“Happy days” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westwood House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Bray, Ireland
“Happy days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Four of us oldies had a great couple of days in this hotel, we found the staff efficient and very pleasant, the rooms and the bed in particular very comfortable, and the room staff excellent. We will be back later in the year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AineN34
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear AineN34,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I was delighted you picked up on the Accommodation team here. Some of our unsung heroes that help in giving the warm welcome that we try to give everyone.

I look forward to your return visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Alpharetta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Traveling with a group of 30 from my church, we made the rounds through Ireland in 10 days. Our stop in Galway was made especially special because we had hotel accommodations at the Westwood House Hotel. Very comfortable rooms with all the nice toiletries one could wish for. Spacious rooms, very good television, etc. Dinner was provided at the hotel for our tour group. We were not disappointed. Very nice selection. Good service; good people; good night's sleep. What more can we ask for?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KrisAnderson60
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Krisanderson60,

I was trilled to read your wonderful review. As you said with the great team we have hear and the excellent facilities and food, what more could you ask for. I remember your group very well and I am delighted and grateful you took the time to write your review. I hope we will see you and your group soon again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and myself stayed here for a weekend. We also stayed recently in a 5star hotel. And I have to admit The Westwood is far superior. The quality of service was by far better. The room was of a very high standard. The food was outstanding. Yes it only holds 4star status but it was so much better than the 5star hotel we stayed in. I would heartily recommend it to anyone and I'm looking forward to staying at The Westwood again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen W
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

My boyfriend & I recently stayed in the Westwood for a night. We have stayed here previously and find the amenities to be good for the price and the staff have always been very efficient and helpful.

There was no room service menu in our room so we called down to reception to get one. A while later we got a call from reception to say there was a Menu in our room information folder. We explained that we had checked there before calling down to reception so she said she'd get a porter to drop a menu up to us as soon as possible. We were left waiting so long we had to phone down again to see if they'd forgotten about us! The receptionist apologised and said that she was new and they were run off their feet. This was a Sunday evening and as far as I was aware there was no function being held so that wasn't a very satisfactory excuse. When the menu finally arrived we placed our order and got a call some time later to say that one of the items we ordered wasn't available. At this stage I just wanted to phone dominos and order a pizza!

The food took ages to arrive and the quality really wasn't great.

All members of staff we encountered were genuinely apologetic and it obviously wasn't the end of the world but it did leave a sour taste in our mouths which is a pity as we had booked the Westwood based on previous good experience and I really doubt we will stay here again.

I thought it would have been a nice gesture to offer us a discount on our final bill (we spent €52 on room service which I would consider to be a significant amount for a one night stay) but we just got another apology.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmacDublin
Dear cmacDublin,

I would firstly like to once again sincerely apologise for what is a very simple procedure and one we do well every other day. I have no excuses but to insist that it was a once off and that as your past experience has proven that your experience is not the norm.

I am glad that the team here were genuinely apologetic. I would like to ask you to email me privately on generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com and allow me to apologise in person as well as compensating you in some way.
Co Wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My Mother and i stayed here over the Easter weekend and overall had a very pleasant stay. The staff were very friendly & efficient, the food in the restaurant was very good as was the breakfast. The only complaint was the air conditioning was not working properly in the room making it hot & stuffy. When we came back in the evening we had to put in on full blast which was noisy and had to keep it on low all night, other than that the room was large, as was the bathroom and spotless.
I would recommend this hotel but I hope they get their air conditioning sorted out!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LesleyCoWexford
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed for two nights over Easter for a family wedding. The outside was a bit off-putting (in a delicate shade of tangerine!) but inside was lovely and the staff were very friendly. We had a deluxe double room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. The room was clean and the bed was very comfy. The heat in both the hotel room and the public areas of the hotel was verging on sauna-like while we were there. The room air conditioning was noisy and inefficient. The meal at the wedding reception was lovely. Considering it was mass catering it was served warm by efficient and friendly wait staff and was very tasty. Breakfast was also a big plus with a good range of hot food that could be prepared to order as well as some very nice buffet options (and fabulous pastries!). Key Cards kept losing their programming which was a bit frustrating but all in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Angelnet
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Angelnet,

Thank you for sending in such a lovely and honest review. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience while attending a wedding. We take great pride in providing a warm and friendly service as well as one of the best wedding this side of the River Shannon.
I have passed on your review to all the team here with my thanks and I hope the next time you are in Galway you will consider staying with us again.
Thank you again for your review and I look forward to meeting you the next time you are back with us.
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Westwood House Hotel on May Bank Holiday weekend. I was really looking forward to our stay. On arrival I thought the hotel looked nice. However, our greeting was underwhelming and the lady at reception was by no means overly welcoming. I thought this was poor behaviour for a 4 star hotel. Our room was very nice and had been well cleaned by the accommodation staff. It was spacious and bright and had all the facilities of a 4 star hotel.
On the first night we ate in the Westwood Bar, the service and food were great and the waitress with the blonde hair was fantastic. One major problem we encountered was when we went to our room that night we were greeted by extremely loud music from the wedding downstairs. Our room was over the functions area so it was hard to hear anything else. We were not part of the wedding party so it was very annoying. At half 11 at night I rang reception to enquire about the noise level and I was told the band would be playing until half 1 that night. The receptionist told me that there was no other room available and that people who are not part of the wedding are placed on the second floor, however we were on the first floor. The lady at reception was not very helpful at all. Eventually the noise died down.
On departure, once again, the service at reception was not what we were expecting. We got an "okay, thank you" no apology for the noise, or if we enjoyed our stay.

Overall the hotel itself is lovely and relaxing, the bar is great (drink prices a bit dear), but the service at reception does not meet that of a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if there is a function.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A S
Dear Aine O,

i would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I would also like to apologise for experience you had with us here in the Westwood. As seen from other reviews we take great pride in providing a welcoming and friendly service. There is no excuse for how my receptionist acted and I have spoken to the front office team in relation to this.
I would also like to apologise for the loud music. While it is always our intention to but non wedding guests to a quieter area of the hotel there are times we miss some rooms. This is by no means an excuse and I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I am also happy that you had some good experiences here in the Westwood. I have passed on the compliments to the Kitchen and the Bar team in relation to your review also. Thank you
If you are ever back in Galway please feel free to contact me personally at generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com and I would be delighted to look after you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Park House Hotel
The Twelve Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barna
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,605 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!