Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
New York City, New York
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here in mid-Dec 2012 after a series of snow storms loaded up the mountain with powder early.

Service - top notch, the staff went out of their way for me. Even though you are not supposed to carry ski gear into the rooms, the concierge actually carried my skis for me to my room. They did everything I asked for and did it promptly. I sprained my ankle on my last day of skiing and was unable to walk that night. Concierge went out to a pharmacy for me and bought me compression bandages, ibuprofen, and beer. They also handled my dinner which I had delivered to the hotel (they walked up the delivery people to my room so I could sign for it since I used a card). Yes, I did tip on this occasion :) All in all, I was extremely pleased with the service. Valet was responsive at all hours for in/out of parking garage (although I have issues on pricing with this, see below).

Price - I got an early season special since it was pre-season. Granted, snow does not always cooperate with pricing schedules. So I paid $90/night for walk on access to the gondola with several feet of fresh, untouched powder and no lines. All in all, pricing is very reasonable. My only beef on pricing is the $26/day valet charge - really? I mean, really? 1/4 of my bill was parking charges...

Room - Rooms are quite nice in my opinion. Although as a single guy, I really do not need much.

Amenities - Spa facilities were mediocre, but not bad. The hot tub/pool was great though. Only complaint was the security guard had a bad attitude when he came out to kick us out of the hot tub at 10 pm. We understood he was doing his job and no one said anything bad, but the way he started that conversation was extremely negative. Poor attitude and there was no need to be combative since no one was fighting it. Sauna was good. Steam room was weird as it worked some times and not others. Internet service was very good. Location to Gondola was Heavenly :) its right there. Stores, services (like Ski instruction), etc. are attached to or next door to the Grand Residences, so if you are renting skis or taking lessons, this is where you want to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dracop9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Takoma Park, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is certainly a nice hotel with very solicitous staff, comfortable beds and a good location next to the gondola. This is all about location. The little village created by Marriott features a range of independent restaurants and boutiques. All nice and with a range of prices. The pool and hot tubs are nice. Having hot apple cider and fresh cookies available in the lobby is nice. But, if I'm going to Tahoe somehow I don't expect to have a room that features nonstop traffic noise from cars and trucks rumbling by 24 hours per day. I also don't expect it to take me an more than hour to get to ski. Between a huge line at the gondola, the long ride up the mountain, and then more standing in a lift line, it was not a stellar ski experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the street side at all costs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank baysail
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Marriott Grand Residences is an amazing hotel. Truly what you would expect (and more) from a snow field lodge type place. We stayed there just before Christmas, the the entrance to the hotel and the interior was all decorated with Christmas trees and wreaths etc. Check in staff were great, and the room was spectacular. It was just my partner and myself traveling, so we were used to smallish studio rooms, but at the Marriott it had a bed, a balcony, a dining table and chairs, a kitchen and a spacious bathroom.

Staff were always helpful. They have a lobby desk, for all hotel matters, and they also have a concierge desk for anything you need outside of the hotel, like directions, things to do, tours etc. Connie from concierge was fantastic, recommended us go to Eagle Falls for the view and gave us directions, and it turned out to be great.

The location of the hotel is awesome. On one side of the hotel is the gondola up the ski fields, and on the other side is small shopping area, with a supermarket and starbucks etc. The shops on the ground level on the outside of the hotel include Heavenly Sports (where you get skis and snowboard hire from), and Patagonia Sports (where we got skiing clothing from, only $10 per day per item which was great).

All in all, a fantastic stay and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Gondola view room was very nice.
4 Thank Tom U
So. California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Steps off the gondola, and in Heavenly village, this place has a great location. The staff was some of the nicest I've ever met...the villas or suites as they call them were fine...but I did miss having a stacked washer and dryer as they have at most other Marriott Vacation club locals.
The grocery store is just across the street if you want to pick up some food, and the movie theaters are also within Heavenly village, so again...very convenient. It made for a very nice stay. We look forward to going back.
P.S. This is less busy and more relaxed than the Tiber Lodge property by marriott just on the other side of the gondola. We have stayed at both, but prefer the grand residences.

2 Thank kgthomas
Granada Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived too early to check-in (around 9:30am), but I wanted to leave the car and luggage, so I go straight to the Marriott anyways. They tell me to leave them my number and they would call me once my room was ready. By 10:30am I had already received a call letting me know my room was ready and my luggage on the way to the room. ;)

It's a great location, in the middle of Heavenly Village. We would exit the hotel and end up right in front of the gondolas, shops, restaurants, and movie theater. Not to mention the casinos were only 2 blocks away. We all had a great time!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank M0424
Madison,AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

During our 8 day stay, we utilized the cub house for the kids on many occasions. The activities offered for the whole family make it easy to enjoy the stay, even if you don't ski or snowboard the whole time. While the kids have activities, the adults can enjoy things like wine tasting, which was a fun experience. The staff in both Marriott resorts provide outstanding service!
It is great to be able to hop onto the Gondola a few steps from the resorts on either side. The ski rental shops are right outside, and Heavenly even valets skis for Grand Residence guests. We did rent the skis from Powderhouse skis, which seemed a better deal, and we were happy with their service as well.
There are laundry rooms, vending, and ice machines on most floors.
Our room had a kitchen, which we used quite a bit, especially for breakfast. There is even a crockpot to make chili with!
The outdoor heated pool is comfortable for a few laps and the kids to enjoy even at 32 degrees! After that the two hot tubs keep everyone warm and loosens up the tight muscles from a day or so of skiing the mountain slopes.
The fireplaces in the rooms, the big rooms sleep several family members comfortably! The availability of premium movie channels is nice. And you can enjoy the time either relaxing, watching TV, playing cards, games, ski all day, going to the casino, skate, sled, shop, enjoy the scenery, and feel at home away from home, without stress or time constraints. Awesome vacation spot in winter!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank inthesun007
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've stayed here twice (winter 2011 and winter 2012) but probably won't come back unless their is a great rate.

This property is nice and the location is perfect if you want to enjoy the Heavenly Village. The pool and hot tubs are nice. The lobby area is pleasant to hang out in.

However, the vacation ownership aspect of it makes it a bit funky if you are a couple and just booking one room hotel style. The 1 King rooms are just the closed off master bed room of larger units and are very small and have very poor floor plans. The space was literally as small and awkward as many rooms I've stayed in places like Manhattan and Tokyo. For a mountain lodge experience, you should not have to put up with that. We had almost no table space and had things just laying around on the floor. It was impossible to get up for the bathroom at night without bumping into snow gear. I think if you have a larger family unit, it's probably a better experience.

Other cons:
- Agree with others that $26 valet parking is annoying. I expect to pay for parking in appropriate locations. No other property in Tahoe does this though, so they are out of place with the market. Valets were very nice, but I only needed my car twice during our 3 night stay and one of the times they did not pick up the phone so I had to go down and wait for car.

-BE WARNED THAT MARRIOTT PLATINUM STATUS MEANS NOTHING. I knew this from my first visit, so I wasn't bothered this time, but I watched a guy checking in next to me have a melt down. Since this is a vacation ownership property they don't do upgrades, arrival gifts, or anything special. You just have to be grateful to get your marriott points.

-this may seem small but....they had a free wine tasting one night. seemed like a nice touch...until we got there and they were serving in tiny plastic shot glasses. c'mon, this is norther california, can we please show at least a little awareness of how to serve wine.

-wife used the spa for a massage. she said massage was good but the spa facilities were very unimpressive...of course it was priced low so i guess you get what you pay for.

8 Thank darwin96
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,948 reviews

Been to Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.

Property: Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Address: 1001 Heavenly Village Way, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150-7068 (Formerly Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe)
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Restaurant Ski-In / Ski-Out Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Spa Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#4 Business Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#5 Family Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#8 Romantic Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Class:4 star — Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Marriott, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe