other travelers have booked this property
View of Deck
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Average
View of Deck
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
jazcastro
San Jose, California
“Great location but house is filthy and poorly managed”
Reviewed July 24, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

I really do not like to give bad reviews but there was so much wrong with this rental, I have to take the time to detail it all in hopes it will help the owners improve for future renters.
Below is our experience, in order of incident…

1.) Rate increase after booking:
The house was listed at $450/night. When I sent the booking request, it was based on this rate, but when the owner confirmed (a day later), the rate increased to $650/night. I didn't bother to challenge it, as I didn't have the time and just needed to confirm the trip, but the lack of professionalism definitely concerned me.

2.) Rental Agreement:
After paying the rental fee and confirming the booking, I had to chase the owner down for a copy of the rental agreement. They finally responded the next day and seemed put out by the request. Again, I’m concerned as you should be able to review the agreement/terms prior to booking.

3.) House not ready at check-in:
Check-in time was 3pm. We arrived promptly at 3pm, ready to get settled in. When we arrived, the cleaning crew was still working on the house. They didn’t “finish” (will explain in next bullet) until 4pm. It was impossible to load in during this time, so we had to sit around for an hour and wait for them to leave. I called Pat, the owner to let her know the house wasn’t ready. She begrudgingly apologized after speaking with me a few minutes, apparently just to get me off the phone, but not before she told me to stay out of the cleaning crew’s way, so they can “do their job”.

4.) House was filthy:
We started our vacation cleaning the house. Yes, cleaning the house, after the cleaning crew left. The cleaning crew basically changed bed linens and mopped the kitchen floor. This is a pet friendly home, which was one of the reasons we chose to stay here. The living room area rugs were covered in dog hair. We asked the cleaning ladies if they were going to vacuum and they actually said, “No” they were not. Additionally, there was food left in the fridge. Not sure how long some of these condiments have been in the fridge as most were expired. We threw them out.

Kitchen back splash behind the stove and teapot on the stove had grease and dust stuck to it. Area behind the sink was also dirty. We had to wipe the kitchen down ourselves.

The floors in the bathrooms had dust bunnies and hair behind the doors. We had to sweep those floors ourselves.

There was dust everywhere! The house is filled with stuffed animals in almost every room, each with a good layer of dust on them. A few of us had trouble sleeping the first few nights due to an allergic reaction which seemed to subside by the last night. I attribute this to the dust.

The back yard porch was covered in dog hair. My father spent (his 60th birthday celebration) making several trips to the garbage, sweeping dog hair into a dust pan and throwing it away so we can sit outside and relax.

5.) Dog feces littered back yard:
The lawn in the back yard had FOUR, count them, FOUR large piles of dog feces on it. There were other smaller piles off to the side that we didn’t bother with. Being a dog owner, I have zero tolerance for this. We have two, 10lb dogs and we pick up their waste no matter where we are, but it seems especially important when you’re staying at someone else’s home. This really ruined it for me. I called the owner to let her know about it and she was completely uninterested in this news. I don’t think it surprised her. I was not rude about it. Though I was disgusted, I didn’t blame her and I assumed she would be mortified by it. I was wrong. She didn’t offer to make a single concession – but she did tell me where the “pooper-scooper” was in the garage so I can pick it up.

6.) Weird hot tub sign:
The hot tub has a sign on it asking visitors to “shower before using the hot tub”. What kind of people are renting this house that you have to hang this sign?? The same that left a steaming pile of poop on the lawn, I guess.

7.) House woken up at 7am by owners calling, troubleshooting call-forwarding error:
Our first morning in the house, we’re awaken at 7am by the home phone ringing off the hook. There are 4 phones in the house – 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. 3 of the 4 are in bedrooms. The phone ringing started at 7am and continued every 5 minutes until we finally answered it. It was the owners. They explain they have accidentally forwarded their calls to the house and cannot figure out how turn it off. They ask me to turn off the answering machine to see if it fixes the problem. I do this and the calls continued until about 11am, or at least that is when we turned all the ringers off. I’m not sure when they actually stopped calling. With 4 phones ringing throughout the house at 7am, it was not a great start to the day.

We’re frequent VRBO patrons and haven’t had any problems with a vacation rental. This is our first Flip Key rental and not sure if that has anything to do with the quality of the rental or if it's an anomaly.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location
Liked least: cleanliness
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Jul 26, 2015
We must respond to this review because we make every effort to provide our home to happy & satisfied renters. We take pride in providing a clean & well maintained property. Unfortunately, it did not work out that way this time. We have been renting out this home since 1998 and this is the first time we encountered an unhappy renter.

1. The renter was looking at our spring rates (low off-season rates) and wanted to book in July which is our summer and high season rates. I quoted her the rate for her July dates.These are clearly stated on the FlipKey listing.

2.The rental agreement that we use is the standard rental agreement which is available online and provided by Flipkey. It is available to read prior to booking the home. It can be downloaded & printed. We advise the renters to take it with them so that they can use the community facilities. This is what I sent to the renter prior to check-in...."Please remember to take your rental agreement to access the pools (indoor & outdoor), tennis & boat launch. Passes are available for a small fee at the Homeowners Association at the end of Ala Wai Blvd.".

3. Unfortunately, this was a back to back rental and the previous renters did not vacate the home on time. The housekeepers were not able to get into the home to clean at their usual time of 10 am but rather it was 2 pm before they could start clean up. So the home was not ready at the usual time of 3 pm but rather 4 pm. And because the new renters had already arrived and were anxious to get in and unpack, the housekeeper did a shortened cleaning of the home. All the linens were changed - new sheets & towels. The 4 bathrooms and kitchen were cleaned. All dishes, pots, pans, glassware & silverware were washed and put away. And the home was vacuumed, the floors were swept and everything was briefly dusted.

4. This is a pet friendly home & the previous renters did have 2 dogs. Our pet policy specifically states that you must clean up pet waste & hair or you will be charged an additional fee. The previous renters said that they would comply with the rules but apparently they did not do so. Hence the pet waste in the yard & dog hair on the patio. We trust renters to comply and so I had not arranged for the outside area to be cleaned. Had I known, I would have called the appropriate person to clean up the outside mess.

5. AT&T had crossed our phone lines and had forwarded our phone to the rental home. I was unable to cancel the forwarding. They were out the next day & spent 4 hours at the central station to undue the problem. It has now been corrected and was totally out of my control. The constant calls that the renters were receiving were not from me but from AT&T as they tried to rectify the problem.

I'm sorry that the rental did not meet your expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you & your family. We tried to address all your complaints in a timely manner. We understand the frustration and want to assure you that this was a truly unusual set of circumstances.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing