I'm really torn between 3 and 4 stars...
We booked this hotel mainly because of the amenities listed (free kayaks available, bikes, pool, breakfast, fire pit, fireplace, etc). Yes, these amenities were technically there, the ones we actually cared about were pretty disappointing....
Let me explain:
- "Kayaks" were a joke. They were far too small for adults (children maybe) and were unusable in the water. We are not big people - I barely weigh 130 lbs and the 'kayak' would have sunk within 5 minutes on the lake. We ended up having to pay to rent kayaks somewhere else. This was a HUGE disappointment.
- If you want to use the fireplace, the pilot light needs to be lit by hotel staff. I brought this up and the front desk attendant said "oh yeah, we should really have signs that say that". Ummm yes, you should. We really would have liked to use it the first night. After that it warmed up and we didn't need it.
- Breakfast is extremely limited. They put out a crockpot of oatmeal with a tiny bowl of yogurt and a tiny bowl of cut up strawberries. You are literally restricted to taking maybe a tablespoon of yogurt and strawberries (if you don't want to be a jerk and take all of it). There is also granola, but no milk or anything to put on it. They also have a platter of a few pastries, but again, very very limited. We were satisfied, but I still thought this was dumb.
- Free sangria in the lobby gave me a raging headache. I think it was pre-made...Why not just serve inexpensive wine?
- Pool was not heated (unusable), but hot tub was great and we used it nightly.
Fortunately our room was clean (minus a few stray hairs), comfortable, and updated. My favorite part was the huge shower with the rain shower head.
Conveniently located to a private beach 2 blocks away and the casinos just up the street. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but were really disappointed with the mediocre amenities.
Tip: Ask for a room upstairs
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to a mountain retreat that’s just steps away from South Lake Tahoe’s beaches, Heavenly gondola, and world-famous dining, shopping, recreation, and entertainment. The Avalon Lodge will pamper you with the best beds in Tahoe, luxurious linens, flat screen TVs, in-room fireplaces, gourmet coffee, and spa-quality essentials. You’ll also enjoy fresh continental breakfasts, Free WiFi, Lakeside Beach access and Jacuzzi. We provide activity equipment for your stay - bikes, kayaks and snowshoes. Pets are welcome, too! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Cancelon, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Avalon Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avalon Hotel South Lake Tahoe
- Avalon Hotel Lake Tahoe
- Avalon Motel Lake Tahoe