“Best place for making new friends”
Review of Balmer's Hostel

Balmer's Hostel
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hostel itself might not be very good, the atmosphere is the best in the whole of Interlaken. Yes the breakfast is simple but it's included basically for free so no right to complain. The beds are very thin, that's a downside. I moved to the Funny Farm to sleep but kept coming back here for breakfast and party at night because of the people here. All young backpackers aging from 20-30 who are all so social! Very easy to meet new people here to go out and have fun with.
Don't stay here if you come as a couple and expect a quiet night. Do come here if you are alone or travelling with friends and want to have a good time and make more friends.
Happy hour from 5-7 pm outside and then again from 9-10 pm in the metro club downstairs.
Staff was very friendly, very international. Free wifi all over the hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is the place that you show up to drunk, rage hard, and leave. You've got to feel sorry for anyone who goes here to actually sleep.

Start your day with a lousy breakfast (2 slices of toast, a child's portion of wheaties, and warm milk), get locked out of your room from 10h30 - 15h00, be sure to buy food at CoOp or else pay an arm and a leg at their biergarten, and finally they will force you indoors at 20h00 as they reprioritize balmer's as a nightclub instead of a hostel.

It is hot, so you must leave the windows open, but naturally the nightclub and the drunkards who attend it will be loud and obnoxious until 3h00 or so.

As such, the quietest hours at balmer's are between 4h00-6h00.

The kitchen is very small and crowded. Get in early. And watch out, there are flies EVERYWHERE. It's disgusting.

To top it all off, the staff is hit and miss. Some are polite and helpful, others are incompetent and rude.

If you want a nice Swiss experience, go to the mountain hostel in Gimmelwald. If you just want to get trashed, stay at balmer's.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank victortherussian
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I (both in our twenties) stayed here for 5 nights in a private double (changed rooms 1 night due to availability). As it was warm, the rooms were very stuffy and we needed to sleep with the window open - which unfortunately meant we were above a late-night pizza restaurant and the exit for the underground nightclub. The option on the other side of the building was above an Irish pub. Luckily we had our earplugs with us! It seemed like a party hostel where everyone sleeps soundly only after downing many drinks downstairs.

The rooms were quite spartan, old and very basic. Cleanliness was adequate. Showers were very basic pre-fab cubicles, with a 30 second timer button needing to be pushed repeatedly and with very fluctuant heat, one had almost painfully strong water pressure. The building was old, rambling, and not in the best state of repairs. Free wifi. Laundry: 5 CHF wash, 5 CHF dry.

Breakfast was adequate, the beer garden served good 'grill' food - burgers, chips etc - in a nice outdoor setting. They have a wide selection of adventure sports on offer through the hostel. Staff were friendly, though the reception desk was often very busy, requiring a 10 min wait. Location - just over a kilometre from either Interlaken Ost or West train station, probably about 6-800m to get back into town where most food / shops are. Some good food (pizza, thai) next door.

We have stayed in quite a few hostels across Europe, and this wasn't one of our favourites. For the cost of a double room, I think it would have been better value and a more pleasant stay to find a guest-house in town. We wouldn't come back here. Best suited to younger/independant 'party hostel' guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Location is lovely....that is the one plus.

The hostel is not cleaned regularly. Nothing seemed consistent.
Not even the staff's behaviour.

Plus, it is essentially a young party-style hostel. If this is what you are into all the time, great!
But if not, I would advise you to find accommodation elsewhere.

I would stay here if I had to, but I wouldn't choose to.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I would recommend for the average back packer. 4 out of 5

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at balmers in an apartment for three nights. I found some of the staff to be most helpful. One staff member helped me find medical assistance, however the service wasnt consistent and one of the receptionist staff i found to be pushy.

There are a lot of rules which I believe are over the top, for example having to leave your passport for a key deposit and being encouraged to be out of your room between certain times. I heard a staff member explain to a guest that they had to use a master key really quick if they wanted to use their room. I guess it just felt like they forgot we were customers.

The facilities were clean when we arrived. I'm not sure that our rooms have been turned over or the bathroom cleaned for the three nights we are here though.

The grounds of the garden and games room are nice, although I believe these areas and also the grill close too early.

Overall I would say a stay qt balmers is ok, some good things and some not so good things. to get a better rating from me I would like consistency in service and more flexibility. Remember we're your guests.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Don't know how many people goes to Interlaken to party, but those who do, probably all of them stays here. They have a bar, a happy hour, late night party going on 7 days a week and there's a lot of crowd there always. So, if you want to book a hotel after a good day of travelling across the mountains, I am not sure this is the best place. Especially Friday nights are loud and noisy.

Also, it is a pretty old house, and expect to hear everything that's going on in the corridors. It's generally a long wait for the shower or toilet in the morning. I can't comment on the dorms but the the twin room, which is actually a bunk bed (2 people one above another) is so small that 2 people cant walk side by side. The breakfast is pretty average too.

It is not that I have not stayed at a hostel before, but honestly I really could not comprehend what are all the good reviews for that have been posted herein before. May be from the party lovers, which unfortunately I am not when i am traveling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room a bit less noisy, if possible.