“Best Hostel!”

Balmer's Hostel
Portage, Michigan
“Best Hostel!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in the tent village and loved it so much that I stayed much longer than I planned. :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peeps124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Well...
Lets start with the room. After walking up three flights of stairs with heavy bags (no help offered!) we got to the room.
To be fair it was clean. However you could hear everything that was happening in the corridor. There was a skylight in the roof without a curtain which made it impossible to change in the room (people could see in). It also made the room cold and bright (there was a flood light right above) Bed was quite comfortable
Both myself and my friend did not use the shower in the morning - opting to wait to the next hotel that night. Remember to bring thongs!!
Breakfast was a piece of stale bread and possibly the worst coffee I have ever had!
Overall I would prefer to pay a little more and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I feel this needs to be addressed.
I was on a one month holiday and chose Switzerland as my vacation destination. LOVED IT! I chose Balmers based on reviews and location. Made a reservation for 11 days. Chose a private room to come and go as I please without disturbing anyone and vice-versa. Unfortunately the room next door was a shared dorm - and with paper thin walls and sorority girls Screaming and yelling all hours late into the night then waking up Extremely early to either check-out or go on an activity left little quiet time for even Any person to get a good night's sleep.

The staff were great - the property nice - however I wish they could figure a way to better control quiet hours.. I got the feeling that a blind eye was turned since they were girls. I say this as I witnessed the male night-staff encouraging the drunk Sorority pack after the 10pm quiet time.

I checked out early and went to my next destination. Interlaken is a wonderful place. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from other travelers - if it exists.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed here with a friend for 3 days. Upon check in, we got the 6-pax dorm and were told both of us would hv the lower bunk. when we went into the room, the lower bunks that hv our numbers on were already occupied. were really tired argue abt that so we just took the upper bunks. what's the point of having numbers on your beds if u can't enforce the discipline? the showers?? they were really small!!!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank mrsMal
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at Balmer’s Hostel in a dorm of 8 beds for 3 nights in September 2011. Here’s my breakdown:

The staff: mainly consisting of young Australians living in the area for a few months. Their English is excellent and although they did not know the area very well, they did their best to help (for example, when I needed to see an orthodontist for a dental emergency, they made the appointment for me).

Common Area: The place is nice and looks “swiss”. The beer garden in the back is nice and the food is good (note that the food offered is more American than Swiss). Everything is quite expensive in Switzerland in general and this hostel’s food is not cheap but when you compare with everywhere around town, their price is reasonable. There is a kitchen where you can cook food, tables to eat, many different lounging areas, a TV, a relaxation room (hammocks), a ping pong table, a baby-foot table, giant checkers game, etc. There is also an indoor cafeteria where you can have breakfast. There is also a nightclub opened all week with cheap “Happy Hours” where all the drinks are 2 for 1. Locals, Solders (swiss Army) and tourists from other hostels come to this bar… it’s nice to not have to step off the property to go out dancing.

Bedroom: I had a room of 8 beds and stayed there 3 nights. It was by far, one of the worst rooms I’ve seen in my 6-week long Eurotrip. The “mattress” was just a thin layer of foam, so I felt like I was sleeping on plywood. Also, there wasn’t any where to put our bags so it was really hard to get around the room while 8 people’s things are all piled up in the middle of room. For some reason, I was put in a room where I had to go thru the men’s washroom in order to access my room (and I am a girl). Very odd. The bunk beds did not have a ladder and even though I am 5’10 and in great shape, I had a hard time getting up/going down at times. From where my room was, I could definitely hear the music from the bar at night but it wasn’t loud to the point of keeping me up. It was mostly just a background noise. They have a “lock out” of the rooms from 10AM to 3PM. Even though I was always gone before 10 and never back before 3pm while in Interlaken, it could be a problem for some people. The lockers are located outside, near the kitchen and there aren’t very many. Even though they are hard to access, I was pleased that they had them at all. My room also did not have AC. The nights were cool (september) but during the day, the rooms became quite warm.

Other details:
- Location of the hostel is good. You can walk to both train Stations (Interlaken East and West) or take a bus from both stations. The hostel also gave me a “free bus pass” for my time there. Everything is close enough to walk to, but with luggage, it’s nice to have that option – for free.
- Breakfast was included. The choices were very poor (two toasts with orange juice or oatmeal with an apple) but I appreciated having something for “free” in this “very expensive country”. You could also get bacon, eggs, BLT’s at a reasonable price (again, that’s according to Switzerland’s standards).
- Wi-Fi internet was also included but it was very poor. Most of the time, I had to walk all the way to the main office (in another building) to be able to log-on and if I ventured too far, I would lose my connection. I had internet connection in my room ONE night. (Not sure why and how but it was appreciated!).
- Although my bedroom, bed and mattress were horrible, I’ve been in other people’s rooms while I was there and they had bunk beds with ladder, mattresses with real comfy mattresses and nice duvet covers. I just don’t know what the ratio of “terrible rooms vs decent rooms” is.

Overall, when I go back to Interlaken (And I will, I loved it), I will probably try to find somewhere else to stay simply because I had a very bad room... BUT if I ever come back, I would make sure to get a decent room. Had I had one of the nicer room I saw, I would have loved this place. I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: get a room in the mainbuilding (above Reception).
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Anikabella
mumbai, india
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The main complex is a super place, great 'Beergarden' with good yet cheap food and beer. The rooms are nice and surprisingly quiet given the hustle and bustle inside the hostel common areas. The bathrooms though need to be cleaned more regularly.

Balmer's is truly the most happening place in town for youngsters, what with the atmosphere, games, music and food. Don't miss it, even if you don't stay here. The breakfast is a huge letdown (in terms of quality, quantity, and the utter lack of respect for people that the staff displays). Cook your own grub, or step out somewhere.

The tent style accommodation is a different story altogether. I guess we landed up there on the wrong day (we had to stay one night, as there were no rooms anywhere in Interlaken, leave alone Balmer's main complex). It was raining heavily and the place was in a mess. There was a mini-storm that night, and we couldn't sleep because of the wind noise and the constant flapping of the tent. Don't take it, unless you are staying long and want to save the money. Also remember that you have to walk 15 minutes to have breakfast (at the Balmer's Herberge) as it is not available at the tents, or even when you have to take / return keys when checking in/out. Stay at the main Balmer's, avoid this place unless you are truly backpacking on a very tight budget.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sd1310
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The place was cosy. Good facilities--games room, fast wifi, free breakfast, free bus card. Price was good (We got swiss card and got 1/2 price on the 3rd day). We could see the Alps from our skylight (private double room). Staff was generally informative. There is also live weather for Jungfrau. Quick to act on noisy guests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 23 in Interlaken
Interlaken Youth Hostel
Interlaken Youth Hostel
#2 of 23 in Interlaken

Been to Balmer's Hostel? Share your experiences!