“just a hotel, and not a great one at that!”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Of the 5 places we stayed this was the most disappointing. We had prepaid for a superior room with a fireplace. Had the confirmation etc. When we arrived we were given a ok room that showed a little bit of wear (see photos) paint peeling and a/c heat unit rattling when on. The first tip off should have been the food service trays and piles of dirty linens left in the hall at the time of our arrival (5pm) see the attached photos. Tired after a long day at the Cliffs of Moher and driving we didn't complain (maybe we should have).

After we went out to dinner we arrived back at the Hotel about 930 pm only to find absolutely no parking. We had to go to the front desk and they had some staff move their cars so we could park. Tired we went to bed... only to be woken up by the bar directly below our room. Got to our room and started to relax and get ready for a nice nights sleep only to have the music start in the bar (directly below our room).. this continued for about 4 hours and made it almost impossible to sleep. Be careful if you wish to get to sleep before midnight DO NOT book a room directly above the bar!

When morning did arrive breakfast was fair, but not up to what we had experienced in our many stays in b&b’s throughout Ireland.

Now to give it all a fair shake we did arrive on a Sunday night of a bank holiday weekend, so I am sure that played into the situation. But overall I probably could have ranked our stay a 2 star, but I will give Westwood the benefit of the doubt. Sadly the hotel looked to me to be in need of some TLC and a bit of management intervention and training.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms above the bar unless you like music until a late hour.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Travelcarr,

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing The Westwood as your accommodation of choice upon your recent visit to Galway City.

I would like to apologise that you found trays in the corridor upon your arrival. Our accommodation staff who finish @ circa 6.00pm would have attended to these before their departure.

We are a busy hotel and at times of peak occupancy (as was the case during your stay) carparking can be an issue. I was glad to read however that one our staff accommodated you by moving their own vehicle and apologise that this had to be the case.

We are graded 4* and our management team I can assure is a proactive one which I believe is borne out by the countless positive reviews on forums such as these and the fact that each and every one is answered to the best of our ability.

We would love the opportunity to have your opinion of us improved at some future point and with this is in mind please feel free to contact me directly when next visiting Galway City and I will be happy to look after your reservation and stay personally.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the "Westwood" last night. We got a fantastic offer through Dealrush. If that wasn't enough when we arrived we were upgraded to a Bridal Suite, at no extra charge. Everything was top class, if there was a 10 star this would be the hotel. The food was so tasty and well presented. The main reception had a roasting hot fire on, which was so welcoming away from the cold and wet outside. Staff were extremely frienly and very efficient reception staff. We will definitely go back again for another stay, even though we only live 25 miles from this hotel, I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

I would also like to add upon reading a review from a customer labelling this hotel as Faulty Towers. I know people at times percieve situations differently to others. Her review actually annoyed me because although some of those things she mentioned were true others couldn't have been further from the truth. Of course she ommitted receiving the cinema tickets and mac donalds vouchers and the 10% discount PER ROOM as a gesture of good will. Anyway it will have no bearing on my opinion of this hotel and recommending it to friends and family in the future. Thanks so much again for a TOP CLASS stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dustys-trail
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear dustys-trals,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts of your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure to be able to upgrade your room. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here with us and will be sure to pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Regis and I got married in the Westwood House hotel on the 25th of August this year. I cannot praise Therese and her team highly enough for everything they did to make our day so so special. From the minute we sat down to discuss our wishes with Therese we knew we would be looking no further. Absolutely everything we requested was done with ease and efficency. The room was just stunning and the food was exceptional. All our guests were blown away by the standard of the food and the excellent service. I cannot thank the Westwood enough for all the amazing memories we now have and I just wish I could do it all again....with the same man obviously!!!! Good luck any to future Westwood brides.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Karen M,

Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to look after you both and all your invited guests. Your comments are most kind and I will ensure that all the staff here are aware of them. It is they that are the engine that drive the business. Thanks again and many years of happiness to both of you.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Have stayed in many hotels in Galway over the years, but this has probably jumped to the top of the list. Myself and the girlfriend were going to the Comedy Festival, and having booked tickets only a week or so before the event, accommodation options were thinner than usual. Having priced up a few options we went for the Westwood for Friday and Saturday......and were so impressed, organised a third night while there.

It's outside the city alright, but so many good Galway hotels are. Taxi to the city was around €7-8. There was a wedding on each of the 3 nights, but that didn't really affect us. The hotel has a lot more character than other hotels we've stayed in, and the room was in fantastic condition. The receptionists were a pleasure to deal with too, any time we had to contact them. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Johnfitz7,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here with us and will be sure to pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We started planning our wedding under unusual circumstances, in that we were in France and planned on getting married in Ireland. From the moment my Parents' and Aunt visited the Westwood, it was the outright winner of all the hotels visited. The intimate and flexible layout of the room with the big bar and couches was ideal for our wedding party.

However, it is the hotel staff that deserve all the credit here and made the day what it was; A perfect wedding! As a Hotel & Catering graduate myself, I had very high standards and expectations. As it was to be a French/Irish wedding, we were looking to wow the French party and Irish guests alike. David (General Manager) helped us so much with visualising how things would go on the day and with the time-line. When we arrived to visit the location shortly before the wedding, it was the first time that the groom,and I were seeing the hotel. We really felt that he was on top of things and gave me such a sense of reassurance that it would all go to plan.

Therese (Deputy General Manager) was there for me for every single email, query and issue I raised and always with a timely response. She helped organise the menu and the service she provided was second to none. I was really looking forward to seeing her in action on the day and seeing the final product of what we had worked towards in the months leading up to the wedding. However, she became ill just before the wedding and was unable to work.

It is a credit to David, how well the hotel staff handled Therese's absence while he was on holidays. I arrived at the hotel two days before the wedding for my meeting with Therese to go through all the final details and drop off some decorations for the room. I was met by Peter (Duty Manager) (who hadn't even had a chance to change out of his civil clothing after being called in last minute to replace Therese) who informed me that Therese had been taken to hospital but not to worry, as he was taking over the wedding and everything would be fine.

I was very worried and apprehensive as Therese and I had gone through a lot of details via email and I was afraid all or some would fall through the cracks and my dream day would not be as I'd hoped. I need not have worried though as Peter poured over all the emails between Therese and I and even contacted me the evening before the wedding to go through the final details and to reassure me that all would be fine.

Dagmara (Front Office Manager) was an absolute saint too in that she knew exactly what I was talking about when I was checking in the French party the day before the wedding with regards to room allocations and payments. She was so on top of everything and had every detail we talked about by email organised to perfection. She was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

On the day of the wedding Peter let me have a quick look at the room when it was set up to make sure all was in order. We did a last minute change to the top table layout and the rest was perfect. There are so many things that you cannot control on your wedding day and it was so comforting to have Peter there to keep me up to date on everything. It all just went so smoothly, even if we ran way over time! Peter assured me that we were not the worst time keepers you had seen and even suggested the Irish Dancers go on first so that they could go home rather than having to wait for the break of the band.

Donna (front desk) was such a pleasure to deal with every time I called with a query in the run up to the wedding and she was the friendly face who greeted us arriving at the hotel on the wedding day. She was also always on hand in the room to deal with everything we needed.

The serving staff and kitchen staff did a fantastic job. Several guests commented on how great the service was and how their glass was constantly full, which is what we wanted!

Everyone also commented on how delicious the food was. The chef took a lot of time to help me design the perfect menu for our wedding and the perfect vegetarian dish for me. It was absolutely delicious. The food was such an important part of the day for us and we didn't want the standard middle of the road meal that is usually served at weddings, so we were genuinely thrilled with the quality of the food and the guests are still commenting on how wonderful it was!

The hotel went above and beyond too with the additional touches. In particular, when the French party were arriving late the night before the wedding (too late for dinner in the restaurant) the staff provided them with sandwiches and drinks in the lobby. A small gesture that was hugely appreciated by all who'd had a long day travelling with small children from France.

When I think of all the things that could have gone wrong with our wedding reception its frightening, but its success all comes down to the hard work and professionalism of Westwood team.

Michelle & Jean-Michel Cancet
14th July 2012 Wedding

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear MCancet,

Many many thanks for your fantastic review of The Westwood.

As you are aware, weddings are a very important part of our business here in the hotel. I was therefore, delighted to read such a comprehensive and complimentary review of your big day here with us.

You and your invited guests were indeed a pleasure to look after on the day. Therese, who I'm delighted to say has made a full recovery from her illness, and the rest of the team whoam you mentioned, Dagmara, Donna, our Chef, myself, and in particular Peter, were all more than happy to be part of what was a fantastic day.

I have passed on your comments to all the above mentioned, and we all look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Wishing ye both all the very best of health and happeness.

Kind Regards,

David Kelly
General Manager.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here with my Girlfriend early in November, we were attending a wedding and decided to make the weekend of it. We got a good deal on 2 Nights Bed & Breakfast with One Evening meal, so we stayed on Friday and Saturday Night with the Wedding on the Saturday. I have to say this was one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed in. On arrival we were greeted very warmly at reception, which was very nicely "Halloween" decorated. Our room was on the 1st floor and only took a second to get to after getting out of the lift. The room itself was very spacious, very clean, nicely furnished and very well kept. The bathroom was also very clean well looked after and well stocked with supplies such as towels, soaps, shampoo's etc, everything you might expect or need. As part of the package we had booked our evening meal on the evening of our arrival. The Menu was excellent with a very large choice and something to cater for every taste. While the dining room was quite small, it was very warm and homely and has a nice atmosphere. The the best part of the dinner was the presentation, in any hotel i have ever been in, presentation had never come close, but not only was the presentation wonderful the portions were more than generous, and in fact i could not finish my main course, although had to save some room for desert. Our Waitress was very chatty and polite and the service was prompt and all courses came quite quickly. After finishing our dinner, we had a couple of drinks the bar was was a nice size with lots of seating. Again this part of the hotel was also very warm and homely and the atmosphere was great. To really have a "hotel" experience we had breakfast in the room on Saturday morning, it was booked for 9:30 and sure enough bang on 9:30 the try arrived with very generous portions of everything. The Wedding itself was also very enjoyable, again with excellent service, great food and plenty of it. There is literally nothing negative i can say about this hotel and our stay here, it was very enjoyable from start to finish, i will definitely be back and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Top Class, Hotel, excellent Food, comfortable accommodation, and nice friendly staff, everything you want in a weekend away!!

Room Tip: 1st Floor - Rooms 112-116 are very close to the lift!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Dfinnerty,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. You give us high praise indeed and I will be sure to pass on your comments in relation to the food offering in particular to the team in the kitchen - they work hard and often without as much recognition as their front of house colleagues so I will be only too glad to let them know of your views. Thank you again for taking the time to write - we do appreciate it.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is not a four star hotel , maybe it was once upon a time. Our rooms weren't ready when we arrrived at 2.30, I had spoken to a receptionist the previous day requesting that our rooms be ready on time, if not earlier. We got into our room at 3.30 (we had our two children under two with us), my parents both over 70 got the keys to there room at 4! This is ridiculous considering we were only staying for 2 nights. I asked was there anything Halloweenie on for children, as I was led to believe from their advertising that they would have something on, I was answered with 'i.m not sure, we.ll have to wait and see', needless to say, there wasn.t. They had an unsupervised childrens' play room which consisted of a few toys thrown around and a couple of toys with no batteries. You had to go through the downstairs bar, up two flights of stairs and through the upstairs bar to get to the room! On our way down to dinner at 6 that evening, the hallway from our room to the lift was cluttered with, empty glasses, wine bottles, old breakfast trays, used cups, bed linen, towels (these looked clean) etc. hardly 4 star and a complete hazard with our 2 infants and elderly parents. My mother was charged for 2 glasses of wine, when she ordered one, (they refunded when she pointed it out) and got a pint instead of glass of guinness , (they charged for glass when pointed out) . The room keys constantly didn.t worked, I was told something about them not working if you have them near your mobile phone?go figure? Never happened in the 100s of other hotels I have stayed in. I did complain in the hotel and got a lot of head nodding and shock and disbelief (never happened before etc. )We were offered a round of free drinks (the round was 3 drinks) and we got a 10% discount off our bill (they give 10% to all return customers anyway). I have never been so disappointed with a break away, while nothing catastrophic occured the overall experience was deflating to say the least. I was the most disappointed on behalf of my children, who had to go to a different hotel on halloween night for some fancy dress and atmosphere. p.s. A maintence guy burst into our room in the morning and then shouted 'wrong room' and ran out, and there was no toilet paper in any of the ladies downstairs toilets in the hotel (don.t know about the mens) . Apart from all that it was grand!

• Stayed: November 2012
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Applejones,

Thank you for your review. Please allow me to address each point you raise in turn:

Check In
Your party of 3 rooms has specific requests in relation to your accommodation with us i.e. a set of interconnecting rooms. Any hotel, as ours, will only have set number of interconnecting rooms and a request that they are to be ready when you arrive at your specified time (or earlier in your own words) , whilst always trying to be acted upon, will not always be met. Particularly during a time of peak occupancy which you might reasonably expect mid-term to be.

Halloween Activities
The advertising of which you speak relates to our family packages which you chose not to book for your stay.

Playroom
Our playroom is advertised as non-supervised and includes a wii, playstation as well as many other items of general play.

Cluttered Hallways
I apologise that the corridors were not cleared on one evening of your stay. This, I agree, is not to our standard whether at full occupancy or not. The same apology applies to the issue encountered with the ladies toilet facilities.

Bar Orders
I apologise if you feel that the mix up in two items on your bar order was our barman's fault. Indeed you were charged for the glass rather the pint of Guinness, refunded for the wine and bought a complimentary round of drinks by my Deputy General Manager.

Room Keys
The room keys operate via a magnetic strip which can yes, be effected by situating them close to a mobile phones battery. The other 100's of hotels that you have stayed in may have operated with a chip card perhaps.

Recompense Offered
The "shock and disbelief" as you made your complaints known was genuine I can assure you - a fact I believe is borne out by the hundreds of other positive reviews about our property. The 10% discount was applied to all of the rooms in your party as opposed to just your own and the 10% discount that we offer to return guests as a matter of course, is still available to you. I believe you were also offered and received cinema and McDonalds vouchers for your two chidren (items that were included in our Family Halloween Package referred to above)

I apologise if our maintenance man interrupted you - it is policy that he knocks and announces himself before entering - perhaps you did not hear him or were in the 2nd of the adjoining rooms at the time.

Finally I can confirm that we never advertised anything in relation to fancy dress etc on Halloween night and therefore I am unsure where you would have gotten this impression.

Again many thanks for your review. I have acted to tighten up on the bar, toilet & corridor issues that you brought to our attention.

Your sincerely,
Dave Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Maldron Hotel Galway
#21 of 46 in Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
#11 of 46 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!