“Gutted its changed”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Gutted its changed”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and i frequented this restaurant on a regular basis when it was called the silk bar. We went for my birthday recently and discovered it had changed name to east to west. It looked the same as silks so we carried on as normal. The decor is the same as to is the menu which is good because we love the silks food.
On arrival we took our seat and were the third couple in there. We immediately got asked for our drink order which was good and the amount of poppadoms we would like, again very quickly. We noticed there was only one waitress working that night and already she was busy. As more and more people came into the restaurant the waitress was buzzing around tables like a bee and it took 40 minutes for us to get our food after the poppadoms had been eaten, which we though was a long time considering. A large party came in and were rowdy and sat right by us which drowned out our chatter. They were offered a free drink each when they came in, which we thought was a bit strange as we hadn't been offered anything, but carried on.
The food was brilliant as per normal, both us having the chicken tikka. Price was good also. But it was the little things we missed like the personal feeling like it was when it was silks. We didn't get chocolates at the end of the meal or anything to wipe our hands on, which again was a nice touch previously. We were given complimentary irish coffees at the end of the meal without asking if we wanted, which we didn't, because i don't like coffee and my wife was driving!
All in all good food, good price but just isn't the same as it was before. May be a while till we visit again I'm afraid, which is sad because it was our favourite indian restaurant around by a mile.

1 Thank Darren H

“Excellent is a understatement!!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I couldn't resist to write a review on this restaurant!! Me and my family have visited silk bar in January we was very unhappy! The place looked fine but the toilets was disgraceful!! The table was dirty. The place was quiet while we was the only we was there, so looked like this place wasn't that popular I can imagine why. The waiters looked like they didn't know what they was doing. They had dirty clothes! The food was not that bad but the service was ok but nothing special. Silk bar was very cold and my children had to wear their coats while dining in this resturant. Recently we drove past and found out that silk bar no longer exists and is under new management. That same evening we went down to see if it has been improved. When we first come in the place was suprisingly busy which was nice to see. The waitress did tell us there would be a wait for ten mins time did go past and was 30 mins till we got seated which we didn't mind as they was short staffed. While we was waiting the 2 waitresses and the waiter gave us free drinks which was really nice of them. Once we was at the table each of our needs was met fantastically!! The attention we got over the time we had there was nice too. We was very happy to see that they was heating in east to west! staff had told me that they dont care about the heating bills which was a good sign. The food was phenomenonal! Wished I could go there every night!! Overall it has improved vastly and so glad it has. I can now understand why there is no silk bar no more! Our overall experience was fantastic and will be going there again (tomorrow hopefully). The bad reviews that has been put on here is disgraceful and I would definitely be ignoring them and u should do too!! To be honest I don't think they know what they are talking about!

“Absolutely brilliant!!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had been to this resturant previously when was named silk bar!! We was disappointed badly!! but We have seen that this resturant was under new management!! We thought I would try the place out!! We was greeted by the staff in a friendly manner! We noticed the place was very clean and everything we wanted was met to great standard! The waitresses was very friendly and the man appeared to be very smart and greeted us in a friendly manner! We was told that we could bring our own drinks or buy from the bar and we was very pleased! The attention that was given to us was pleasant polite and we was very happy! The previous staff made us feel rushed into leaving and always looked like they was bored! We didn't have this feeling in east to west mostly the opposite! The food was absolutely brilliant better then before! We would definitely recommend this place to all my friends and family! Or anyone reading this! All the bad comments before should definitely be ignored!! We will definitely be going there again and again and booking parties too!! Thank u all there for making our experience special and see u all again soon!!!!

“Good things always come to an end...”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have been using the Silk bar for well over a year now. The place was always spotless, good atmosphere, friendly but very professional waiting staff, fast service and superb food.

It wasn't like many other local rowdy bring as much beer as possible restaurants I have frequented as it had a licenced bar.

Unfortunately around 3 weeks ago things changed.

Someone new seems to have taken over and all the old waiting staff have gone. They have been replaced by 2 other staff who seem like fish out of water and nowhere near the effifiancy of the former staff. A former reviewer mentions one chewing gum, I witnessed one also smoking outside the building when I was going in. I'm sorry but that is not acceptable.

The service when entering was always quick and friendly, being greated by staff and either shown to a table or sat down. Now, one must just walk in and simply hang around the seating area until someone bothers to come over. I was actually sat for around 15 minutes like a moron until someone addressed me to tell me a table may be free in 10 minutes.

The seating is now extremely crammed and resembles a fast food joint rather than a restaurant, the tables are not cleared as quickly as they were and they are no longer cleaned between servings.

The food arrives as normal and is lovely. However the service is dire with the waiting staff seeming to take more time to hug and joke around with a few select customers while other paying customers wait...

The main gentleman who used to run the place still works there, he is a lovely fella and he seems to be the only one who operates professionally however he is let down by the other staff.

Such a shame, it was a great place.

Wouldn't recommend, I reckon in a few months it will end up a lager lout dive and close.

Bring back the old staff and management!

“Amazing place!!! I love it :)”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I really don't know how anybody could knock this place, it's a lovely restaurant, modern and fresh, couldn't ask for better food always fresh and made to taste as well as being great value for money!! Very clean and toilets are also looked after which is always a good thing too!! The staff are very friendly and freebies are given, always been a great atmosphere and the 2 waitress are always polite, friendly and willing to help very hard Woking toooo almost feels like your one big family :) overall I would highly recommend this to anybody!! The old 'silk bar' was a pile of crap and would beg for custom I came once and the food order was all wrong the wait was terrible and so was the service!! I wish east to west all the best I know it will do well I will continue to dine here thank you east to west for all the hard work put in to making each and ever experience here a fantastic one xx