“nice hotel, very comfortable.”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Letterkenny, Ireland
“nice hotel, very comfortable.”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

we stayed here for two nights for a graduation, overall we had a really nice stay. staff were pleasant and the food in the restaurant was really good.rooms were clean. my only fault would be that we couldnt get wifi in the room due to weak signal. nice night porter brought us tea and toast for our 5.30 departure, my other quibble would be as i got a smoking there was no ashtray in my room, asked at reception for one but she said she didnt have any and made no attempt to get one either.housekeeping did leave one the next day when they seen i had to use a glass tumbler.
would stay again,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear maryellenc374,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us here in The Westwood.

First of all may I apologise over the issue of ashtrays, yes of course, as you had a smoking room there should indeed have been an ashtray in the room. I have spoken to our accomadation staff about this and a check system has been put in place to ensure this is the case in future. The issues you experienced with the wifi have also been rectified with the introduction of new routers.

I was delighted to read however how you enjoyed our other services, and in particular our restaurant and the food that was on offer. Should you choose to stay with us again, please contact me directly so I can ensure you have everything you require for your stay.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Booked hotel and was advised we would get an upgrade as price of room on Fri was near double that of Thur- room was quite small, food access very limited after nine, water in room tap water bottle not changed over 2 days. Saving best for last a wedding on Friday - awoken at 4am to screaming etc at the Main door under our room- we complained- it continued thru to 5:30am- advised them at desk of our experience and we were told they considered this in the allocation of our room! Don't think so- so they removed the charge for internet and the sandwich on room service.

Room Tip: Ask for room at upper end of car park away from function room & bar/lounge
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Eirr,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Our Meridian Restaurant is open until 9.30pm on Weekend Nights. After 9.30pm we operate a 24 hour room service menu that offers a range of dishes including hot maincourses. I sincerely apologise that the bottled water was not changed over the course of your stay - this I can assure you is not our normal standard and I will investigate how this happened with the accommodation team. We do have 2 Night Porters on duty when we have a Wedding taking place and they are normally most adept at keeping over exuberent and any inconsiderate guests away from areas that they might cause disturbance to others - of course due to the nature of what one deals with at this time of the night/morning they are not always successful in so doing. I would be delighted to make amends to you for your disturbed nights sleep and with this in mind would welcome you contacting me when next considering an overnight in Galway.

Kind regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I just stayed one night on a business trip and found the hotel to be efficient and friendly, the room was very nice and clean, the food was good and all in all it was a good choice. Breakfast was served promptly and the bar had a nice atmosphere to sit and chat in. I could not fault my stay at all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Wendy C,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here with us at The Westwood.

I was delighted to read how you enjoyed all our services, from our rooms to our food, and our bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.

Parlin, NJ
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here last week, it is on the outskirts of Galway - we were planning on seeing Connemara and didn't want to stay in the heart of the city and we are glad we didn't, the roundabouts in Galway were a trip in itself! It was warm while we were there and the a/c wasn't working in our room. They offered to give us a different room but we only had one more night and didn't feel like moving. Great breakfast, friendly staff. I would recommend The Westwood Hotel but hopefully they repair the a/c in room 215...Also try the Westwood Burger in the bar, best I'd ever had!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear MaryBethG,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay @ The Westwood. I apologise that the air-conditioning was not working in your room during your stay and for the impact that had on your nights rest. We do run a comprehensive maintenance regime and I will investigate why this was the case and have it rectified immediately. I was delighted to read that you rated our breakfast as great and that you found our staff friendly and indeed thank you for your rating for the Westwood Burger as the best you've ever had.

Kind regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Westwood House ended up being a good choice for us for 3 nights, as it was very close to Galway's City Centre (about 1.5 miles), but far away enough to avoid all the noise. It's a nice-sized hotel with with decent-sized rooms. I have a feeling that the property has seen better days, since the towels/washcloths were starting to get a little threadbare, and one of the bedside lamps was broken (the stand). The room was very clean, however, What stood out was the staff, especially Julie, the front desk clerk in the afternoons/evenings. She was pleasant, informative and helpful. Breakfast was included in the rate we chose, which was very reasonable. As I mentioned in my other reviews of our lodgings in Ireland, the choices were more than adequate, so you could eat as little or as much as you liked. Parking was free, which was an added bonus. We had two really good dinners in Galway's City Centre - Oscar's (outstanding fresh fish choices), and Rouge (nice French prix fixe meals), with a parking lot very closeby. If you don't want to stay in the "noisy" center of town, choose Westwood House. It's not a b&b, however, it's very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear paulainsd,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

The bedside lamp which you mentioned has since been replaced, and we are currently in the process of upgrading all our bathroom towels, linen etc.

Your comments regarding our location and staff, in particular Julie are very positive indeed and I have passed them on to Julie and the rest of the team. I was delighted to read how you enjoyed your overall experience in Galway, and, should you choose to return, we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Westwood.

Chicago
Reviewed October 14, 2013

this was the 4th hotel we stayed at on our tour of Ireland. this is the only one that was not close to city center (in this case Galway). It was a short cab ride away. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel bar was very nostalgic looking. Our tour hotels provided in most cases breakfast and sometimes dinner. The Westwood provided both in a private room. They had plenty of polite servers and the food was good, BUT they rushed us meals and were constantly cleaning up when were were not done eating. Did not provide a second cup of coffee and as I said before cleanup tables including the buffet table before we were finished. They spoiled the whole efect for alot of us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear harborctylover,

Thank you for your review of The Westwood. I was dissapointed to read that you did not rate your stay with us as highly as the other properties you visited when in Ireland. I note that you did like our rooms and beds and that you found our servers polite and the food good. We certainly would not have meant to rush you through any meal we served and I will ask the dining team to be more aware of same for the remainder of the season. Again many thanks for your review.

Kind regards
Cork
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed in Westwood House Hotel on a recent business trip to Galway and I was really impressed with my stay. The hotel is spotless and has a homely feeling to it. It also has free and ample parking - which is an added bonus as the hotel is close to the City Centre.
The staff were welcoming and friendly. I arrived late in the evening and I think that I must have been half asleep or else I was experiencing in a blonde moment but I couldn't figure out how to work the ironing board (I didn't read the instructions properly!). In any case, the minute that I rang reception to say that I couldn't figure it out, they sent somebody up to me to show me how it worked. Nothing was a problem. The breakfast menu was very varied and I opted for the porridge and Full Irish - it was an excellent choice. I only stayed for one night as it was a business trip but I would like to try it for a leisure break the next time as it seems like a good base for exploring the greater Galway area.

Dear eimzom,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here with us at The Westwood.

I was delighted to read how you found our location and parking helpfull, and how our staff were quick to help with the 'ironing board issue'. Your comments in relation to our food, in particular our breakfast, are very complimentary and I have passed them on to all the team in the kitchen.

Should you choose to return to Galway, either on business or for leisure, I can assure you of the same quality of service and attention.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
The Twelve Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
The Connacht Hotel
The Connacht Hotel
#21 of 45 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!