“Treat yourself”

Jackson Hole Shooting Experience
Ranked #1 of 10 Fun & Games in Jackson Hole
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We offer year-round outdoor premier luxury shooting instruction and experiences for both novice & experienced shooters by appointment. We have rifles, pistols, shotguns and archery and provide all of the needed safety equipment and ammunition along with a world class instruction!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Jackson, Wyoming
“Treat yourself”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I live in Jackson and have been to our local shooting range on multiple occasions. The two hour lesson I had with Shepard of JH Shooting Experience, however, was far and away the most fun I have ever had there. Shepard was safety-conscious, supportive, instructive, professional and good-humored. He gave me a lot of valuable tips to improve my shooting and my comfort level with my rifle. My lesson far exceeded my expectations! I wish I had done this years ago and will most definitely treat myself to another lesson with Shepard. You should treat yourself, too!

Visited November 2012
ShootInJH, Owner at Jackson Hole Shooting Experience, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thanks for coming out to shoot! I am especially honored that you were referred by author Ted Kerasote, and am pleased that you found the experience to be beneficial. You were a pleasure to shoot with and I applaud you for making real effort to improve your skills and as a result be a more responsible hunter! I am always saddened when I see someone sit at a nice shooting bench and make 2 out of three shots at 200 yards and proclaim, "Good enough." You on the other hand practice in different positions, under stress etc ... and are much better prepared! Way to go!

Bainbridge Island, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just plain fun for our whole family!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had an amazing time. The "we" is me, my wife, and two sons. The instruction is great. Incredibly well thought out to build confidence and ability. Everything was positive and frankly the color commentary was so funny it was made everyone at ease. The hardware we got to use was a once in a lifetime array of historically significant firearms to the latest and greatest o today. I cannot rate this high enough. We have had an awesome time in the Jackson area but this is the cherry on the sundae.

Thanks SO much for coming out and playing in the cold with us! It was wonderful to see each of you progress in your skills and I look forward to shooting with you all again on your next trip out to Jackson Hole!
boston
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“shooting at jackson hole”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had a great time shooting with Colt. He was a had a great fund of knowledge and very humble about his accomplishments. My wife who had never picked up a gun shot a target from 600 yards away. I was literally "blown away". Will return again when we are in the area.

Visited September 2012
ShootInJH, Owner at Jackson Hole Shooting Experience, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am so glad that you got to enjoy Colt. Having a former state champion shooter to privately introduce you to the joys of shooting makes for a great day! While he at first appears to be such a large muscular man, almost like one that would belong in a 1950's cigarette commercial, his western drawl and kind smile certainly do make one feel relaxed and special. I am sorry about the episode you saw a few shooting benches away and am glad that you and Colt handled it as you did ...

Thanks for sending us the pictures, I forwarded them to Colt, whom also sends his thanks!

Please come visit us again! :)
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“More fun than it has any right to be”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Never fired a weapon before, coming from the New York area, so it was with a mix of trepidation and adventure that I signed up for a shooting experience. Rest assured, you will be in good hands. Shephard is the ideal instructor for the first timer. You are given clear instructions with safety always in mind and a dose of good humor that sets you at ease. With that in mind: expect to feel unmitigated joy as you slam the next clip in, squeeze the trigger, and hear the "ping" against the target.

1 Thank Ubiquitouswaste
Living in New York makes it a challenge to enjoy sport shooting, and I am glad you had the opportunity to visit us and that I was able to offer the introduction. It really is fun to shoot at reactive targets, isn't it?! The instant gratification that acknowledges a well placed shot is very rewarding. Thanks for being fun to shoot with! :)

We look forward to shooting with you when you next visit the Tetons, and if you decide to start buying guns of your own and want any advice, just shoot an email to me!
Waterloo
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Shoot the 50 Cal! (highly recommend this experience)”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I happened to stumble upon this at the adventure center. I've shot a couple of guns before in my life but what drew me to do this was the larger caliber guns that are hard to come by up here in Canada. I was a bit leery over the initial price but I'm so glad I did it. Its well worth the money.

I had an awesome time doing this, ended up having the instructor all to myself and the knowledge mixed with fun was a great balance. Shepherd would drop knowledge on at the right times to keep you engaged and having fun. Everything was interesting. I really enjoyed the different situations that he would provide you like timed shooting (which I pulled off a nice 1.9s woot!), challenging you to try new things like double and triple tapping targets as well as trying to distract you at times while you are shooting to teach you that things aren't always calm when you need to make a shot. ha.

Now, the absolute highlight for me was the 50 Caliber Bushmaster sniper rifle. I'm so glad that I happened to ask:
"have you shot a 50 cal before"
"do you have one"
"yes"
"OH. Um.... Can I shoot it?"
"yes"

SWEET! $25/shot is cool. I only did one, but so glad I did, the highlight of the whole thing for me.

I kept a number of the bullet casings and am planning on framing them with a number of the pictures my wife took while I did this. This was a great experience I'll always remember (and really made me want to start to collect my own guns even more).

The only thing that I wish it had was a few more rounds of the higher caliber guns. You only had 1 - 3 bullets of each of the higher caliber guns. I'm sure this is to help with cost, but it would have been really great to at least be able to pick one of the higher caliber guns to shoot a few more bullets from.

Regardless of that I highly recommend this, it's a lot of fun and Shepherd is a great guy. Having him get excited with you when you hit a target at range (like the 300 yard target using the 22 with red dot scope, which we said was really stretching it. ha.). Anyways, seeing him get excited about a shot alongside you really added to the enjoyment of it all.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank OakRunner
What frustrated me was that a man with so much less experience than me actually hit the 300 yard with the 10-22 rifle. Really? How does that make me feel? lol

You guys were a blast to hang out with, thanks so much for coming out to shoot.

Thanks for your feedback about additional larger caliber shots, we have been discussing offering an upgrade option to the package wherein you could shoot a full magazine through each of the larger caliber guns... or perhaps 5 or 10 shots each... I think that is a good idea, thanks for mentioning it!

i look forward to your return & we will shoot even more!!! :)