“Could of been better”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Stafford
“Could of been better”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed very recently, first impression was that the room was reasonable, decor looked smart however I agree with other reviews that the bath and sink could do with replacing as they look old!
Walk into York was about 10 to 15 mins which is great.
That's where positives end... Our room was at the front of the building and I have to say I had one of the worst nights sleep ever! The noise from the road was really loud and the bed wasn't that comfy, the bedding was nice but the bed itself wasn't great.
We went for breakfast at about 9.30 and after being seated by a miserable young waitress we waited 30 minutes for breakfast...We knew there was likely to be a wait as breakfast is "freshly cooked" therefore it's disappointing that when the full English did arrive it was Luke warm (apart from the hash brown!) it did taste ok, but not the best breakfast I've had by any stretch of the imagination.
Overall Disappointed, as the room was pretty expensive for what it was.

Room Tip: Maybe try to book a room at the back of the hotel.
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. With regards to beds and especially breakfast, we generally receive a lot of praise for these, so again I can only apologise if these were not to your taste.

The hotel is located just outside the city centre of York, on a slip road adjacent to a main road, so unfortunately some traffic noise is unavoidable. We will of course accommodate requests for rooms at the rear of the building where traffic noise is reduced, wherever possible.

Hotel Noir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at hotel noir this month for three nights. I found the room to be spacious and nicely decorated and to top it off spotlessly clean. It was not five star but you are not paying for five star. There was a tassimo coffee machine in the room and the free minibar others have mentioned. The staff were all very pleasant and the breakfast was very nice (although maybe the cereal choice needs reviewing but then I am a fussy healthy eater and I am sure this is due to most people preferring a cooked breakfast each day). The walk into town was direct and took about ten minutes. Despite the flooding we had a lovely time in York and it was lovely to come back and dry off in a nice warm room. We had a room facing the road, this wasn't a problem we encountered no traffic noise and the bed was extremely comfortable. Thankyou hotel noir I would certainly recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank vickyn114
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much!
We do offer a selection of 6 different cereals with breakfast, including Special K and Muesli as healthier options and porridge can be cooked on request. If you let us know any other ideas we would be glad to look into them.

I do hope we can welcome you back next time you visit York!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was quite expensive and I wanted to treat my boyfriend with a special getaway for his birthday. We stayed for one night on a weekend (which is apparently not an easy thing to do in York in winter as despite booking months in advance, I only had the option of about 4 hotels which would allow us to only stay one night instead of 2!). Unfortunately as soon as we arrived, I was very disappointed with the hotel. The room was unclean, with dirt on the floors in the bedroom and bathroom and the decor was very tired with paint chipped off the walls and doors. The bathroom was very dated, and considering that the hotel has a black and white theme, the bathroom suite was a very dated cream colour - I'm not sure whether this is from ageing of the plastic bath or whether it was always meant to look like that. The sink basin was cracked which is a hygiene issue and the glass screen in the shower did not have an adequate rubber seal to stop the screen from overhanging the bath and soaking the floor. Worst of all, we weren't even provided with the right facilities to get dry - at almost £150 a night I would expect at least a real bath mat but unfortunately we were given a paper one (and only one, so if a second person wanted a shower you are literally left standing on soggy paper), and we were only provided with 2 hand towels and no bath towels. I went down to complain to reception about this as soon as we arrived and their reply was that all the towels were getting washed but we would be provided with some when they were ready (the lady on the desk wasn't even apologetic). We had booked tickets to a comedy event that evening, so left the hotel at 5pm and didn't get back until about 11pm. By this time, our towels still hadn't been brought to our room and no one was on reception to contact. After a terrible night's sleep due to an uncomfy bed/pillows and noisy traffic outside (our bedroom was situated at the front of the hotel, on the main road into York and the windows are only single glazed), I was not in the frame of mind to call reception to bring me towels and greet staff at my door when I was in my nightwear and my boyfriend still asleep in bed. In the end I had to brave getting dry from my shower on the two hand towels, which is not an experience I would wish to repeat. In addition, there was no blind in the bathroom and considering that the hotel is on the main road into York, it is not ideal when passerby's can see into the room. The room provided us with coffee making facilities - which was the world's oldest tassimo machine. I didn't even know that model existed. There was no lid built into the water compartment, leaving it open to dust settling in (and considering the state of our room I changed this before using!) and the coffee was poor. As for the car park, it is probably the smallest and tightest car park I've ever driven into. When we arrived there was no space in there, but to be honest if I had have parked I probably wouldn't have been able to negotiate my way out very well. I ended up parking in the next street which was luckily residential didn't charge. In summary, this hotel has delusions of grandeur, charging the price of an upmarket hotel but giving the quality of less than a Travelodge. I couldn't leave the hotel fast enough.

1 Thank cakeface85
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

You are correct in that we are one of the few hotels in York that will accept a one night stay on a Saturday night and this does mean you may pay slightly more for that one night than if you were willing to pay for two. Our rooms are priced very competitively with other 3 star hotels in this high-demand city, as you will be able to see on any price comparison website. We also provide little extras such as the free mini bar which set us above our competitors.

I am very surprised you found the room not to be clean, and that you don't seem to have reported this to reception to be remedied. Our rooms are cleaned and then checked by an experienced housekeeper so I’m not sure how this was able to occur, however I do apologise if this was the case.

Our refurbishment program is ongoing, and some of the rooms do have older bathrooms which are gradually being replaced, as occupancy levels allow.

I’m sorry if your towels weren’t replaced. Reception is always manned until midnight, and we of course would have brought your towels immediately had you let us know. We could have left them outside your door if you did not wish to see someone.

All bathrooms have frosted glass, so I can assure you that no passers-by can see in!

Our Tassimo machines (model number TAS 20XX – still widely available in stores) are appreciated by most guests, however if it is not to your taste, every room also has a kettle stored in the wardrobe for guests' use.

Our car park is indeed small, but as you found, there is ample free parking on the adjacent street should it be full.

York is an expensive destination and that can lead guests to have higher expectations but Hotel Noir is a 3 star hotel, competitively priced against other 3 star establishments in our ever popular tourist destination.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this hotel as a two night romantic break for my husband and I for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The room was perfect with a 4 poster bed and decorated lovely. When we arrived we were booked in very quickly with no hassle. I had ordered a bottle of champagne on arrival which was served to us with no problem. The hotel was perfect for our stay with a nice 10-15 minute walk into York. The food was good with a good variety. There are lots of attractions in York and we found the whole weekend perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 304 with the 4 poster bed with a view of the car park but was really quiet
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay so much and hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Sunderland
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Noir ('hotel' being the operative word here) towards the end of August. Being Law and Modern Foreign Language students, our budget wasn't particularly huge, and thought £68.00 was an absolute bargain...in fact...I believe my words were "too good to be true". In hindsight, I had wished I had listened to myself!

As mentioned before, being a student, I haven't stayed in the greatest of places in the past. However, when I pay for somewhere to stay, I expect the sheets to be clean, not STAINED WITH FRESH BLOOD. The bedding had clearly not been changed and to me, it was scruffy.

Being absolutely disgusted, as anyone would be, I complained to the staff member on the desk, with nothing being done after a period of around 30 mins. Oh, but was told that 'it happens' with a shrug. Before I could ask to be transferred to another room, I was told the Hotel was fully booked.

Upset, tired as we had been travelling, and feeling anxious as our money had been allocated to different things we were going to do ( like sightseeing and exploring beautiful York), we left in search of another Hotel, after being informed by the lady on the desk that she would pass the information on to someone higher.

To cut a long story short, several letters have been sent to management after a very rude phone call which WE had to make to THEM the next day. Management insinuated that WE had placed the blood there, which is completely untrue, and for them to insinuate is extremely unprofessional and insulting. I explained in my letters that in no way did I wish to damage their reputation, but felt I would be more than happy if they refunded my money and the money spent for the stay in the replacement hotel. If this did not happen, I did state that I would go further and let Trip Adviser users know, alongside other reputable sources which travelers use when rating services.

I am also still in contact with Trading standards, stating my case. The letter stated that management did not believe that I had been in contact with Trading Standards....even though all information by Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau is protected under the Data Protection Act. Confusing eh?

So if i were you, think before you book! For me and my partner, our weekend was ruined, but our second hotel was beautiful and staff were lovely, which also happened to be closer to the centre of York. I feel that, because we appear to be young, we were discriminated against, and if my mother or father had stayed here, situations would not be parallel to the one I was thrown into.

I do hope management take on board my complaint, as so far they have failed to do so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Just to clarify a few points of fact to any readers of this review:
1. The sheets in the room were freshly done that day as every day. In this case it was my most experienced housekeeper who cleaned the room so I have total confidence that the sheets were changed.
2. The guest told Reception to resolve the issue after they went out - this is on our CCTV which I pointed out to the guest in my letter. Reception was waiting to do this as the guest would not allow her to enter and inspect the room with them. The CCTV did not show her saying "it happens" and shrugging, this simply is not true.
3. On entry into the room we found that the bed had been used and there was indeed fresh blood. The sheets were clearly freshly laundered other than the crumples from use and this mark.
4. The guest informed me that York Trading Standards were involved in the case. When I called them to see what was the next step, they assured me that wasn't the case as they are not allowed to act for anyone who isn't a resident of York - I didn't say the guest hadn't contacted them, just that it certainly wasn't York who was involved.

If the guest had spoken to us prior to leaving and allowed us to inspect the room with her we could have fully understood the situation. If the sheets were unclean when the bed was made we would of course have refunded the money immediately but I simply cannot accept this was the case given the facts of the evidence we found after their departure.

As it was this guest did not give us any opportunity to resolve the matter and then expected a full refund for both the stay with us and the stay at another Hotel which happened to be 4 star. I am not sure why the guest feels that a free night in a higher rated hotel in York is appropriate.
All guests are of course free to express their opinions on any website but we do not allow ourselves to be bullied into giving away money on threat of a bad review.

If any user of Trip Advisor wishes to see my evidence or extracts from my letters to this guest they can contact the Hotel directly.

Natasha Screeton
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night on Thursday 15th Nov and it is excellent. I booked it as a romantic getaway for the night for myself and my fiancé and we had an excellent stay. The room was perfect with a four poster bed and very modern decor throughout, clearly someone has taken an lot of care to make this hotel so nice. The FREE minibar in the room is a great touch as well as the tassimo coffee maker. The food was great, however we were unlucky on the night we stayed the chef was new and the service was very slow. However when the food did arrive it tasted great (apart from a burnt Yorkshire pudding which is unforgivable in York!). Breakfast was nice too. I believe this was the chefs first and LAST night so please don't let it put you off staying here. The receptionist was very friendly and he even let us keep our car in the car park after we had checked out so that we didn't have to pay York parking prices whilst we were in town. We will definitely stay here again when we next visit York.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. It is of course very heartening for us when we receive praise, as we always do our very best to ensure our guests are happy!
I’m glad you enjoyed the free minibar and the Tassimo machine, unique touches like these are what, I hope, set us apart from some of our competitors!
The chef on the night you ate with us was temporary, and I’m pleased to confirm that we now have an excellent new permanent chef. Sorry about the slow service, but I’m pleased you enjoyed your meal.
Car parking is at an absolute premium in York, so we are happy to help out when we can with this!
Once again thank you for your comments, and I hope we can welcome you back in future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel, we found the Facilities very bog standard,but overall a clean and pleasant hotel.

We wouldn't stay there again, however if you're travelling on a budget or just want "cheap and cheerful, then this is ideal.

It's only a short walk away from the main attractions and York is a fantastic night out with plenty to offer either as a family or couple.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give your views on Hotel Noir. I’m sorry it appears we weren’t entirely to your personal tastes.

Hotel Noir offers a range of facilities from our budget “compact” rooms through to our 4-Poster super king rooms, something suitable for all budgets!

We would love to welcome you back to Hotel Noir in the future, should you visit York again.

Hotel Noir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#20 of 46 in York
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!