“Below average but there are very limited alternatives”
Review of Al-Ula ARAC Resort

Al-Ula ARAC Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Al Ula
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is launched late 2000, and it needa to be renovated urgently.

The hotel is below average in general but there are no other better alternatives in the town

The hotel has a restaurant with limited variety and not tasty but just ok

The room furniture is old and the toilettes has terrible plumping! But functioning any way!

The hotel doesnt have scheduled daily houskeeping! If you need it call for it !

The hotel staff needs to be trained further, i asked the receptionist about the openning hours of Madain Saleh site and he told me it opens at 7:30 am when i went there it was closed until 9:00 am, but it is the main attraction ! He should knew it!

The other day i asked about the opening hours of the museum and one of the staff told me we dont know! It was fair for me!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank desert_legend

Reviewed May 30, 2013

For now, this is the only place in town.
Staff are very friendly, as are most of the people from the surrounding area.
The rooms are fine and clean.
The breakfast is ok, a few flies around, but nothing to get to concerned about.
The hotel will organise you a pass for Madein Salah and also organise tours and so on.
See my separate review on Al-Ula things to do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Grahamek
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Some work colleagues and I recently spent the weekend in Al Ula and arrived at the Arac Resort at 3 in the morning. A very sleepy clerk let us in quite graciously and when my key card wouldn't work he came promptly to sort it out. The bed was super-comfortable and I don't think that was because I was tired. The water was nice and hot and the air con worked effectively.

When I awoke in the morning and opened my door, I was delighted at the location. The rooms were arranged around a central garden filled with palm trees and with the backdrop of some spectacular rock formations. Our rooms had a little balcony with tables and chairs, so it was very pleasant to return back to the hotel after sightseeing and chill out with an ice cold drink.

The breakfasts weren't wonderful, but perfectly adequate - the only problem I had was the instant coffee. The service was efficient and friendly though so that made up for a lot. There is also a coffee bar in the foyer so it is possible to get a really good coffee once it opens in the morning.

I would definitely recommend this resort. While not upper end luxury, it is small, comfortable and charming. Definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LizaBee
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this 3 star hotel in Al Ula, to visit the famous Nabatean site of Al Hijr (Madain Saleh).

On the whole, we were happy with our stay: good service, fast maintenance (we had a small problem in the washroom), good quality of food & beverage at breakfast (still coffee is only powder one...), lunch and dinner. Actually we were suprised to find such a quality in this kind of hotel in Saudi Arabia. Cleanliness was ok, room was well equipped, good bed & pillows but poor lighting, with a fridge, a safe and a good but bit noisy AC.

Free internet (either Wifi or at business centre) is an added value.

Main drawbacks:
1) Noisy local family letting children shout at 23pm-1am in the garden area (1 evening only). Not well educated. The poor Saudi receptionist tried his best to ask this local family to stop their children, but not successfully. Other customers were unhappy with that. Management should improve there and be stricter with such customers.
2) The nice swimming pool is not heated (solar heating solution to work out?). And of course forbidden to women, which is legal but not tourists focused...

On the whole, a good choice (may be the only one ?) in this city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Basic hotel in Al Ula, clean room. Clean bathroom. Super expensive restaurant. I read reviews saying that the food was very good. I am not a picky eater. And I have to tell you that the food was average, even more. For the price was horrible.
We use to have buffets in Jeddah for half the price in MUCH better places with lot of choices. No joke. Just two options of chicken nuggets one night (and then they put the rest for breakfast), and fish was the other option.I have to be fare, the taste of the food was nice. Breakfast the same, very expensive (double price as nicer hotels in Jeddah) BUT the options were horrible, first time in my life that I see my husband complaining about coffee with milk. The milk was horrible, I can not understand why. Cats in the yard were around us, once we tried to eat something on the terrace and the cat jumped to our chair, there was no method to make him leave. My girls were very scared of the cats. (even more after they saw it catching and eating a bird). Overall, you do not have many choices (just one more). So, it is OK. And you have to eat there. No options.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Though we enjoyed our 2 day stay in this quaint motel, you need to have reasonable expectations. It was clean, with thoughtful amenities and service, but the shower and bath were small and the (free!) Internet slow at times. Breakfast was nice - didn't try dinner as we had arranged alternate dining in the desert in a Bedouin tent. The other hotel option in town apparently burned down last year. Highly recommend visiting the mud village and Nabatean tombs. We had just been to Petra and these are an interesting contrast, particularly because of the stunning scenery surrounding them. The government is working at opening the area to tourists, so will only get better.

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms off the Main Street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pueblohouse
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here for two days.
Food: The resturant serves a wide range of tasty dishes and nice drinks. However, they didn't have shrimps (even though it was listed on their menu). I was a bit disappointed about that but I substituted with the "mixed grill" which was yummy.

Room: The room was clean and functional, although the bathroom was quite old. I liked the the interior of the room. I also had access to a few good channels. The Internet speed was decent. Tipped off a few times but otherwise, fast. Room service available too.

Environment: : The environment was really lovely and pleasant- chalets-like structures surrounded by a nice garden.

Cat: There was an adorable cat roaming around.
Tour guide: was amazing. Very friendly and helpful. We paid 1000 (Saudi currency) for a day tour. His name is Musa. Pls use him if youre interested in touring the cit.
This is the best hotel in Al-Ula. I recommend it. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olive B

Been to Al-Ula ARAC Resort? Share your experiences!