“Andalucias Best Kept Secret”

Finca Los Pinos Guesthouse
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have just returned from 3 fab nights at Los Pinos in Villaneuva de Rosario and am still wearing a big smile everytime I think about waht a wonderful expereince it was.

Firstly the location of Los Pinos is simply stunning and magical, set amongst olive groves up in the hills with endlessly beautiful views from the rooftop terrace, breakfast room, patio and swimming pool. You could easily spend 3 days or more just hanging out and soaking it all up.

Secondly Julie and Terry, the owners are brilliant hosts. Flexible about timing and food, helpful with any information, knowledgebale about the area and best of all brilliant company if you just want a chat over wine and tapas.

I stayed in the Morocan themed room and it was beautiful, with excellent design details and attention to the little things like a big fluffy bathrobe, biscuits for my coffee, lovely hebal teas and other little treats. The rest of the house is just as lovely, inlcuding the pool area which was helpfully arranged every morning for me complete with sunbeds and towels!

Julies breakfast was probably one the nicest hotel breakfasts I have ever had! All local and homemade fresh food and plenty of choice and so tempting that I was often too stuffed to even think about lunch! YUM! Dinner was amazing too! Worth staying in for and really great value with all my vegetarian needs caterred for.

I will definately be going back although I dont think it will be long before this place is fully booked because it really is wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Such a delightful place to stay - peaceful, stylish, relaxing, playful and so special. Loved every moment - from feeding the hens, taking in the views, following recommendations for great places to eat - (not forgetting Julie's great cooking!) Great place to explore the area. Close to Cordoba and Malaga.
Liz

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Wonderful views of snowy mountains, while enjoying the warmth of the dining room - not what I expected from Andalucia, but lovely none-the-less. The warmth of the welcome at Finca Los Pinos was just as good even without much sun. I too loved the Turkish eggs provided by the ladies at the bottom of the garden (and of course, Julie). The Morrocan room is gorgeous. Enjoyed wonderful cuisine at YerbaGuena thanks to Julie and Terry's local knowledge. Next time I'm planning on sun and a little longer in Antequera.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It is very easy to find if you follow their instructions and turn off at exit 16 (marked Villanueva Del Rosario) and NOT at exit 20 (also marked Villanueva del Rosario) !!
We absolutely loved it. It is an oasis of peace with tranquil views to distant mountains. A lovely pool, an open kitchen, and (being a design freak) I loved the bread oven (designed by Julie and Terry’s son, Jamie Fry – see www.jamiejoseffry.com) at the back of the pool. Best of all were the rooms which were stylish, utterly comfortable, immediate hot water and great pressure, quiet, everything you needed was there but there was not too much of anything. Julie has an eye for buying just the right things in Morocco and South Africa. The breakfast was quite superb and very original with a choice of egg dishes done Turkish style or any other way, fresh fruit, home made jams, and all served so prettily on attractive pottery with a green leaf here and there – real magazine stuff! You can order dinner in advance. DO SO. Excellent cuisine. Terry and Julie joined us at table – at our request – which was an absolute bonus and we laughed a lot. A memorable stay. It makes an absolutely ideal stop for anyone arriving at Malaga and heading for Granada. – it is only a 40 minute drive from Malaga airport. Stay two nights so that you have a whole day to visit the fantastic rock formations at El Torcal. A great place to ‘chill out’ before doing the Andalusian trail. Oh yes, I shall go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Julie F, Owner at Finca Los Pinos Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review & your subsequent e:mail which I have copied below as per your suggestion. We were somewhat relieved to receive your e:mail explaining the rating as we simply couldn't understand the scoring - it didn't match up to your overall score & comments. So - thank you once again for taking the time.........................We hope to see you here again in 2013!

Dear Julie and Terry,
I have just received the review I wrote on Finca Los Pinos, posted 21 November. For some reason only Rooms has been given a 5 for excellent. I am sure I would have filled in 5 in all the categories – is it possible that I forgot to fill these in and that Trip Advisor added the 5 for Rooms as I spoke so highly of them in the review? I have tried to update this with a request, but get an automated answer that I cannot edit a review and can only re submit a review after 3mnths. I went to the help line but get the same answer.

I am so sorry – as you will gather from the review I was enchanted by your set up and would certainly have given the other categories a 5 also. I know this rating goes towards your ranking in the area, and would hate to think I am the one that has pulled you down. Really sorry I cant do anything to amend this. All I can do is to make a note to re submit this same review in 3 months time and then add the comment that ‘something had gone wrong’ with the ratings as all categories should have been 5 – maybe this makes extra impact, that someone bothers to correct their own review?

Sorry, friends, hope all goes well.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

A hidden gem.. Colourful, stylish, spotless rooms set against a peaceful and serene mountainous backdrop. A real spot for retreat and relaxation, with friendly and welcoming hosts who go the extra mile to add a personal touch to your stay. Go! Enjoy!
p.s... Try the Turkish eggs for breakfast :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Julie F, Owner at Finca Los Pinos Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We appreciate your kind words and feedback - thank you. It was our pleasure...and so happy that you enjoyed the Turkish breakfast dish. We do like to give our guests the choice of something a little different for breakfast and it's wonderful to get such positive comments.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I took my mum out to Finca Los Pinos for 4 nights in July. What a wonderful place to spend some time. There was talk of me getting up at dawn to ride my bike but this place is so chilled out that this was never really an option! Instead we would have an amazing breakfast then I'd set of into the hills for a few hours of the most epic riding. Beautiful mountain passes, stunning views, eagles (x3), no cars - amazing, and all on the doorstep! As everyone's mentioned, Terry and Julie are the most fantastic hosts with a genuine feel for everything thats local and good about the area. Perfect for idyllic isolation, as a base for the cultural highs (Grenada, Malaga, Seville and Cordoba) and for the thrills of the mountains (climbing, biking). See you soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for this review. Your feedback on the cycling routes is valuable and hopefully helpful to future cycling guests. Glad you slept so well...told you that you would'nt manage those early mornings! It's all about the quality of sleep............J&T FLP

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We found ourselves at Finca Los Pinos for a long weekend in May to celebrate a birthday and to learn how to climb outdoors in the beautiful mountains surrounding Villeneuve del Rosario. Booking couldn’t be simpler and Julie was so helpful and accommodating, from suggesting fabulous restaurants in the local area for birthday celebrations, keeping us updated on the much needed sunshine and even offering to bake a delicious orange drizzle birthday cake!
We arrived and were met by Julie and Terry and were immediately made to feel at home. Settled amongst the olive and almond trees with stunning views of the mountains we were to climb, Finca Los Pinos was just perfect!

Julie and Terry have a fantastic artistic flair which can be seen throughout Finca Los Pinos. Everywhere you look, so much thought and detail has been put into it to really make you feel at home. The rooms are beautiful and individually decorated with a lovely selection of tea/coffee facilities with homemade cookies and a complimentary mini-bar was also a treat, especially the cava after a hot day climbing! And Finca wouldn’t be what it is without the stunning sounds of Julie and Terry’s music collection which can always be heard in background.

I would definitely recommend having one of Julie’s superb dinners. Wanting to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings, Julie made an amazing four course birthday meal with delicious wine, carefully chosen by Terry. One thing’s for sure, you won’t get a bad wine at Finca, and all for an amazing €20 each!

At Finca Los Pinos, you arrive as guests and you leave as friends. Julie and Terry are the perfect hosts and nothing is ever a hassle. From packed lunches, bottles of water, places to visit, to cold beers and welcoming smiling faces at the end of the day, Finca Los Pinos never fails.

Room Tip: Ndoro is decorated with and African theme and textiles with a terrace and stunning views of the moun...