“A beach all to yourself ...”

The Beach Boutique Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nuea Khlong
Houston
“A beach all to yourself ...”
Reviewed April 30, 2010

When we first arrived at the Beach Boutique Resort, I have to say we were a little disappointed. We had been very efficiently picked up by hotel car at the airport, and driven about half an hour in air conditioned comfort through quite an undeveloped part of Thailand.

When we arrived at the resort, check in was quite painless (unusually, they did not ask to swipe a credit card or anything). However when we were shown to our bungalow, we realized that the name 'resort' was a bit of a misnomer. The property is quite a small development of 13 bungalows (I think), with not much in the way of gardens or foliage.

We had rented one of the ocean facing bungalows, with splash pool and private garden. It was clean, but quite basic (and certainly not 'boutique'!) The furnishings were showing signs of wear. The wooden floor area by the shower area was rotting away (and had been partly repaired). There was a separate bath area that was 'outside' - in that it was vented to the outside, but there was a roof to keep the rain out. Unfortunately there did not seem to be enough hot water to enjoy the bath tub. Interestingly (and perhaps good for exhibitionists) the toilet was in a separate little room - but with a glass door. Similarly, the shower room door opened straight into the main bedroom, and also had a glass door.

We saw that the other bungalows were a bit smaller, and did not have a private sunbathing area.

There was no bar as such; just a small restaurant that had outdoor seating. The interior of the restaurant also had tables, but this space was generally used as a hang out for the staff; hence was not too welcoming. The restaurant was used for all meals. Breakfast was not so great. In the evening, nice tablecloths were installed and the atmosphere at dinner was very pleasant, with quiet music, a view of the sea, and candlelight.

As others have noted, the food (for Thailand) was very expensive (OK not as expensive as London, but not cheap - 450 Baht for chicken for example), but was mostly very nice - with a mix of Thai and Western selections. Wine connoisseurs should look elsewhere - two reds, one white and one sparkling completed the wine list. The usual range of cocktails were on offer (for about 250 Baht each), but there was no happy hour or anything like that (although the hotel kindly gave us a free cocktail on our last night).

As time went by, we started to enjoy the place a lot more. Due to the small numbers staying at the hotel, there was always a choice of sunbeds by the pool. The beach is easily accessible. The main beach is made from quite dark sand (with dark brown silty stuff in it) - but the hotel has a 'white sand' area adjacent to the pool. It looks like some sand has been imported to create this sunbathing space.

When we were there, the beach was deserted. Not a soul. You'd maybe see one or two motorbikes during the day. A boat would come by once during the day, presumably to drop off fresh fish etc. So if you are looking for peace and quiet, this is the right place! The sea was warm, and moderately clear given the type of sand on the beach. The sea was mostly calm when we were there, and swimming in the sea was easy and enjoyable.

The hotel loans out bicycles at no cost, so we went for a cruise down the road. After a kilometer or so we had found one small shop, a nearly deserted restaurant bar, and a fishing village. So not much around the hotel! We had also cycled past the sister hotel (the Sea Hotel?) - but it did not look from the outside to be nicer than ours. More adventurous folk could rent motorcycles to go further afield - but we are wimps so we did not attempt such risky activities.

The hotel also offers trips into Krabi town and to a couple of other locations(during the week, not at weekends so far as we can tell). We did not partake.

There was not much in the way of entertainment. Although there was a TV in the room, there only seemed to be news channels in English. Instead, the hotel offered a (very) wide range of DVDs - including some of the latest releases - so this was a great alternative which we took full advantage of.

Finally, the free wireless internet was (when it worked) very useful, albeit not the speediest connection.

Finally finally, as others have mentioned, all the staff were very friendly, and most spoke far better English than I could speak Thai!

Would we go back? Probably not since it was a bit quiet and basic for the money we paid (and we have been to larger resorts in Thailand and Malaysia) that seem to offer more facilities and luxury for the money). But if you really want to get away from everything, this may be a great place for you.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed April 24, 2010

My friend and I wanted a short, quiet and idyllic getaway from the bustle of city life and that's exactly what we got.

The location of the resort is very remote, which took a little getting used to at first, seeing that the nearest convenience store was 15min away by bike with no other amenities in sight. Then again, this 'isolatedness' served as a huge part of the resort's charm!

Our entire stay was well-spent, chilling out on the beach, dips in the pool and DVD marathons at night. Not to mention, the food at the coffeehouse was excellent! We definitely have fond memory of the garlic fish that's for sure. :)

We also greatly enjoyed the island-hopping snorkelling trip, although it could have been better if we were given more time to spend in Krabi Town.

I have to commend the staff of The Beach Boutique for their warm, sincere, attentive and impeccable service! They have definitely made us feel very welcome and were extremely helpful when I had problems with the room safe. Also, on noticing that my friend didn't eat the pineapples provided on the fruit platter, they were promptly replaced with bananas at the next meal. Not to forget, the group photo taken at the end of our stay added a personal touch that I've not experienced elsewhere.

The Beach Boutique Resort is a place that I hope to return to in future, and one which I would ABSOLUTELY recommend to anyone looking for a quiet getaway with A-Star hospitality in a pleasant and rejuvenating environment. We definitely returned to Singapore feeling refreshed!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Malaysia
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I've gone thru a lot of review here and I'm quite agree what others mentioned. Yes, the room is clean but a lot of ants found everywhere. Apart from this, I don't see any phone, papers, evelopes and pens. Don't even hv electric kettle and I found a bit inconvenient at all.
The stays are really comfortable especially at a very queit environment.
The restaurant served tasty food but the food is very expensive. Yes, I have understand the price to pay in a hotel is slightly expensive but I am rating the quality/portion of the food with the price. Foods are really over price. A plain rice cost 1USD+. In our country, white rice serves in Thai restaurants are free and you can had it until you vommit. Also the portion is really small. I hv to take 2 main dishes to fill up my stomach. The service are very very good until I don't have to ask for the bill and the bill will come to you. I think the management need to do something for this.
A travel package to island (Phi Phi/Four Island) are also available in the hotel but with cut throat price. How do I conclude is a cut throat price? Well, what say if the price is double? Initially I'm looking a package travel to Phi Phi Island and cost 2000 Bath/person but according to the staff due to rainy days, to Phi Phi Island is not possible at all. Finally I settle to Four Island package. The printed asking price is 1500Bath/person and the requirement need to be 4 persons to travel together... but ... wait.. most of the time traveller is only a couple. Therefore finally we need to pay 2000 bath/person. From what I know in krabi town, to Four island only cost 1000 bath/person.. therefore paying double will consider a cut throat price.
WiFi services are sucks here. I could search the signal but the signal is relatively weak. Let say max. 5 bar, I only could search for 1 bar and difficult to connect it.
Overall, I am happy to stay in this hotel and the staff are quite helpful.
This hotel are still be able to improve and I hope my next visit, the price of the food in the restaurant as well as the portion of the food will improve.

1 Thank Gpot
Tel-Aviv
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stayed at this wonderful place as the first stop in our honeymoon in Thailand, and what a great start it was! We loved our beachfront pool villa (comes in handy in the hot humid weather of Thailand) and the whole atmosphere of the place is very family like and extremely friendly. The restaurant serves an excellent and diverse food and if you like to have the desert in your room, simply ask them to drop it by. There is a nice selection of free DVD movies and the free WIFI connection in the room.
The only downside of this place is that it's remote, so you'll have you can't go shopping for groceries outside (there is a place you can bike 5 minutes to, but make sure to check the expiry date...!)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I'd booked a pool villa for 3 nights with Venere.com for husband's birthday. It started very nicely ... airport pick-up was efficient; check-in smooth. We were offered Pool villa no. 2 (no complaints about design or cleanliness!).

The air-con was already switched on (a good sign!) ... but after an hour, the temperature (as can be seen on the wall-mounted thermostat) was still 30 deg. As we live in Malaysia, we're used to super-efficient air-cons so lowered the temperature on the remote to 16 deg. After another hour, it was still stifling. So I informed reception who in turn asked maintenance to take a look.

When the maintenance guys showed up (unbelievably they didn't knock on the front door but instead used the side door ... I thought the plunge pool was private???!!), they just took away the filter and after 5 mins, put it back. As expected, it did nothing to solve the problem.

I once again went to reception. This time round, the lady (her name's Bee) who checked us in and the "manager" (who didn't bother to introduce herself) came to see what the problem was. They told us that "you shouldn't look at the wall-mounted thermostat as it doesn't show the correct temperature" but instead "look at the remote". When I told them we're used to air-cons and the way it works, they tried to retract their statement. I asked about moving rooms but they weren't forthcoming with suggestions. Finally we told them we'd be checking out immediately and that they are to arrange a free transfer to our selected hotel. I then called the Sheraton and got a room.

Whilst I understand Krabi's in the tropics, the management should factor in the heat and humidity and install an air-con with a higher horsepower (they obviously know this is an ongoing problem). I was hoping for a fab time, away from the maddening crowd. That sadly didn't happen.

1 Thank JulesB66
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Pros: Cozy place. Airy rooms. Friendly staff. Tubs and shower. Nice and quiet for families and couples.

Cons: Far from shops and restaurants.

Durham, England
Reviewed April 13, 2010

30 mins from the airport. We had a friendly greeting once arrived at the hotel. The rooms were spacious and contemporary. The AC was not great and we needed a fan in the room. It helped if we kept the AC on at all times. The hotel surroundings were very picturesque overlooking the beach. The quality of the beach is not fantastic for sunbathing on but great for a stroll. The pool was clean. The rooms were cleaned every day and towels were provided to take to the pool. The staff were extremely friendly and made you feel very welcome. Most spoke good English. Food was average, in comparison to what we ate in Bangkok. The choice for breakfast was a little disappointing but good choice for evening meals (although the same CD played each evening, with one particular track a Thai lady singing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" I thought xmas had come early :). Drinks were on the expensive side for wine and cocktails. There was also some confusion over our half board status, as they had only received guests on a B&B basis prior to this, but this was resolved after some discussions. On the whole we echo some prior comments made about the hotel, in that it has the potential to be great, the staff are a real asset to the hotel (all from the local Had Yao area), but there are some tweaks needed to raise its status.

1 Thank Globalduo
#160 of 182 in Krabi Town
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to The Beach Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!