“Not enough words...”

Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Santa Rosa, CA
“Not enough words...”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had the privilege of staying at The Landing on May 2nd. Upon checking in, our car was safely parked by the valet. We were then greeted by the manager of valet and front desk services. He offered us a glass of champagne or a bottle of water and from there, Zach, escorted us to our room. He was very personable and came into the room to explain how all the amenities worked. Our room was truly spectacular!!! Located on the third floor, with a balcony and a postcard perfect view of Lake Tahoe! The room amenities were the best! Heated tile floors, heated toilet seat and a light in the toilet bowl so you did not have to turn the light on at night. There was also an air-vented tub which was a completely different feeling than a Jacuzzi tub. Soooo relaxing and then followed up by a steam in the contained steam shower and a rinse off with the rain shower head and then to dry off with a fluffy towel fresh off the heated towel rack. The hotel also uses only high end products by L"Occitane. The bed was absolutely beyond comfortable. When we got up in the morning, we put on the soft, cozy robes and slippers provided for us and each enjoyed a great cup of Keurig coffee while once again enjoying the glass smooth beauty of the lake. It was bittersweet to have to check out...but all good things must come to an end. Hoping to return soon. If you have the chance to stay at this resort, don't miss it. The best place we have stayed in our 37 years of marriage. Kudos to the staff at The Landing for a job well done...above and beyond.

1 Thank empalmer52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed May 13, 2014

There are some truly spectacular things about this hotel. Among them are the location, which is right by the beach,… And the rooms are out of this world! Loved the fireplace, decor, heated floor, and Jacuzzi tub. Jimmy's restaurant also is truly excellent, and spotlessly clean :-).

However, there were a couple things that made me give this hotel a lower score than you might expect. Number one is the valet parking, which is a bit of a joke. The drive into the parking lot is actually blocked so you are forced to valet,… Which honest-to-goodness includes having a guy drive your car approximately 30 to 40 feet! I am not joking, see for yourself if you go to this hotel.

The much bigger issue, however, dealt with my feeling patronized by this hotel. I brought my daughter to this hotel has a special daddy daughter night as we drove her to college in Northern California. I sent the hotel three separate emails asking if there was anything special they could do for my daughter (Fruitbasket, chocolates, letter of congratulations, flour, anything at all!) I also asked for the best possible view on the third floor, as the hotel was not crowded at all during this time.

Upon arrival, the people were friendly at check in and offered us water or champagne, as is their normal check-in procedure. However, they read my letters I had been hoping for a surprise for my daughter, and both people that checked me and simply giggled and thought it was cute,… Never offering anything at all! They put us on the third floor, with a view of a bunch of trees and someone's backyard, only able to see a tiny bit of the way through the trees. There were many many many rooms with much better views, so they couldn't even accommodate the one simple request.

Upon arriving in the room, we loved the furnishings and room design,… It is truly spectacular. However, there wasn't even a card wishing my daughter walk from the staff,… They really and genuinely let me down.

The only saving grace were the staff at Jimmy's restaurant, who gave my daughter a five-minute tour of their kitchen and introduced her to their sous chef. This was very much appreciated by both of us, as she is a culinary arts student.

I guess I would stay at this hotel again, even though it is extraordinarily expensive and I felt non important to the people on staff outside of the restaurant folks. Perhaps if you are wealthy and command more affluence than we do,… Maybe they would take your small requests more seriously.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank damon b
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights in The Landing with my husband early May and had a great time! The hotel is very nice and clean and staff very very friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Scott for great service. Our room was very comfortable with a (gas) fire place, comfy bed, bubble bath and separate shower etc.

The hotel has a nice gym with lake views as well as a good steam room and Finnish sauna. They offer complimentary valet service and have a van taking you around town if you need a lift. The only thing I missed was a complimentary breakfast buffet but everything else was great.

It was low season during our visit so we got to enjoy a nice and quiet town. I will definitely stay in The Landing should I visit South Lake Tahoe again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed one night at The Landing this April and it was wonderful. I honestly wish I could just live there, but I surely couldn't afford an apartment that nice with that view. I took full advantage of all the room's amenities even though I was only there for 1 night. I took a whirlpool bath, turned up the heated bathroom floors, and drank my morning Kuerig coffee on my balcony while gazing across the beach at Lake Tahoe. I hope I get to spend more time at The Landing soon and would recommend it to anyone visiting Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 12, 2014

There are a lot of great things about this property: the welcome glass of champagne, chocolates in the lobby, friendly staff, and location right by the lake, to name just a few. However, there are still a few kinks the hotel needs to work out. While the room was clean, housekeeping was rather absent minded. Not only did they not stock any soap in our room (we thought we were expected to wash our hands with shampoo), several other items were missing (room service menus in the binder, decaf coffee pods, etc.). I will say that once I called the front desk, items were quickly brought to us, but it would have been nice not to have the hassle. Also, housekeeping failed to empty the trash and left dirty latex cleaning gloves in the room, and although we requested turndown service, we never received it. Other negatives include the $25 daily resort fee, which was not revealed on our initial confirmation email, only on a follow up email. I called and asked reservations where it was posted on the website, and they couldn't find it, either. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer to know about it up front. The resort fee supposedly covers internet, valet parking, etc. - but in several places on the website, those are characterized as free. Another criticism is of the Premium Lake room, which is what we originally booked. The views were of the parking lot, with a sliver of lake visible only from the part of the balcony. We immediately paid to upgrade to the Premium Lake Front suite, which was MUCH better. The view from the suite was flawless. The room itself was also very nice, with the heated floors, steam shower, heated toilet, and gas fireplace. It was too cold to use the balcony much, but it was spacious and truly lake front. Not much privacy, though, as we could clearly see and hear the folks in the neighboring room each time they were on their balcony. Also, there is a public area used for events right in the middle of the property. They were setting up for an event the day we left, and we would have heard it all night, as it was right outside our window.

The building that housed the Superior Lake rooms seemed to be only walk-up (no elevator) and doors opened to the outside (see photo). If you are mobility impaired or concerned about security, you might want to check with the front desk about this.

The property itself is small, but very tastefully done. Calling it a resort is a bit of a reach. The pool and hot tub are strangely situated at the back of the property in the parking lot - in direct view of the front desk. It seems they could have put it in a nicer spot. We would have felt uncomfortable traipsing through the lobby or parking lot in swimsuits or bathrobes, which is essentially what you have to do to access the pool. The fitness center is small and somewhat limited, but immaculate and with great views of the lake.

The evening wine tasting is nice. The restaurant is very pretty, but a bit pretentious, so we never ate there. (Tip - go to Edgewood's Bar - even better setting with a more relaxed atmosphere!)

The shuttle was prompt and the drivers friendly. The property is about a half mile walk from Heavenly and all of the shops and restaurants, so it's easy to get around on your own. Overall, this was a good experience and I would recommend the hotel.

5 Thank TX_TnE
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 12, 2014

What a beautiful property and wonderful staff. Everybody was very friendly and helpful our entire stay. The rooms are AMAZING and have some nice high end finishes that I haven't seen at any other hotels that I have stayed at (fireplaces in the rooms and heated bathroom floors). Also, the jacuzzi tub with the little windows that open to allow you to watch tv while taking a soak is genius!!! The heated hot tub and pool outside are also wonderful and the background music was fun :) We had a few minor issues with the shuttle and turn down service but based on the rest of the service we received I am sure they will be fixing it ASAP. Can't recommend this place enough and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed at The Landing for two nights. We were greeted immediately upon driving into the driveway. They offer free valet parking which we only used once. You are able to self park as well. Upon arrival we sat at a desk and were offered water or champagne. Of course I had the champagne! We then were escorted to our third floor room. On the way we were shown where everything was.
Entering the room I immediately felt relaxed. We were shown where everything was. The bathroom was amazing. Large shower, jetted tub, double sink, heated toilet seat and heated floors. They offered very nice soaps, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaving kit and sewing kit. A few added goodies as well. The bathrobe and slippers were so nice!
The gas fireplace was very inviting with two comfortable leather chairs in front. The king sized bed was a bit softer than we liked, but we both slept great! The deck was my hang out. We had a view of the lake from the deck. I enjoyed the comfy lounge chairs and had my morning coffee and evening wine outside enjoying the view.
There is a small fridge for your need. The Kureg coffee maker was a very nice amenity. They offered Starbucks coffee and tea for use. It was a great way to start the day!
We did attend the free wine tasting at the bar. The bartender was very knowledgeable of the wines and it was a nice time. I believe you can get just about any kind of alcohol you would want there. We did not eat at the on site restaurant. Maybe next time!
The beach was directly across the street. The weather was perfect. Very windy but not cold.
The pool and the hot tub were open but we did not venture out. I so enjoyed my deck with a view!
Everyone I encountered at The Landing was very helpful. Thank you for the most relaxing weekend I've had in a long time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
#7 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Landing Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!