Alder Inn
Hotel Azure(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$171
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $190/night.

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$199
$250
$239
Savings alert! 54% below average rates

The price you found is 54% lower than this hotel's average rate of $520/night.

Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$159
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$182
3 Peaks Resort & Beach Club(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$116
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$379
$299
  • Pool
Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$229
Marriott's Timber Lodge(South Lake Tahoe)(Great Value!)
$379
  • Pool
The Landing Resort & Spa(South Lake Tahoe)
$339
Official Website
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $393/night.

All reviewshot tubred hutski runwine glasseskeurig coffee makerping pong tablegreat place to staywithin walking distancewould definitely stay here againquiet locationceiling fanthe main draglocation is greatmini fridgeshort drivebed was very comfortableheavenly ski resort
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My son and his fiance chose a destination wedding in South Lake Tahoe, so we were "forced" to take a vacation in a beautiful place. I scoured various sites, read reviews, had some sticker shock, and was not comfortable with the first few choices I found. Then I discovered the Alder Inn. Great reviews. I did not leave valuables in the room and I think safes would be a great idea. Other than that, we had a beautiful, comfortable room. The bed was superior, and that sold my husband. He enjoyed talking with Chad and Layni. They were always positive and helpful. We had one weekend breakfast there, and there was a nice selection considering they are limited in what they can offer because of some local rules. Hard boiled eggs worked for protein. A nice selection of everything else. Just two short blocks away is a little cafe known for good breakfasts, and it was yummy, too...just what we needed on a Monday morning to start a full day of plane trips. A short 3 blocks away was a great restaurant on the water and we had a lovely meal outside while watching the sun set over Lake Tahoe. Chad gave us a 10% off coupon when I asked for dinner recommendations. Our room had a very comfy chaise lounge which my husband claimed when we got there. He needed some down time and was thrilled to be able to surf the web on his laptop in style. When we were there it was very quiet, even though it was full. My husband has travelled the world, and he was not expecting such a high caliber experience. All of the wedding activities were fairly close, so it was well located for our needs. Some of our family stayed in a "five star casino", and their comments were interesting: dark, dated and very expensive. When we described the Alder Inn they wished they had booked there too. If we ever come back to South Lake Tahoe, we will call the Alder Inn and hope they have a room for us. I booked directly with the owners and started getting to know them during the booking session. Very personable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Donna M
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a fantastic place to stay in South Lake Tahoe. The location is great, close to restuarants and walking distance to the lake. Each room is decorated with the owners personal touch and are clean and comfortable. The pool has been nicely renovated and is a great pleace to hang out. The Alder Inn is a family run hotel and the owners go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable. Make sure you book directly with the hotel and you will get better room rates and be allowed acces to the complimentary bikes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill O
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our stay was pleasant and the reviews here lead us to believe that we in for a 5 star stay.
Starting with the good is the location. Although not in the "thick of it" it was a five minute drive to what South Lake has to offer. The grounds appear to well enough tended to and you can see that some personal attention has been made to the property. The rooms offer a nice look and decor and the beds are indeed comfortable.
This is an older property and it shows through the new layers of paint. The walls are indeed thin. We noted that we should keep our voices down as it was easy enough to hear every word of the neighbors conversation. Unfortunately our neighbors weren't as considerate, but this is not the fault of Alder Inn, but do note the other reviews regarding the thin walls. Also, when at capacity there is not enough parking spots in the lot as we noted that some cars had to make there own spaces overnight.
Being an older property, the previous life of the Alder Inn shows it's face in some places. The rooms smell of being previously allowed to be smoked in. I know that Alder's policy is 'no smoking' and understand this smell is difficult to get rid of and usually requires new flooring and replacing the 'popcorn' ceiling (this is what worked for our current home at least). So maybe these improvements are on the way, as you can see the place is being updated in other aspects. Our toilet seemed to run and required a deft touch of the handle to stop it. But these things we could easily look past as we knew going in that this is not a brand new resort hotel.
Some things which we could not look past though were the lack of security of the rooms and some plumbing issues. The security issue we noticed upon entering the room. The dead-bolts of the rooms are not accessible from the outside. A sticker covering the dead-bolt with the words "DO NOT USE" made us aware that the only thing locking the room when not inside is the door knob lock. Also the windows need updating with a modern locking system as they are the older sliding style which can be pushed open. Without a in-room safe we felt that we needed to keep our our valuables with us or in the car. The plumbing issue was that if you are taking a hot shower and someone nearby flushes a toilet you are in for a hot nearly scalding spray. This happened to me twice and made me wary of using taking too warm of a shower.
We also noticed, and maybe this was just the timing of our stay, there didn't appear to be too many families/children here. Being that we were without our children we saw this as a plus, but probably won't consider bringing them here as we didn't get that "family" vibe during our stay.
I realize that our 3 star review might not match with the other reviews of the Alder Inn and we really wanted it to be a five star stay. As you can tell from our previous reviews we do offer 5 stars easily. But some of the issues we had with our stay at Alder Inn could not be overlooked. The Alder Inn is a 3 star type of hotel but the pricing is above average and due to these prices we raised our expectations. I see Alder Inn as improving will not hesitate to look into staying here again given that they secure the rooms with a proper locking system and take care of the nearly scalding shower-plumbing issue.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side seemed to offer better airflow. Having no AC, this makes for a cooler room during the day for the summer months.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MFM14
Skiruninn, Owner at Alder Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

It sounds as if you hated your stay, so I will address each issue from our side.
1. The grounds are indeed attended to. I personally plant and care for each flower, it is my yard and I love making it beautiful.
2. The rooms are newly decorated and designed also by me.
3. Sorry you had a loud neighbor, this is not a typical problem and has not been noted often in previous reviews.
4. We do have ample parking. We have 1 place per room and 2 additional overflow spaces. It is not our fault if someone chooses to park incorrectly outside of a marked spot. I'm not at all sure why this was concerning to you since no one was blocked by their parking.
5. Our property is non smoking.....not sure why this was addressed.
6. If the toilet needed attention we wish you would have asked or mentioned it to us.
7. Yes, I have placed a gold sticker on the outside of the deadbolt locks because it was too confusing for most guest. I hope all readers note that we do things for the majority of guest actions not for 1 guests oppinion.
8. The deadbolt is stricktly for security while you are in the room. As with most hotels, our doors automatically lock when the door is shut.
9. The windows have 2 locking mechanisms, not sure how this could possibly be improved.
10. You should have asked us about a safe, we could have provided you with one but you did not ask. As the owners, we live on site and are always here.
11. This is the first time we have ever heard about scalding water temperature issue. I wish you would have let us know about the problem so we could have fixed it during your stay.
12. We have plenty of families that stay here. Im sorry there was not many children at your time of stay, I find it strange that this was noted in your review. On the flip side, if we would have had children running around you might have made a negative comment about it.
****For future guest and review readers, please alert your host of problems so they can be addressed during your stay. Unfortunately we are not mind readers.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Alder Inn is the perfect place to stay in South Lake Tahoe due to a number of factors!
Firstly, the location is brilliant..it's just a short walk away from the lake itself as well as having several restaurants and shops nearby.
Secondly, the inn itself is lovely! The rooms are clean and comfortable with great showers and lots of extras to make your stay more comfortable such as a variety of complimentary toiletries and snacks upon arrival. The pool area is also great, well maintained and open 10am-10pm which are much better hours offered by most hotels! In addition to the pool area there is also a ping pong table, skipping rope and bikes available to keep you entertained! If you're lucky enough to be staying at the weekend you'll also be treated to the ample continental breakfast which was delicious!
Last, but certainly not least, the inn has a great asset in the form of the owners who have a wealth of knowledge about the area which they are happy to share in order to enable guests to get the most out of their stay! One piece of advice I'd give to all travellers is to ensure you book direct with the owners via their website in order to ensure you get the best rate and rooms available (& access to the complimentary bikes!) and stop travel companies from taking a huge cut from the owners' well deserved profits!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently went to lake Tahoe for part of our honeymoon found the Adler inn on tripasvisor And I M so glad we did! It was the best hotel we have ever stayed in! The husband and wife who owned it are probably the nicest people you will ever meet they were so helpful and always made you feel at home! Not to mention thats how the rooms were too, the way the decorated was amazing and unique. I don't think I can say one negative comment about this place. I highly HIGHLY recommend anyone who comes to south lake Tahoe to stay here. When we left to go to SF It was hard to find a hotel to compare to the Adler inn! Nothing is as good as them! Thanks for an awesome stay you made or honeymoon wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2012