“Great luxury getaway in tantalizing Tuscany.”

Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel deserves every accolade it gets. The location is unforgettable. Located near the town of Barga in Northern Tuscany, you cannot hope to get a better country hotel location anywhere in the world. The rooms are spacious, clean newly decorated and a great place to be. The staff are friendly, well trained and immediately connect with the guests. The spa is simply out of this world. The food is great and the breakfast in particular is fantastic. I wanted to stay here for much longer than I booked, such is the magnetism of the location and the amenities dished up to travelers. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Choose a view over the valley. Its quiet with a landscape that you will never forget.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PoolboyVietnam

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you read many of my reviews, you know that I don't hold anything back as a road warrior. On my honeymoon, I selected this hotel in Italy on a whim. We reserved two nights and opted for a third night because it was so amazingly relaxing here. The staff was top-notch. And, we found it a good place to transition from business obligations back home to our long honeymoon.

We were met by an amazing front staff, who after days of hunting down an adapter, had one for us. I can't tell you how thankful we were for this little plug. We had gone to Italy's version of Best Buy and WalMart, both, which had entire walls of adapters and not one version that would take those US plugs where one side is slightly bigger. Thank you Renaissance for helping us!

Also, because we had changed our plans, we needed to cancel our trip with a non-Marriott property in Verona. We were in an odd situation where the cancellation at the Verona property was midnight and cancelled slightly after and were looking at a big fee. We realized we were having a bit of a translation issue. (Don't look to Expedia to be much help internationally.) The amazing front desk lady understood our issue, picked up the phone and sorted everything out so we could stay another day with this property. She was top notch the entire stay!

The bar staff was also top notch. The main bartender was lovely and so kind each night. We were still getting adjusted to the European timing. She helped us get some food at odd hours each night and was so pleasant.

What keeps it from the 5 star? It appears the property is going through some remodeling, which means some of the ammenities are being reworked. The rooms on the back part look completely different than the wonderful experience we were able to enjoy. I would think if I didn't get a room in the main buidling my review would be different.

It was pretty quiet in terms of things to do, which I'd like to see the property up a bit. Since they are in Tuscany, I would think wine tastings at the hotel or pairing dinners would be fun, ways to encourage socialization like a wine hour before dinner, or some cooking class. They do plan a few outings during the week, but using this property for more events would be a nice add.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but it didn't seem there was a lot to do around the hotel but I know some people enjoy using it as a home base to visit Bologna and Florence. However, my advice is to use this as a nice getaway for 2 days, visit the nearby Barga area, and then head on to Florence, which deserves a night in itself.

The positives are a romantic balcony, a great staff, and the best bathrooms in Italy (trust me, bathrooms became an obsession of mine in Europe). I would love to visit this place on my anniversary! Definitely a winning property for the Marriott Group.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room overlooking the pool. It includes a sleeping and a sitting area. Very ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adgrad
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night before going to Lucca and Monterosso and were thrilled with the whole experience. First, the staff was so welcoming to us. Also, the rooms were fantastic! We had 2 right next to each other - they were large and opened on to a huge terrace overlooking the mountains and the valley. Just gorgeous. The breakfast the next day was fantastic - lots of choices, and we could sit inside or on the terrace watching the morning views. I am a Marriott Gold member, and this was certainly the nicest Renaissance hotel I've stayed in, but it might just be the nicest Marriott I've stayed in. I would love to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

saw some rooms in the main hotel, they look charming. the modern rooms in back are boring, small, and functional, the balcony views of the road are not inspiring. no A/C yet in june and the rooms were hot, so you need to have faith that noone is going to scale your balcony and leave the doors open or you will roast. i was hopeful the hotel remote location would offer great hiking trails or access to nature, but not so much. the outdoor pool is on display to everyone at the restaurant and the water is freezing, so it is not a good place to hangout either. the fitness center is a huge space but has only 1 type of each machine and was as hot as a sauna, indoor pool is hot and super chemically. this place is fine as a GRC/conference site but stay away from this place if you are expecting an actual resort, it is really nowhere with nothing to do. the food is plentiful and good, but nothing special.

Room Tip: front of hotel, ask for a balcony with a view and not on ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am here for a conference and enjoying my visit a lot. Pros: so beautiful, with a lovely terrace that looks over the valley. My room is gorgeous with lots of space and a modern design. the service is excellent - polite, friendly - and the food has been very good. morning we have rolls with ham or salami, good coffee, pastries, yogurt. there is also hot food - eggs, sausages, bacon, but I haven't tried any of it. Beautiful pool, all in all it is lovely. There are two down sides, which is why I rated it a 4. For a tourist, it's a little far away from everything - a long walk to Barga, and longer drive to Lucca and an hour to Pisa. The remoteness is great for a conference site, but the downside for a conference is the auditorium. It has terrible acoustics, it's often hard to hear the speaker (especially if they speak fast and/or are foreign) and impossible to hear questions. In addition, the slides often looked washed out because of too much light at the front. Shafts of light also filtered down onto the audience, and this could be really disturbing. they should try to improve the auditorium - and then this place would be perfect.

Room Tip: room 11: wonderful. close to the patio and a beautiful view. lots of space.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SEM02139
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My sister and I felt like relatives arriving at a family home as soon as we checked in! We were on a 2 week trip through Italy, to celebrate a milestone birthday, and this was a perfect stop. (Which, by the way, we ended up extending from 2 days to 4! ) From Antonia, Daniella & Maria at the front desk; to Massimo at the bar; Lorenzo, Dennis & Emmanuele in the restaurants; and the GM, George M, we were welcomed with open arms and made to feel "at home" during our entire stay. I can't wait to go back this summer with my husband and grown children.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Il Ciocco Renaissance June 2013. The Hotel/Resort was an incredible gem. Close to Barga and Lucca, about 1 hour from Pisa, the Il Ciocco sits high about the valley with sweeping views and lofty sights. We stayed for a conference and the conference center was well equipped, comfortable and well serviced.

I can say, unlike other reviews, we enjoyed the food, both in the restaurant and for the conference meals in the lower level restaurant. The combination

The staff were attentive and helpful. The bar was good. We enjoyed the pool area and the terrace for meals. The views were to die for.

The location worked well for us in the conference and for afternoon trips to the area, Pisa and Firenze. It is a little hard to get around this area at 4 pm along SP 20 and 445. The mountain location was excellent for hikes and hardy walks to Barga.

Lastly, we had a room in the little out building across from the front of the hotel ( room 12). The views from the terrace again were spectacular. The room was redone very recently and the furnishings and layout were great. Very comfortable, almost "normal size" and the furnishings appeared new. Air conditioning worked well.

I will return to this Hotel for business and personal travel.

Room Tip: The out buildings "polka dot" rooms were great. DO not stay in the room on the parking de...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel Columbia Wellness & SPA
Hotel Columbia Wellness & SPA
#6 of 107 in Montecatini Terme
Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte

Been to Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!