“Westwood House Hotel”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here many times and also got married here. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough. Staff very welcoming. Located only 5 mins from the city. Keep up the great work and no doubt we'll be back to you see you again soon

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nora.G B

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed here while visiting our daughter residing in Corrib Village. Perfect location to be within walking distance of the University. Nice pub, decent breakfast. Our room suited our needs perfectly. I disagree with reviewer who complained of noise during a wedding weekend - a wedding occurred during our visit, and we didn't hear a peep. Maybe it depends on where your room is. We were in a WI-FI corridor which was quite helpful. If you want to be around the action, stay closer to downtown. This place is quite far north of the city proper. It's a 6-7 euro cab ride to downtown.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front entrance side of the hotel - pub directly below. Not too noisy, but I ima...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank S D
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Hotel has nice rooms but old fashioned toilets are noisy. Took a shower late and tried to dry my hair but the wall unit didn't work. So I tried to call reception to report the problem. But the phone didn't work either. 3 phones in the room but none of them worked. For the cost of the room at least one phone should have worked.

• Stayed: July 2014
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Billhill,
Thank you for sending on your feedback. I have carried out a full review of all the rooms in relation to your review. We have found no issues with the phones in any room but we did get a hairdryer with a blown fuse which we changed straight away.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope you will consider the Westwood on your next visit to Galway. If so please contact me personally at generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Good location on Clifden Road on way into Galway. Good parking facilities and city centre accessible on foot ( about 30mins walk ). Good if not spectacular restaurant and nice bar. Room very comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: Quiet location so noise should not be a problem.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommynak
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived at Westwood house on a saturday evening. We had a very good first impression of the hotel: Large, clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff and good location (approx. 5 mins out of town by car).

Unfortunately our stay was not as comfortable as we expected it to be based on the first impressions. Our room (109) was located directly above a wedding venue. We returned to our room at about 9.30 pm after having dinner in town.

There was no chance of getting any sleep as the band played very loud music until 2.30 am! As the room was directly above the venue, it was extremely loud and we felt like being in the middle of the party. It must have been a very good party! Remark: We would not complain about a little music, even if it would have been played until midnight. But it didn't stop at midnight and the music kept going with unchanged volume until approx. 2.30 in the morning.

We complaint twice at the front desk via telephone and asked for another room. In addition to that, we wrote an email to the GM asking for refund (s. picture below). As the hotel was fully booked, we couldn't change the rooms. The next morning we talked to an assistant manager, who was indeed very friendly and promised to arrange for refund.

Nevertheless, we left the hotel totally dissatisfied on sunday morning. The hotel itself is nice, but in our opinion the noise from the party was unacceptably.

A week or two later, we received an email from Westwood House offering a refund of only 25%, which was not agreeable for us.

If you stay there: Make sure that there is either no wedding party during your stay or that you get a room which is far away from the wedding venue.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not in the rooms above the wedding venue!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThoManu
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Dear ThoManu,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologise to you here for the lack of sleep quality experienced. I believe we have discussed everything in personal emails between us. Once again I would like to sincerely apologise.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Nice old building in pretty setting. Pub and restaurant are nice -good food. Staff are pleasant.
Room was adequate but quite stuff in warm weather with no fan or a/c. Traffic noise was a little disturbing.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kgor,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have my maintenance team looking into the Air con. I am glad everything else was to your satisfaction and if you are ever back in Ireland it would be wonderful to have you stay with us once again.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have been reviewing on Tripadvisor for few years and always reveiw totally honestly what is my personal opinion on hotel or restaurant or city etc due to my experiences there. I am shocked recently at those who review negatively for some premises just because they are bit peed of at something in a hotel other than food or cost or a genuine valid reason for a negative comment. Its so hard for a business which a hotel is to combat that negativity. The written word sits there to be read and taken as gospel for a long time.

I stayed in Westwood House Hotel last weekend with two friends. I do check Tripadvisor regularly if looking for a hotel and look at food, service, cleanliness, proximity to city, peace and quiet, spa etc etc .... the practical things. Some reviews on this hotel almost put me off booking. The traveller photo's looked good, there was parking, food looked good etc so in end when they had availability and staff on phone we so nice I booked it. Bit of trepidation to be honest. I have to say I was so happy from the moment we drove into the tree edged hotel grounds with ample safe parking and a short walk to the hotel door. All areas of the hotel are gorgeous including reception. Staff in all areas of the hotel were so so friendly but it was natural not from training or forced..........they were just professional and so nice. They gave us terrific info on directions when driving to places we needed to visit. Our room was spotless, plenty of good fresh air in big windows, fab bathroom. We had dinner one night in dining room and again staff just so nice and food was top class. One of us booked room service dinner one night again excellent and prompt. Breakfast each morning (now we were down early so had quite room almost to ourselves) was really good. Again staff were just themselves so natural and just lovely. So many times in hotels your feel the staff are trained to such an extent that the friendliness has to be forced they seem to go through the motions cos they are tired. Staff in this hotel you felt liked working there and the place had a friendly feel throughout from reception to household staff to bar staff. We found the cost of accomodation and food etc was excellent...very good value for money. We would not hesitate for a moment to book this hotel again and advise our friends to use it too. It in a lovely area and not far out of Galway city at all. My advice and that of my friends who were with me.....its a fantastic hotel in all senses and they deserve to be praised highly and deserve to be supported in business. I will be staying there again when next in Galway.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked front door and carpark.........there was no noise inside or outside hotel....qui...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank eire317
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Maldron Hotel Galway
#7 of 46 in Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
#11 of 46 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!