“spectacular first time dining experience”

Evan's American Gourmet Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
East Amherst, New York
“spectacular first time dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

on the recommendation of Tripadvisor we dined here on our first nite in So Lake Tahoe. We were not disappointed. Service was excellent with all servers (3) sharing responsibilities for all the diners (small place with 9 tables). Food was delicious, prepared perfectly, presented excuisitely. Wife and I enjoyed sweetbreads app and black pepper beef carpaccio app; halibut chef's special,and very popular rosemary and garlic marinated rack of lamgp. Dessert was "sampler" of creme brulee, chocolat au trois, and lemon cheesecake. While fairly expensive, Evan's is a gem that will not disappoint.

1 Thank RandyD171

Brookings, Oregon
“Fabulous dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went here for our Anniversary and had a wonderful dinner. My husband thought it was one of the best meals ever in a restaurant. The food was fresh, delicious, and the service was wonderful. Nice quiet place in an older house. Would highly recommend.

Long Beach Washington
“Excellent Food and Service! `”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a romantic double date night out at Evan's when we were visiting Tahoe. The food was excellent as was the service. It is a quaint restaurant that could use some updating but overall it was a great experience. We had the filet and would have it again. The dessert was also great!

• Visited January 2014
Roseville, California
“Very small, very romantic, very outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Located in a small restaurant, this place offers five star meals in a romantic and comfortable setting. Service is always personal and excellent. Food is outstanding. My wife (of 50 yrs.) and I have eaten here many times over the years (have owned a Tahoe vacation home for 31 yrs) and never had anything but a terrific evening.
Not cheap, but you get what you pay for and you get a first class experience when you eat at Evans....Mike

1 Thank CU4NO
Santa Margarita, California
“Amazing - from start to finish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I wanted to go to a "nice" restaurant while on vacation in South Lake Tahoe, and the reviews and the menu all pointed to Evans - so, we went and the experience was more than I had hoped for. It was a Monday night, mid April, and there were just a few tables occupied - the end of the ski season, and before hordes of summer visitors arrive in town. Our server was very friendly, and attentive - meaning she was there when needed, but not always hovering. The house-made chicken pate was truly full of flavor, served with crisp baguette slices, and that was presented while we looked through the menu. The wine list features many local labels, and bottled beer is also available. The prawn appetizer with Asian slaw was so good I ate it very slowly, because I did not want the taste to end. But then along came my rack of lamb on parsnip and potato mash, and zucchini curls (steamed ribbons of zucchini tossed in fresh mint) and so I had a delicious replacement! My husband was also extremely happy with his choices - a Caesar salad to start, followed by veal medallions, potatoes, and steamed spring veggies. I shared some lamb with my husband, so I could save a little room for dessert! My choice was the apple/blueberry pie, with a streusel-like topping, with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Very delicious, so glad I left room..... Yes, it was expensive, but it was worth every cent: ambiance, service, and delicious food could not be faulted. We will definitely return to Evans next time we are in the area!

• Visited April 2014