“Island Heaven”

Freshies Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sunnyvale, California
“Island Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a local favorite, when you enter the building you are pleasantly surprised to find Freshies which captures the Hawaiian Spirit. Very cool, Hawaiian interior - feel like your somewhere in the islands. They have rooftop dining too - quite the experience and a great view of the lake. The Food here is Fresh - everything made onsite. Hands down the best taco's in Lake Tahoe, My Tri Fries are a must and all their deserts made FRESH on site - If you like coconut cream pie this is your place

Visited June 2013

WA State
“I Liked What We Didn't Get”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had dinner here one night while visiting Tahoe. Surprise; the emphasis is on fresh and healthy food! I had the Teriyaki beef stir fry; it was impressive for having very el-dente fresh white onions, peppers and vegetables, lots of quality sirloin, a moderate but flavorful sauce, and a lack of all the usual too-too-much stuff (salt, oil, grease, sugar, etc.) that one finds in so many restaurant dishes. My companion had the Sweet Potato and Quinoa Griddle Cakes and they were quite well done too. The portions were generous.

The crowded little downstairs dining room left me pondering how I would improve the ambiance; it is very small, but I think the busy loud prints and decor also add to an even more crowded feel. I sensed that it can be hard for people to get a good conversation going among other strangers. We didn't check out the rooftop deck as it was windy and we were a bit fatigued.

In summary, the food they offer is the sort of thing that's not always easy to find when one is traveling and restaurants serve overly-rich high-fat high-sugar foods, so the quality of the food factored highly into my giving Freshies the fourth star. Their menu is posted online; looking at that might guide whether it's the type of place you might enjoy.

• Visited June 2013
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Interesting menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Their food is good and lives up to the name "Freshies". They have some interesting items on their menu and everything I have had there have been good.

“Unusual place, caters to locals but the food was good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Weird little restaurant located inside a mini-mall.

Don't bother to call ahead, They'll make it quite clear they won't accommodate any thing special. I called ahead for a party of 8 and they told us they had only one table that could seat 8 but they would not take a reservation. They added that they would not hold the table if one of us came early.
They clearly treat locals differently; I even saw an announcement for some sort of a "locals night".

The service was average but the food was very good.

• Visited April 2013
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Never fails, always great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not sure what management does to motivate the employees to be as engaging as they are at Freshies, but ... it never fails. You always get a feeling of satisfaction after visiting this Restaurant. I'm a local and we have many choices. Freshies always comes to mind.

Visited March 2013