“Not that great Italian”

Primo's Italian Bistro
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Primo's Italian Bistro serves authentic Italian recipes and boasts the most extensive selection of Italian wines on the South Shore. Large parties, catering, reservations and to-go orders are welcome. We also have quarterly wine pairing dinners.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Skip this one if you know good Italian food. The red sauce was not that flavorful (they take pride in calling it gravy but by any name this was not a good flavor). My chicken piccata had a nice lemony flavor but the chicken was tough. My husband's pasta dish was completely average for what we get in So. Cal and my 17 yr. old son didn't like his pasta with seafood - it had some other strange things in it. The best thing there was the Tortilla soup - bizarre for an Italian restaurant - but that was the only good thing of the evening. A must skip and we were sorry we went.

1  Thank MicheleB55
There are newer reviews for Primo's Italian Bistro

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Don't be deceived by the restaurant location or decor. It is the best Italalian Restaurant in South Lake Tahoe. Excelent, freshly made pasta, served "al dente". great appetizers & specials. Not an extensive wine list but superb Italian's very reasonalby priced. Very, very attentive service - while perhaps too informal this might be a California thing. Overall a great place which we will surely return every time we're in Lake Tahoe

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've eaten at Primo's 3 times. The menu has very conventional Italian restaurant items, but the specials can be almost anything: wild game sausage appetizers, various unusual homemade raviolis, etc.. The menu items are delicious and very large servings. The specials are far more interesting (to my tastes), as they are much more experimental. Service has been very good when I've been there, but that can, I imagine, vary with day and server. The last time I was there, my server had also been the chef who had prepared two of the specials, and so was especially capable of describing them to us. Though the food is high quality, the atmosphere is quite casual: exactly what I like, but not "fancy" if that is what one is looking for. Tables are close together and it feels natural to talk with other guests. Not somewhere that allows you to have a "private" meal for two.

Going back for Valentine's Day 'cause we like it so much.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Excellent food and very friendly and accommodating folks.
The food is very, very good. The homemade pasta is wonderful and the specials are delicious. Prices are reasonable, especially for Tahoe where you can spend an arm and a leg for something you could make better at home.
I've been here several times and the service is hit or miss. Nothing horrible, just that they seem to need some standardization to the service model. I'm sure there is a resource for this in the industry. The service at the bar is very good and it's a nice atmosphere.
It's nice to have a restaurant in town where they offer something unique (homemade pasta). They have nice Italian wines too.
Highly recommend.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The food we ordered were Eggplant Ricotta Pizza, Linguine Clam, Meat Lasagna, and Chicken Parmesan. They're all okay, the Linguine Clam in red sauce was particularly good. The server was also attentive and accommodating of our needs. Our only complaint was the tiramisu dessert. The lady fingers were too soft, the cream too heavy and thick, and the sprinkled powder should be coffee powder instead of dark chocolate powder.