“Generic replacement level South Lake Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ambassador Motor Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4130 Manzanita Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #51 of 72 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Francisco, California, United States
“Generic replacement level South Lake Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Clean, friendly staff, and the rooms have mini fridges and microwaves. What more do you want from a cheap motel in South Lake? A bit run-down, but that's to be expected, and clean makes up for it. Extra blankets and pillows available.

A-OK is the operative term here; it's a replacement-level motel; I've stayed in a lot of motels in South Lake, and they are all about the same.

Useful facts:
The hot tub was closed (this was in the middle of winter).

They didn't mind an extra car parking here before going skiing. The woman working the front desk was pleasant.

The included wi-fi was mediocre quality.

The included breakfast started at 8 AM, and we were heading to the slopes before that, so we didn't get a chance to eat it.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms, and corner rooms, are better.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ZacharyRD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This lodge is more like a motel with breakfast. Although the staff is really friendly, Housekeeping was very slow since we were not able to check in till 4 hours after normal check in. We went to dinner and back and were literally sitting in our car till our room was done. I dont think I will be returning with my family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Taximom2014

Travelers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Bay Area, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wow, what a great find! After driving around looking for the right hotel that wasn't too much we came upon this little gem. Tucked away amongst the trees. A great pool area well kept with a lawn area with picnic tables and 3 BBQ's. Although there was no air-conditioner (and believe me, I need air conditioners) the room was quite airy and cool! I know, I too was shocked! They did have fans but I didn't need it all the time. We went the weekend of the 27th and believe me when I say it was a hot weekend.

The service was outstanding! Breakfast in the morning with quite a nice spread. Everyone that we had to talk with was amazing. No lie. I too am shocked at such a great review but I assure you, it is a wonderful place to stay and we WILL be back!

Room Tip: I do believe any room would be good. There is a huge suite that I believe holds up to 8 people.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place was a priceline surprise for us. I'm not sure I would have chosen this place if I were going strictly by all of the reviews.

We got a room on the second floor. There was some kind of Harley biker retreat going on at this place, so it was a little intimidating to drive up and see all the bikes and bikers when we drove up.... but everyone was really nice and friendly. There was also a concert going on at the nearby casino, so it was pretty noisy from that. But all of the noise promptly stopped around 10 pm.

The weather was cool, so we didn't need the A/C or heat. Yes, the place is a little dated. But I gotta say, our room was immaculately clean! No hairdryer or iron.............but there were lots of little toiletry samples.

We didn't get a chance to try the breakfast. We were up and out too early for that.
The staff was pretty nice. We'd consider coming back here.

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia L
Ceres, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First off there was no a/c condition. I died of heat. I booked a room with a full kitchen and I did not get that. The rooms seemed old, no iron or hair dryer. Overall this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Juliana R
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I often stay here for the weekend. It is good value. I stayed here for the past 4 years. My review is past due.
The staff is friendly. I can check in early if the rooms are ready, which is 90% of the time.
The breakfast is awesome. They have coffee, juice, milk, fresh fruits, cereal, energy bars, etc. My favorites are the fresh cup cakes and toasted bagels with cream cheese. Then get an apple to go. I never eat so much breakfast elsewhere.
The rooms are clean. The furniture are old, but well maintained. There is WIFI, but often busy.
The hot water is hot and the cold water is cold. It is very important! The water pressure is good for a hot shower.
It is a 5 minutes walk to Heavenly Gondola.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove up for a last minuet birthday weekend and stumbled upon this cute little place. I grew up only an hour away and have stayed at many of the cheap motels in this area. The Ambassador was a pleasant suprise to say the least. The rate was affordable, the room was large and clean, the service was friendly, and the breakfast spread was great. Excited to say we have one more night here. We will definetly be back!

• Stayed February 2013