“Tahoe Thai?”

Orchid
Ranked #108 of 154 Restaurants in South Lake Tahoe
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 5, 2014

It's difficult to find restaurants that serve non-pub, non-factory food and aren't overpriced -- in Tahoe.

But "Thai Orchid" is a standout. The setting is cramped and not very comfortable. It is often noisy and the tables are surrounded by horrible "banquet" stacking chairs.

But get to the food. It is authentic-Thai. The flavors are clean and clear, and the dishes thoroughly reflect the South East Asian focus on freshness. If you've travelled or lived in Thailand or Cambodia, you'll recognize this as the real thing.

Prices are good and the service is fast.

Enjoy.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I visited here with friends after reading a review in a local paper.
The critic should lose his job!
I ordered rubber soles for my shoes, oh sorry "Thai" fish cakes... Disgusting.
Followed with house "special salad" this was interesting, basically shredded lettuce with two slices of celery four slices of carrot and four deep fried tofu pieces (the size of two sugar cubes each) the tofu was bad.
This was served with a "special" sauce which was cold red Thai curry sauce.
In fact not very special at all.
One of my friends had yellow chicken curry which in fairness he said was not bad, pity about the raw potato pieces.
Jasmine rice with no jasmine, I've tasted better boiled rice!!
I'm done with complaining about this place.
Don't go there.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Good Asian food at a reasonable price is difficult to find in the Lake Tahoe area. If you're looking for greater quality and diversity, you're better off in the Bay Area. But there's no skiing on San Bruno mountain!

After a few days in SLT, we had a craving for some Asian food. The offerings around Heavenly Village weren't appealing, but we stumbled across a few positive reviews about this place, so we decided to check it out.

It was a little hard to find in the worn-out little strip mall towards the outskirts of town. The decor inside the restaurant was fine, though, and we found ourselves sitting next to a fish tank with colorful tropical fish.

In the Bay Area, we're used to relatively small portions, and so we assumed that we would need to order at least 3 entrees plus an appetizer for the two of us. Big mistake. We went home with enough food for another dinner and then some. The special of the day was a curry puff pastry, which we ordered. It wasn't anything particularly special, but it wasn't bad either. The pad thai was enormous, but the sauce had a thick and somewhat pasty feel to it. The flavor, however, was quite good. We also got a curry dish that wasn't as spicy as we'd like, and was perhaps just a bit on the salty side. We also tried a beef with cashews dish that was quite good - not too heavily seasoned, allowing us to enjoy the individual tastes.

Service was fine - I've seen some negative comments about it, but we had no complaints. Well, I guess our water glasses could have been filled a little more frequently. The waitstaff was friendly. Prices were reasonable.

Were this a Bay Area restaurant, it probably would rank about a "3", but I'll grade it on a curve for SLT. Four stars (or rather, four dots).

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Orchid is one of our go to places in South Lake Tahoe, the food is delicious.
I would recommend the pumpkin curry, and the Mango curry (when available)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I visit South Lake Tahoe every year. We discovered Thai Orchid several years ago and think it is one of the best restaurants in Lake Tahoe and one of the best Thai restaurants we have eaten at. The pumpkin curry and pad thai are wonderful. I really enjoy the fresh vegetables in the dishes. Locals frequent the restaurant so it is usually busy in the evening, but worth the wait if there is one. On our visit this year, we ate at Thai Orchid 4 evenings in 6 days.