“Great location...”
Review of Alder Inn

Alder Inn
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This motel has a wonderful location in S. Lake Tahoe. Literally, a 2 block walk to the lake and only a few more blocks away from Heavenly Village. The rooms ARE adorably decorated. The atmosphere is great with the tall pines towering overhead and the cute pine cones filling the planters. Service was not as great. The proprietor was awesome to deal with on the phone; but I didn't ever meet him or his wife. The small motel feel and atmosphere are evident in that the main office is not always staffed; we were a very late arrival due to car trouble (I called to let them know and they were SUPER nice) and so they made arrangements for us to get into our room by leaving a key in a discreet location for us...that was great. We needed pool towels (the pool is super nice, but not quite as enticing as in the photos) but there were never any towels by the pool, but someone (maybe the owner...a cute young fellow) set some out when I told him they were needed. Our in-room experience, besides the really cute decorating, was less than par. Though we weren't terribly uncomfortable due to not A.C., the room did get a little stuffy. We were on the first floor and did leave our window open at night and also the floor fan helped...ceiling fans would probably be the answer to more thoroughly circulate the air. The dust shown big-time on the bathroom mirror frame and the shelving where the towels and glasses are placed; as well as on the mini bedside stand. Even though after 2 days we threw some towels on the bathroom floor to be replaced, the housekeeper did not replace them. Dirty cups and glasses were not cleaned or replaced. Also, our garbage didn't even get emptied one day (and for some reason...we produce a lotta trash). One day, we weren't even sure if housekeeping attempted to make our beds. We always "kinda" make them before we leave, but when we returned the beds sure didn't look any different, except the adorable pillows were "placed" a bit. Granted, we saw the housekeeping girl and she appeared to be about 16 years old and probably didn't really get into the whole "mean on clean" routine a whole lot. But for over $200 (with tax) a night, expectations are higher. Additionally, as others have noted, the coffee isn't replenished after the first day, nor are the super nice toiletries (not that I care about the toiletries...honest...but I do need my coffee). Other similar hotels in the area offer a morning breakfast (anything...just let me throw something in my belly and help me save a $$ or two) for less cost per night. I would have rated the Alder as "Good" but rankings go from Average to Very Good...and I have to say...not quite very good due to the service issues mentioned. I think there's great potential, though.

Room Tip: Room 18 serves a family of 4 very well.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank hinkgen
There are newer reviews for Alder Inn

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Loved the stay and good customer service & everything else went well too.
Thank goodness there's a pool and jacuzzi to relax during the time I went.

Location is decent.. When you drive along to the road there's restaurants, stores etc you can spot to go to.. Close by the Lake Tahoe main beach.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here this past June and we enjoyed the friendly service, and the clean, newly decorated rooms. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit. A memorable moment of our stay is when we asked the owner, "so what's the secret to your success as an inn manager?" to which he replied, "the trick is to be nice to people!". Lol! Great guy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Alder Inn! You can tell that, once upon a time, it was a basic motel, but the new owners are updating and personalizing it, and the result is something unpretentious but comfortable and friendly. I stayed in the Audrey Hepburn room, and loved the way they had picked colors, linens, and artwork that gave the room personality. It is within walking distance of a lot of restaurants, and the lake shore. Spence is super helpful and welcoming. It feels like a genuine family run business.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked our accommodation in Feb 2013 based on all the great reviews on TripAdvisor.
On arrival we were informed that the Inn was under new management after 8 weeks.
The room had character, and was probably the same size & layout as all the other inns in Lake Tahoe. We were here for 3 nights, one day when we came back to the room late afternoon, the room was still not serviced. Toiletries were not replenished so had to use soap sparingly on last day. Would have asked for more, but never saw anyone.
The Inn is in a quiet location, a few minutes walk from the lake.
The shower was a trickle.

Room Tip: We were upstairs at the rear. Since it was really hot, we left the window open at night. The fan tha...
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Good
1. Large, comfortable bed.
2. Very helpful and friendly owners.
3. Great location.
4. Lovely, sunny pool.
5. Very clean

Not so good
1. Shower ran out of hot water each day.
2. Very dark room. Lighting was poor.

2  Thank nzsheryl
Skiruninn, General Manager at Alder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am happy to hear you felt you received a good value as that is a priority of ours. I am so sorry to hear you ran out of hot water. We have not had that complaint yet, and only wish you would have informed us so we could check the water heater for you. Each room is uniquely decorated and I realize some are more well lit than others. I would have also been happy to add more lighting to your room. If you stay with us again, please feel comfortable coming to us at any time with any requests!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

New owner was very friendly and helpful. Refurnished rooms were very clean, and the free WiFi and bike rentals both came in very handy. Quiet as it's off the main road, but still just a short walk to the beach. I also enjoyed the jacuzzi and small pool out front. Recommended.

1  Thank davidhoatson

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us. We truly appreciate the positive feedback and thank you for staying with us during your trip to Tahoe!