“Easy living for skiing Heavenly”

Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Perth, Australia
“Easy living for skiing Heavenly”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott whilst skiing Heavenly and it is an easy choice. The hotel is about 1-2 minutes walk to the gondola and equally close to ski shops and rentals. If you want to minimise the hassle, then this is an easy choice. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment, which had a separate living area with pull out sofa, so very comfortable for 4. There is a generous kitchen with double door fridge, oven and dining area, plus 2 bathrooms. We previously stayed a the adjacent Marriott Lodge, but fond it noisy by comparison and not as well designed. The free laundry is a bonus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Svensky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay tremendously. A few comments:
1) When I booked a "studio" room, I had a feeling it was going to be small. That's just what I think of when I think of "studio". Our room was anything but small. We had a full sized refrigerator, dishwasher, kitchen sink, coffee pot as well as a blender and plenty of dishes as well as a small dining table. Also had a humidifier in the room, which was a nice perk because I've stayed in other ski resorts where you had to call and ask for one. Our dishes were cleaned daily when our room was cleaned.
2) So many walkable restaurants as well as other things to do. We only had a rental car on the first and last day of our trip. Three days in the middle were fine without a rental car as there is so much within a VERY short walking distance.
3) No casino on the premises which was a nice bonus as my wife does not like casinos. I did a little bit of gambling and it was a short walk. The lobby as well as our room were very quiet which we enjoyed.
4) Staff were all very courteous and helpful.

A few minor glitches:
1) Wife booked a massage and the day she was scheduled the resort's spa was closed and she was sent to their "sister" spa facility. It was not far but she was not overly impressed with the atmosphere, although the massage was good she didn't like the facility itself.
2) When I called the facility to ask a few questions before we booked, I was told it is a "ski in, ski out" resort. While the gondola is literally steps away, there are no ski slopes to "ski in" to the resort. It's a 15 minute ride on the gondola before you are actually at the slopes. This wasn't a big issue for us but it was a tiny bit misleading the way it was described.
3) As many other reviewers have mentioned, the overnight parking fee was a bit steep ($26). We were well aware of this going in and the price of the room was very reasonable for the quality of the resort so we weren't too bothered by it.

Despite the above on the whole we were extremely pleased and would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone.

1 Thank DFWTravelerDallas_TX
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in the summer but if you are a skier, this is the place to stay- its right at the base of the lift
We had a two bedroom suite that was connected by a living room and kitchen. It was like a private condo and I could stay there for months! The location is excellent - close to casinos, restaurants, beach, shopping - everything within walking distance.
Would love to go back!

• Stayed July 2012
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here in January. As we wanted to ski Heavenly, location is excellent...right next to Gondola. We are Marriott owners and are used to the brand. They are top notch in quality and service. We have never had a really bad experience at a Marriott. Staff, as usual is well trained, friendly, and helpful. They make you feel appreciated and that they are glad you are staying with them. The staff at Grand Residence is no different. Eating options are abundant and reasonably priced within walking distance. If we return to Tahoe, we will definitly be back.

Room Tip: Pool/Skating rink side are the best. Try to stay away from road side.
1 Thank RobertLivonia_MI
Kamuela
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the Marriott Grand Residence Club. This was a skiing vacation and the Marriott is definitely a great place to stay--great staff. So convenient to walk out of our condo and be steps away from the Gondola, no driving required. Super experience!

Virginia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My sister, her husband, her kids and my spouse and I stayed here for a family get together in October of last year. Four adults and four children total. The kids ages ranged from 12 to 3. They chose a two bedroom suite option. We chose the studio room option.

Two bedroom suite - WOW! Fireplace, view, window seats, plenty of sleeping space - we could have fit another family with four kids into the space with no one having to sleep on the floor - great kitchen, nice bathroom layout.

Studio - small but efficient. We were barely in the room so it worked for two people. Galley kitchen with full sized fridge and applicances. There was a table and four chairs. Large bathroom. We had a good balcony, but no view.

Hotel room basics - the kitchens were stocked with everything you would need to eat and cook for the size of room you have. Including a coffee maker, toaster, pots, pans, utensils. The suite had a breakfast bar area in additon to a dining table area. I liked that they included a way to separate your recycables from regular trash.

There is guest laundry (free) on the floors.

Beds were comfortable. The hotel was quiet for sleeping.

There is a business center area in the lobby if you need to print something out.

We got lucky with weather and it was warm enough one day to be out by the pool. I enjoyed reading in a chaise. My husband had a nap. The kids had a great time in the pool itself. There is a fire pit area we took advantage of one night to pose for a group photo.

Area around the hotel - centrally located. Walking distance to the casinos in Nevada. Walking distance to a grocery store. The grocery store was a bonus for stocking up our kitchens. Walking distance to multiple restaurants (including a great breakfast place right around the corner), a good nail salon and decent shopping. (The girls treated ourselves to manis and pedis!) Walking distance to a park with great views of the lake and hiking available. Walking distance to a movie theatre - if you can bear to be indoors in the Lake Tahoe area!

If we were there in ski season, we could have taken advantage of the fact that they are also right at the base of the mountain. The lift is right there.

Hotel Service - Housekeeping was fine. They kept up with the basics. Room was clean. Front desk staff were very friendly. Valet parking staff were excellent. Flexible, nice and helpful.

Hotel Restaurant - this was the one let down. The hotel restauarant Fire and Ice is an interesting concept. I've seen it in college towns a few times. You select your own ingredients - they cook you a plate of food from it. You can eat as much as you want. Major way for a hotel or restaurant to save on labor costs and offer guests a large menu selection.

The food choice and quality was good. The cooking preparation was fine. However it is significantly overpriced for what you are getting - considering you are doing most of the work yourself. For the price, I would also have expected more attentive service. Our service was acceptable - but not attentive. If you are very hungry and eat a lot - you could get value here. Don't come for a quick meal or when you only want two helpings of food.

The bar seemed busy and fun. With the kids, we did not stop there.

Overall - if I came back to this side of Lake Tahoe again I would be hard pressed to stay anywhere other than the Marriott.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AzureMountain
San Jose, Ca
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed over the Holiday weekend, 2 couples and 2 children, in a 2 bd. 3 Bath Unit. The Unit is 1,300 sq. ft and the rooms are on opposite ends, with the living area in the middle. I truly liked the set up. We are very familiar with this kind of time/share, condo set up, and I think that they are all pretty similar, however this was the first time we had the grandparents with us, and so I got to experience how well the 2 room set up works. I really felt it worked really well. I had no complaints about the rooms, the facility in general and the staff. The rooms were clean and well appointed, 3 baths, 3 flat screens. Plenty of dishes and coffee pots. These rooms faced the ice ring and the "center" of the Village. We really loved to sit at the table and watch the Ice Skaters and hear the music, it really felt like we were in a small village. Plenty of choices to eat, and on Sunday night we had smores by the fire pit. Nice Place to stay, close to the Gondolas, to restaurants and shops. Plenty to do for the whole family. I would highly recommend it and we will definetely stay again.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, ask for a higher floor, so that the view is better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,035 reviews

Been to Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.

Property: Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Address: 1001 Heavenly Village Way, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150-7068 (Formerly Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe)
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Restaurant Ski-In / Ski-Out Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Spa Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#4 Business Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#5 Family Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#8 Romantic Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Class:4 star — Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Vacatia, Orbitz, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Marriott, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe