“Impeccable campground, warm owners!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Glasgow
New Glasgow Highlands Campgrounds
Montreal, Canada
“Impeccable campground, warm owners!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay at for my first visit to PEI. The campsite was absolutely impeccable, and the owners Les & Marlene were so very welcoming and humble. I stayed there with my mom and little brother, and we absolutely loved it. The bathrooms were always clean, the shower stalls incredibly practical and it was all very well taken care of.
The campground was nice and relaxing and very family-friendly.
We had rented a cabin for a week, for a reasonable price, and we paid an additional small fee for the optional camp supplies which was great, and saved us the hassle of having to worry about packing linen, towels, dishware, etc! I especially enjoyed their nice little cozy lodge which also has more kitchen utensils and all sorts of pots and pans, as well as a stove, microwave, etc. The pool was also always nice and clean, and they have washers & dryers on site too. The little camp store was also very reasonably priced in case you forget any necessities!

In short, it was such a pleasant stay (despite the lousy weather we had!!), and I will definitely be going there for my next PEI camping trip!

Great job, Les & Marlene, and thanks for having us!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica407

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Halifax, NS
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is my honest review of New Glasgow Highlands Campground in PEI. I camp a LOT in Nova Scotia, but travel to PEI annually for the CBMF.

The owners were very friendly upon arrival. I camped during a busy music festival weekend with VERY BAD weather expected. We were charged more than the normal amount, but I really wanted to go to the festival so I was aware of that before we arrived. I paid $45 for an unserviced site and we had to pay for four nights, even though the festival is only three days. Their normal fee for an unserviced site is $30. I later found out by talking with people that they were allowed to come for just a night. Why I was forced to pay for four nights still isn’t clear to me.

The campground is nicel, but VERY QUIET. If you want a peaceful weekend, this is the place to go. We were trying to help two ladies blow up their air mattress on Friday afternoon, when they were asked to turn their music down. It was not loud and it was only 3 pm. We got the feeling socializing was frowned upon.

Two friends of mine had driven up and were waiting for me Friday evening. The owners were well aware this might happen. My friends and I were “sushed” when we were talking and getting their belongings moved from their car to my trailer. It might have been 11:30pm and there weren’t any neighbors to my left and the neighbors to my right weren’t even back yet.

The next day, my friends were asked to leave the bathroom while they were getting ready to head to the festival. They had taken a “selfie” and Margaret asked them to leave. I paid extra to have my two friends join me and the owners were well aware they were coming. My friends did not feel welcome there.

My BIGGEST complaint about this campground was how campers were treated. We were hit with a tropical storm, HURRICANE ARTHUR on Saturday, but the owners didn’t seem very concerned for people’s well being. We were in their lodge (a building with a small kitchenette, couches, games for a rainy day, etc) and spoke to Les about the possibility of him leaving the lodge open all night or at least later as we knew of a few people who had collapsed tents and would be sleeping in their car but he refused. He offered to leave the lodge open 30 mins later but not all night. I have a tent trailer and had witnessed a tree fall, and a LARGE branch fell from a tree onto my friend’s car, so we put the trailer down and slept in our cars, down the road in a parking lot, as we didn’t feel safe at the campground. The fact he would not keep that room open for people with nowhere to sleep was pretty shocking.

I noticed a sign saying all kids had to be back at their campsite by dusk, etc. I wouldn’t even come back with my children in fear they would not be allowed to play freely. I will NOT be back to this campground.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
13 Thank PalmTreeTammy
17marles56, Owner at New Glasgow Highlands Campgrounds, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi there. Just want to clarify a few points on your review of our campground. The price for an unserviced site is $35 per night for two people and that is exactly what you paid. Not sure where you came up with the idea of $45. Just doubled checked your registration form. For the concert weekend we do have a four night policy, if someone was here for one night it is because they booked at the last minute and we had a spot available for them.

The girls in the washroom were asked to step outside while I finished mopping as they were NOT using the washroom just talking on their cell phones. At that point no one had even registered for these people so I didn't even know who they were.

Our campground is quiet and that is what most people like about it. Most people forget when they rent a site in a campground that that is what they rent and no one else should have to listen to someone else's music, noise, etc. On our rules of the campground it is clearly stated - no car radios - that rule was suggested by our campers who have been in campgrounds where they couldn't hear themselves over other people's music.

As for the Hurricane that blew thru, a limb or two did come down and we were fortunate that nothing more serious happened. I witnessed the same tree fall and we did clean up the area and by evening the winds had subsided. Your site was very sheltered and no problem with your camper.
Kids do play freely but most parents want to know where their kids are at dusk. Much safer for everyone.
This is always a busy weekend and we have lots of folks who are not here for the Music Festival so we run the campground the same way as we always do.

The majority of people who stay with us are looking for what we try and offer. We do realize that in this business you can't please everyone, we just try to be fair to all.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2014

By far the best place to stay on the Island. Great, friendly owners, and a beautiful setting. Everything is well maintained and kept clean. Good pricing and it is located in a central location. We stay here nearly every year and never regret it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank shannhugo440
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Couldn't have been happier with our stay at New Glasgow Highlands Campgrounds. The owners of the campground are extremely helpful and friendly and provide one of the cleanest and well-maintained campgrounds I have ever been to. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Naomi V
Invermere, BC, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were beyond pleased with our time here. Owners are the best we have ever met in any campground...friendly, generous, helpful. Even gave us 2 lawn chairs when one of ours broke. Immaculate washrooms, great lodge, reasonable price for great firewood. We were there for 3 days and could have stayed for a week, or two. Every thing you want to see on PEI is an easy drive, and if we are lucky enough to get back, we won't look for any other place.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bobkrocker
Gabriola Island, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Driving from coast to coast of Canada, you get to see alot of different accommodations. New Glasgow Highlands Campground was the best! Quiet & clean, we checked in for one night & stayed for three.
Les had the fireplace going for us in the morning in the lodge so we had a nice place to cook breakfast. The bathrooms & cabins were spotless. I could walk around in my sock feet without getting them filthy which I couldn't do even in the higher priced hotels.
Marlene made recommendations on what to visit & where to eat, they take the time to make sure that their guests have a great time. I wish you weren't on the opposite coast otherwise I would be there every summer for a visit.

Room Tip: The cabins are comfortable with electricity & heat, and half the price of other chain cabins whi...