard 32 inch flat screen (a little difficult to see from one side of the bed, but, hey, you don't come away to watch telly do you?). The DAB radio/Ipod dock didn't work on arrival, but after mentioning it at reception, all was well the following day,
Breakfast?? Excellent!! Cooked to order with local bacon and sausage of the highest quality and a good selection of cereals, juices, fruits and lovely fresh coffee and tea....what's not to like? and excellent to stoke te fires for a chilly days walking in York centre.
Incidentally, the city is a 15 minute brisk stroll though I believe there is a bus too, and the time we used a taxi (damp evening) it was less than a fiver!
The hotel is, I understand, undergoing renovations, and this will only enhance the reputation it deserves, Try the Hotel Noir ....you may just love the place, as we did!

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can to the bigger (NOT compact) rooms - it's worth the little bit extra!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jtcg_cymru
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much and hope that we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future.

Cambridge
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Almost 100% fabulous!
Would so love to have given this 100% as this was a fabulous place to stay, the room was great, the staff were friendly and the little extras like free mini bar and Tassimo machine were a great touch, however, although the linen in the room was clean we noticed several stains and the odd cobweb here and there. It was such a small thing so we did not say anything to the staff but I'm sure if we had have done they would have gone to the trouble of changing it for us. It didn't spoil our stay at all and we were so impressed by the value for money that we will definitely be staying here again.
Having read other reviews regarding the noise from the road, we stayed in a room at the front of the hotel and were not disturbed at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland
Reviewed February 7, 2013

we have just returned from a 2 night stay at the hotel and I must say for the price payed it was very good, yes I could pick faults if I wanted to although both me and my wife felt we had excellent value for money, room was very clean, mini bar excellent and free, wifi superb, bathroom spot on and breakfast was the best ever. All the staff were very pleasant and profesional and I would have no hesitation in reccomending this hotel for a short stay in York.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper I would ask for a room at the back of the hotel
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much and hope that we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future.

Glasgow
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having ordered a compact room as I went up the two flights of narrow stairs with a carpet that had very dusty edges, I was filled with dread, at least it was only one night. Getting into my room there was the same same ill fitting carpet, an inch of dusty carpet round the room and was greeted by the most horrible, cheep and scabby desk I have seen in a long time.

Once I stopped worrying about the desk and the carpet, I noticed the room was large for a compact room, good Sony TV, nice Tassimo coffee machine, 2 lots of towels and a iPod playing radio thing. Good fast wifi. A little noisy from the road and other rooms but the Hotel grew on me. There had been some thought gone into trying to put a little bit extra into the room such as a safe.

It is not the Ritz but I think the owners have tried to do something different so what give it a chance and stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I see from your comments that while you had some issues, overall you were happy and enjoyed your stay, so I hope we can welcome you back should you be visiting York again in the future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Without being rude to what appeared to be a lovely hotel and very helpful staff after staying for one night on the 2nd Feb me and my boyfriend were thoroughly disappointed.

We stayed in room 207 and after checking in (staff were polite, knowledgable and helpful) we went to our room and were immidiately hit with an unpleasant foisty smell as we opened the door. The only way to describe it was like someone had just changed a babies dirty nappy in there and left it on a raidiator. Obviously we opened a window thinking the smell would air off, dumped our stuff and left the room for an afternoon in york. When we returned the smell was still there.

In addition to the weird smell there was a dirty mark down one of the walls to the left of the bed as if a drink of coke had been spilt down the white wall, one of the lights on the right above the bed didnt work and when we opened one of the draws (under the ipod docking station) there were the reminance and bits of doritos, yes, doritos in a draw.

Obviously i got the impression the room hadnt been cleaned at all. I did mention the odd room smell (as it started to make me feel sick) to the guy on reception and he kindly went to get an air freshener but it just didnt help.

I had got us this hotel for a romantic weekend away so naturally i am upset that the £112 paid for one night went on a smelly room and one which wasnt even clean. I expect hotel rooms to be spotless and if your paying 3 figures for one night immaculate.

On a positive the breakfast was nice.

Oh but i forget the coffee machine wasnt working and one beer and one glass of wine and two cans of coke were falsly advertised as beer and bottle of wine on the website in the free mini bar. Luckily we had taken our own champagne but it was ruined by the stench of what can only be described as warm dirty nappies.

Will not be returning and really dissapointing after reading positive reviews. I really wouldnt leave a bad review to be picky but it really ruined what was meant to be a Romantic night away.

2 Thank GillyGilly99
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you liked the hotel and that you found the staff so helpful, but obviously disappointed that you encountered issues with the cleanliness of your room.
The smell was found to be coming from the fridge in the room which had developed an electrical fault and has now been replaced. I can only apologize that this wasn't picked up earlier than your check in but it appears to have occurred that day.
We have also done some re-training with the housekeeper who missed the drawer when cleaning the room and I do aplogise for this error..
The minibar in a standard double includes a bottle of wine, a bottle of beer, 2 cans of soft drink, 2 bottles of mineral water and fresh milk for tea/coffee. This is as advertised so I am unsure how it is misleading. I’m sorry if you were disappointed by this but it is provided free of charge, and as such does not add anything to the cost of your room, and is not something you will find in most hotels!
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed one night in December with my partner. Paid a great price for York and booked the compact room. Expected a tiny cramped space for the price but it was great, plenty room for 2. Lovely comfy bed, Tassimo machine, fridge, tv etc. Bathroom was beautiful too. Room was really warm, bit too warm so kept bathroom window open.
Arrived late morning and were able to leave the car in the car park. All the staff were really helpful and courteous. The location was great too, nice 15 minute walk into town.
Have always stayed at others such as Travelodge/premier inn but will def come back to Hotel Noir instead. Lovely stay, well worth the money and will def be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing when we receive such kind words! I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future.
Regards, Hotel Noir.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel 53
Hotel 53
#31 of 46 in York
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,759 reviews

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!