“This is the real thing!”
Review of Ross Castle B&B

and 1 more site!
Ross Castle B&B
Ranked #1 of 4 Oldcastle B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“This is the real thing!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family spent a night in Ross Castle for my son's 11th birthday. He wanted to sleep in a "real castle" and it is. We slept in the upper tower room. The whole place is furnished with antiques, there are great views across the lake! The rooms are comfortable, and the place definitely has an "atmosphere." It was downright spooky at times! Quite an adventure! We had the whole place to ourselves!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Want to experience a night in a real Castle this is the one to choose. The Castle originally built by the Nugent family is delightful. The tower is the place to stay, it is quiet comfortable and offers an experience that is hard to find in the day and age. Benita and Sam made us feel welcome and were very knowledgeable about the history of the Castle and the surrounding area. Food was made to order and delightful. I suggest you order your dinner as well, as Benita is a great cook and restaurants are a some distance away. D&G Canada.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room it is an experience of a lifetime.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David L
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had stayed several years ago with Benita and Sam over the Christmas holidays. We had a incredible time and Benita and Sam treated us like family. We knew that when we returned to Ireland(and that took too many years), we had to stay with them again. We were so happy to see them and they greeted us with equal warmth to our previous stay. We can't say enough about these gracious people. Benita is an incredible cook and the castle is charming with just the right amount of spooky. We also enjoyed a walk down to Lough Sheelin which is beautiful. We can't wait to make a return visit to Ross Castle and the Walkers.

Room Tip: There is a wonderful view of Lough Sheelin from the tower rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at Ross for two nights with my family of 5 on our recent 2 week vacation to England, France, Ireland, and Scotland. What a unique and great stay. Very atmospheric and just the right amount of historic flavor without sacrificing creature comforts. Benita and Sam the owners were absolutely great. Friendly and warm! If you want to come back from your vacation with a really unique tale to tell, this is the place. A little hard to get to but really worth breaking away from standard hotel stay. My wife and I decided if we ever come back just the two of us we would make a point of staying longer. Would make a great relaxing and romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve W
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I returned again this year for a stay at Ross Castle with some friends. Once again Benita and Sam Walker were great host. We arrived and all check in rooms and I decided stay in middle bedroom in tower, which is supposed to be most haunted. I took my backpack to room and put my coat on chair and returned to great hall for some drinks before dinner. I forgot my camera in my coat and climbed back up spiral staircase and noticed some clothes had been thrown behind a chair. I picked up my camera and returned and ask if anyone had been and no would admit it. We had another great dinner of leg of lamb which was great. Then Sam started a nice turf fire and we sat around. When I returned to sleep and I found my jacket around the corner on a radiator and other clothes tossed around and one of my bottle of waters near window. Was not expecting this. So I guess I found what I was looking for. Benita made us a great breakfast and we had a great experience again. I look forward to returning with some more friends next year, but will let someone else enjoy the experience of the middle bedroom.

Room Tip: If you want a chance at a great experience, select middle bedroom in the tower, top room has great v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank paulterrysireland
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The first thing I would like to point out is that the one poor and to average reviews were done a long time ago. The current manager is a member of the family that owns Ross Castle and takes her job seriously. Keep in mind there are at least two Ross Castle's in Ireland this is not the one in Killarney.
We found the castle to be very comfortable and clean. The landscaping was good and there's plenty of parking. The breakfasts like in most B&B's in Ireland was huge.
It is difficult to find this location. They did give us latitude and longitude to enter into our GPS and this helped a lot. But we did still get lost. In my opinion it was well worth the trouble to find this hidden gem. Most if not all of the castles in Ireland are out of my price bracket. I thought that for what we paid this Castle was a bargain. We took two rooms and were the only people there, but it was early May. This turned out to be a good thing because we got to tour the entire Castle including the tower rooms. The tower rooms are very impressive. They are up a spiral staircase so they're not recommended for anyone with physical difficulties. But they have downstairs rooms which are very nice. The common areas had a very authentic Castle feel to them. We had a bad experience at a B&B that only had their heat on for three hours in the evening. So we asked our innkeepers to please be sure that the heat was not turned off. They gladly agreed to this. I only mention this because apparently it is not unusual in B&B's to turn the heat off at nighttime. I would recommend this Castle to any adventurous tourist. If you're looking for the Holiday Inn this probably is not your cup of tea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mangomike2
Sharps Chapel, Tennessee
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Benita and Sam provided my son and I with a marvelous experience. They couldn't have been any more friendly and welcoming. The ancient haunted castle atmosphere was exactly what I had wanted and was not disappointed. Creature comforts were there but not at the expense of the overall feel of the place. My son and I were the only guests so we had full run of the castle and grounds. Benita was there in the morning fixing a wonderful breakfast for us and of course Sam would be around as well making sure everything was as it should be but come nightfall we were alone (if you don't count the spirits). A blazing fire would always be waiting for us in the evening, a Godsend given the fact that castles are, by their very nature, COLD. We did have a few paranormal experiences but nothing so intense as for it to be intolerable although at times a little unnerving. If it's exercise you're looking for request the upper tower room! The location was absolutely gorgeous being out in the countryside and on a beautiful lake loaded with swans. If you want to know what living in a castle is really like then I highly recommend a stay at Ross. I will definitely be back! Thank you Benita and Sam.

Room Tip: If you're looking for convenience choose a ground floor room but if you want the true experience...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DMFPT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldcastle
Cabra Castle Hotel
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Cavan Crystal Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cavan

Been to Ross Castle B&B? Share your experiences!