“Tent Village Rules!!!”
Review of Balmer's Hostel

Balmer's Hostel
“Tent Village Rules!!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

To start off, my friend and I only intended to stay for 2 nights... We stayed 11 days!! the staff is so amazing nothing can beat it. They always have a happy hour at the tents, hammocks to relax in, hottub to socialize, and also tanning chairs. There is always an event almost every night, not always including drinking, but that is always an option!

Angie, Christine, Hayden, Laura, and Mark always made sure the village and it's facilities were clean and in top shape. I would have really missed out had I chosen a diiferent hostel. Thanks for everything guys!!!

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 15, 2011

What was meant to be a 2 night stay in the tent village quickly turned into an 11 day stay! The staff are so friendly and helpful! Eric was so great and always had a smile on! At tent village Hayden, Angie, mark, Dan, and Christine were so great- such friendly people. We instantly became friends with each one of them. They are the main reason we stayed so long! Tent village is so great, the set up is different from anything and gave it such a unique and homey feeling. We would have stayed longer but unfortunately had to catch a flight. We plan on going back next summer, I would more than recommend this place to anyone. And be on the look out for Carl at the metro bar, great fun!

• Stayed July 2011
Berlin
Reviewed June 23, 2011

a disappointment. rooms sparsely furnished. minimal conveniences supplied. youd think someone would think to put a hook in the tiny shower room to hang a towel, or a shelf for shampoo bottles. this just one of a dozen examples.

the breakfast is total crap. its a joke really, to where you wonder if you are seriously supposed to enjoy that.

mostly young travelers, kids, if you value half-way decent accomo, look for something else!

• Stayed June 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here with a friend of mine for 2 nights in March 2010, and was completely surprised at what I found. This felt more like a private ski lodge in the middle of the Alps than a "hostel". We were visiting during the off-season, so the town was pretty quiet, which made our stay at this lodge even better. We had a private room upstairs with a skylight where you could look up through from your bed, watching the snow fall on the roof. It was a pleasant 15 minute walk to the main street of the town. I would highly recommend this place to others. You will NOT regret it. I cannot wait to go back already!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had a lot of fun at Balmers. The beer garden had a very friendly atmosphere and it was easy to get to know other travelers. Also the happy hour deals were great.

I stayed in a ten bed dorm, and for the first 2 nights I was the only one there, starting on Thursday the rooms started filling up and the entire place was full by Saturday.

I also liked that everywhere in town was within walking distance.

I will be back

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I've stayed in quite a few hostels over the years and it's difficult to get the balance right between meeting other people and having your own space/getting some sleep. Balmer's Herberge is basically a great place to meet other people, but an absolutely woeful place to get any sleep.

The experience is essentially like living inside an American frat party. There is no personal space to speak of - the rooms are incredibly cramped with a seemingly impossible number of bunk beds crammed into them. Worse than that, some of the beds (which are barely the width of a human being) are actually pushed right together, mattress to mattress with no barrier, so it's essentially like sharing a double bed with a complete stranger. Rolling over in the middle of the night will result in either falling on the floor or accidentally lying on top of someone.

You might get away with that if you were sharing with people you enjoyed the company of (like your friends) but being here as a solo traveller was just horrific. About 98% of the people I encountered (and I encountered a lot of people) were drunk American teenagers. If you are a drunk American teenager than I guess you might enjoy that, but I honestly don't think I met a reasonable, sane person the entire time I was there. Don't get me wrong, I like socialising, I like meeting other people, I like parties, but this... this was just like living inside the movie "American Pie".

No doubt if you enjoy this sort of thing - which probably requires you to be about 18, North American and obsessed with "partying" - then you'll love it, but I have no hesitation in labelling Balmer's Herberge as my own personal hell. I'd actually rather stay in a prison than stay somewhere like this again - at least in a prison a warden comes along eventually and tells everyone to be quiet!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank blank_frackis
London
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed at Balmer's for 3 nights. I chose it for the price, location and due to breakfast being included in the price as we were out of hotel by 8.30 AM every day. The hotel can be reached easily by foot from interlaken west station or by bus. It is a mere 40-50m from the Hotel Sonne stop.
I have stayed in youth hostels before and hence knew what to expect regarding the crowd and the atmosphere. But we were in a room facing the garden where there was a party every night - we needed ear-plugs. Breakfast was just a choice between bread rolls and museli - but I guess it was something to get us started in the morning.
On the plus side, there was a decent kitchen, fridge,dry storage, free wi-fi of accessing from your own devices, free bus tickets, good advice from the reception, game room, TV room, nice garden as well as lots of restaurants around.
Go for it if you need budget accomodation with good facilities and can sleep through a rumbunctious party!

Room Tip: The private rooms are a good option for families