“this Castle was a bargain”
Review of Ross Castle B&B

and 1 more site!
Ross Castle B&B
Ranked #1 of 4 Oldcastle B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The first thing I would like to point out is that the one poor and to average reviews were done a long time ago. The current manager is a member of the family that owns Ross Castle and takes her job seriously. Keep in mind there are at least two Ross Castle's in Ireland this is not the one in Killarney.
We found the castle to be very comfortable and clean. The landscaping was good and there's plenty of parking. The breakfasts like in most B&B's in Ireland was huge.
It is difficult to find this location. They did give us latitude and longitude to enter into our GPS and this helped a lot. But we did still get lost. In my opinion it was well worth the trouble to find this hidden gem. Most if not all of the castles in Ireland are out of my price bracket. I thought that for what we paid this Castle was a bargain. We took two rooms and were the only people there, but it was early May. This turned out to be a good thing because we got to tour the entire Castle including the tower rooms. The tower rooms are very impressive. They are up a spiral staircase so they're not recommended for anyone with physical difficulties. But they have downstairs rooms which are very nice. The common areas had a very authentic Castle feel to them. We had a bad experience at a B&B that only had their heat on for three hours in the evening. So we asked our innkeepers to please be sure that the heat was not turned off. They gladly agreed to this. I only mention this because apparently it is not unusual in B&B's to turn the heat off at nighttime. I would recommend this Castle to any adventurous tourist. If you're looking for the Holiday Inn this probably is not your cup of tea.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mangomike2
There are newer reviews for Ross Castle B&B

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Benita and Sam provided my son and I with a marvelous experience. They couldn't have been any more friendly and welcoming. The ancient haunted castle atmosphere was exactly what I had wanted and was not disappointed. Creature comforts were there but not at the expense of the overall feel of the place. My son and I were the only guests so we had full run of the castle and grounds. Benita was there in the morning fixing a wonderful breakfast for us and of course Sam would be around as well making sure everything was as it should be but come nightfall we were alone (if you don't count the spirits). A blazing fire would always be waiting for us in the evening, a Godsend given the fact that castles are, by their very nature, COLD. We did have a few paranormal experiences but nothing so intense as for it to be intolerable although at times a little unnerving. If it's exercise you're looking for request the upper tower room! The location was absolutely gorgeous being out in the countryside and on a beautiful lake loaded with swans. If you want to know what living in a castle is really like then I highly recommend a stay at Ross. I will definitely be back! Thank you Benita and Sam.

Room Tip: If you're looking for convenience choose a ground floor room but if you want the true experience...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DMFPT
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a great family vacation at this lovely, authentic, rustic castle! The hosts - Sam and Benita - could not have been nicer or more accomodating. There were 11 of us at the castle so they had their hands full. We had several early outings and they were always there to fix a delicious breakfast. The fire was always ready in the evening. Recommend getting the Irish GPS as it is a little difficult to find, but the journey through the countryside was half the fun. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the ghostly atmosphere adds to the excitement level of staying at a 16th Century castle. Benita helped set the mood on our first night with some ghost stories told with only the light from the fireplace dancing across our faces. I don't think any of us will ever forget the time we spent there and it will definitely be a regular stop on any future trips to the Emerald Isle.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe1226
Reviewed November 26, 2012

A big thank you to Benita and Sam for a most enjoyable family experience at their wonderful castle. Benita is an excellent cook and managed effortlessly to cater for our group of 12 adults and 6 children. The 12 adults all sat together for Sunday Lunch at an enormous carved oak table, on very comfortable ancient 'throne like' armchairs while the children were happily accomodated close-by at their own table. The surroundings were grand yet homely, made even more atmospheric by the most enormous blazing timber fire we had ever seen.

The food was excellent. For lunch we had a creamy butternut squash soup for starters, followed by delicious local roast beef served with a special Ross sauce, roast and mashed potatoes, buttered carrots, mashed swedes and seasonal brussels sprouts. Benita's bread and butter pudding went down very well with the adults while the children very much appreciated their special plate of desserts. Everybody raved about the high standard of the food and the comfort of the accomodation.

When it came to leaving Ross, nobody wanted to go home.... If Benita and Sam will have us back we would simply love to make this an annual family event.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dargle
Peter S, Manager at Ross Castle B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thanks for your great and very detailed review. And for the yummy description of the food. I'm sure Benita and Sam will be more then happy to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the second time that a group of friends and I have spent the night at Ross Castle for something different to do and both times I thoroughly enjoyed it. It can be a little hard to find and should maybe be signposted from the R154 just outside of Oldcastle. It is set in gorgeous surroundings that add to the eerieness on a cold winter night. The decor and atmosphere are authentic and the blazing fire in the main living room adds a cosy ambience. Benita and Sam are really welcoming and accommodating and Benita's cooking is amazing! The price for an overnight stay with 4 course meal and breakfast is really reasonable. It was the first time at the castle for each of my friends and they all want to go back. While the castle is available to any number of people travelling together, I think the best way to do it is gather ten or more people and have exclusive use of it. A friend of mine asked if we could make this an annual thing so no doubt we will be back :)
Tips on how to get there:
To get to the castle google Oldcastle. Go through the village on the R154 and drive right to Mount Nugent. Turn left at the Drapers shop in Mount Nugent and follow the road. You will pass Sheelin Nursing home on yur left then go over a small bridge. A short distance later you will come to a 4-fork cross roads, turn right for the castle. It is signposted from here but we got lost prior to this as Google was tying to send us down unnamed roads off the R154 that we therefore could not find so a farmer gave us these directions through Mount Nugent

Room Tip: The yellow room is the comfiest bed in the house but the room is not ensuite. Travellers can bring...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JayBeck

Thanks a lot for your positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I'll make sure Benita and Sam will get your positive feedback.

And thanks for the directions. We'll work on some enhancements on our webpage to make it easier to find the castle.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you are looking for an authentic Irish castle experience, look no further than Ross Castle. To be clear, this is not a 5 star luxury resort, but this is a wee bit of history, with authentic rooms, good food and comfortable beds. The tower room has lots of narrow steps but it's aimbiance is truly memorable. Bonita and Sam are great hosts who go out of their way to accommodate your every need.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Ross Castle for only one night, but we wished we had more time there. Bonita and Sam were great hosts. We were the only ones booked for the night, but we did have company for dinner, Bonita's parents and friends, and Bonita and her daughter cooked the dinner. Delicious! We had booked the upper tower room, but after a week of an apartment on the 4th floor with no elevator, I contacted Bonita and asked for a ground floor. She graciously agreed. I did wander the castle tower, though.
I will say, I don't know what I heard, but as I went up to each level to take pictures, I heard a strange noise, sort of like a child whining, crying?, playing? With each level it got a bit louder and was the loudest in the upper room. I was a bit spooked and went down to the sitting room where my husband was. I asked him what had been making the noise and he hadn't heard it. Not saying it was a ghost, just telling what happened. We also had a "bump" against the bed in the middle of the night. Hmmmm. Anyway, we didn't see any ghosts, so who knows. The castle does feel a bit spooky. The beds were very comfortable and our room had access to the outside and a little patio, which was nice. We loved our night at the castle. We enjoyed our dinner companions and conversation, also. The breakfast was lovely with Bonita's home made yogurt. If we go to Ireland again, we will definately plan a couple of nights at the castle!

Room Tip: To get to the tower there is a small spiral staircase. I would advise a lower room if climbing stair...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arkitkat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldcastle
Cabra Castle Hotel
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ross House Equestrian Holidays

Been to Ross Castle B&B? Share your experiences!