“Rude and unprofessional, worst experience for families with kids”
Review of Avalon Lodge

Avalon Lodge
Ranked #48 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Old and stinky room. Rude staff asking for additional money after check in for even babies 1. Never will stay here again and will consider a franchise option than mom n pop type of hotel like this. Breakfast is nearly non existing and the heater never worked which made all of us sick.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Familyfirstforme
Katy D, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

At the Avalon Lodge, we do charge for all additional people over double occupancy in our rooms. Additionally, we have a maximum occupancy of 3 people of any age in a room. These policies were put in place based on guest feedback and to provide a quiet and private retreat for our guests. Due to your upset nature, we made exceptions to both of these and this unfortunately impacted our other guests as well as our staff. The information was clearly stated on the website (Expedia) on which you booked your reservation as well as all other websites. In addition to reading the information on the website, it is important to include the correct information when making your reservation, when you booked your stay you simply booked a room for 2 adults, if you had included your children on the reservation there would have been no surprises.

All of our rooms were remodeled in 2011 and do have a fireplace heater. Your heater did work during your stay, our front desk did confirm that with you upon your arrival. Additionally, we offer a fresh and healthy continental breakfast of oatmeal with toppings, yogurt with granola and berries as well as breakfast breads, coffee, tea and juice. We are very open about and proud of our rooms, small intimate nature of our property and offerings, we do strive to protect this atmosphere to ensure the experience that we promote is the one we provide. There are many hotels in Tahoe, all offering different experiences, and it does seem that our experience was not the experience that you were looking for. It is important that you do research and understand the hotel that you are reserving a room at to ensure that you find the right hotel for your vacation.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I would call my experience with the Avalon Lodge the best hotel experience I have had yet. The staff is excellent and the rooms are very comfortable and nice. When we arrived at the airport we realized we were going to be vary late coming in so we called the hotel to let them know and they were very understanding and held our room for us. Very happy with the room and had all the amenities listed. However the Wi-Fi would not connect with my iPad and the coffee Maker In the room did not make a good cup of coffee. I can't blame the hotel for the Wi-Fi it is more the providers fault then the hotel for having old equipment. In any case we just walked up two blocks to the nearest Starbucks to check email and Facebook. As for the coffee the front lobby always had a fresh pot Available so that wasn't a problem either.

We ended up eating more at the hotel then we did out at any restaurant. The hotel provided a wonderful breakfast of oatmeal yogurt and other Healthy items every morning which was a great plus. There was a mini fridge and a microwave in the room which we Made great use of. The staff was very nice to allow us to use their dishes and silverware for our dinners and lunches. In the afternoon they offered sangrias for the over 21 crowd to relax by the pool with. that was possibly one of my favorite parts.

The location was awesome you could walk two blocks one way and be on the main highway and close to The heavenly Village shops or roughly 2 blocks the other way and be right at the private beach on the lake. The private beach has a marina and a very nice little outdoor restaurant. The casinos were only about two blocks away however we did not visit And contribute.
We spent a very nice afternoon relaxing by the pool, And an evening relaxing in the hot tub. They do not use chlorine in their hot tub, This was very nice for me because I am very sensitive to the chlorine smell. All in all we had a wonderful time and plan to return to the Avalon Lodge very soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I did a lot of shopping around for a good deal for a 3 night stay midweek near the casinos, This place like it was a great deal- so I took a chance and made reservations, The room as very nicely appointed, and we were very happy to see the microwave and mini fridge, The bathroom is very nice, with a slate shower. I did not realize how pet friendly this place is, but was a bit concerned when I saw all of the dogs- I am happy to say that my stay was not marred by barking dogs. The front desk employee named "Lovely" lived up to her namesake by following up on reservations for us after another employee gave us the wrong phone number as the fax number. She fixed the wireless internet immediately when we reported it not working, and tried to get a light fixture fixed for us, but it didn't happen. The location is great, and the lighted entry way from the street make it easy to find when you return after a full day. I would prefer staying here over a casino anytime! Btw- iPod docking stations were advertised but none were in our room.

Room Tip: Top Unit at the end- really nice. (but no elevator- so I hope you like dragging luggage up the steps...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July. The location is great. It is walking distance from the casinos and a private beach. The staff is welcoming. There is free sangria at 4:00 every day and a nice continental breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, juice, coffee, yogurt. The room was a little dark for me but the beds were comfy. The pictures make the bathroom look larger than it is but it is clean. There is no air conditioning but there is a ceiling fan. It can get hot in July and August but it still cools down at night.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room. It might be lighter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lily R
Katy D, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. Just this week we have added additional lighting to all downstairs rooms and will be adding additional lighting to the upstairs rooms this fall. While we typically do not need air conditioning in Tahoe, there are a few weeks which can be hot, especially this year with record heat. We are looking to add air conditioning or an alternative source for cooling this spring. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I are 5 star vacationers but we opted to take a road trip with our 2 poodles and stay in pet friendly hotels. The Avalon Lodge was one of our stops which was suppose to be for 7 nights. At first, I wanted to find another hotel...it was NOT my style. However, when I went directly to the office to tell them of my disappointment, Katy at the front desk completely took charge, literallhy accommodating my every complaint. She brought in 3 lamps to brighten up the room, brought in a large comfortable leather chair for my husband so he can watch his favorite sporting events in comfort, she brought in an extra table for the bathroom to make room for my make-up and toiletries, and to top it off, she had 2 nice bottles of local wine sent to our room with a note telling us that she was sorry we were disappointed and to let us know that if there was anything more that we would like to make our stay more comfortable please let them know. From there on out, I couldn't have been happier. The rest of the week was wonderful. The entire staff are all so friendly...they were like family by the end of the week. The lodge is probably the nicest in that area considering most of the hotels/motels there are kind of funky. It was a perfect location because we walked everywhere and rarely needed the car. We walked to the restaurants, beach, golf course, Heavenly shopping mall, casinos, movie theatres and more. We loved the homemade oatmeal with a secret ingredient every morning, and including the fresh berries, yogurt and granola. The mini-market in the office had lots of yummy snacks for any craving including cheeses, candy, libations and a nice wine selection If we take the poodles on our next trip and go back to South Lake Tahoe, we definitely will make our reservations at the Avalon Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rhonda W
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I decided to book here because of price, location, and the fact that there's a pool. It's within walking distance to the casinos and guests get access to a nice private beach (also walking distance). Check-in went smoothly. The front desk staff was pleasant. There was sangria and coffee available in the lobby. I asked if the pool was heated and she said yes. We located our room and was impressed that it was updated for an older motel. The bathroom was very nice. The bedding and towels were plush. There is a large flat screen TV, small fridge and microwave in the room as well. The only negative thing I can comment on is the fact that the swimming pool was not heated and was dirty. This was a huge disappointment because we had called a week before to confirm it would be ready to use during our stay. My young son and husband were upset when they were ready to swim, only to realize the pool had not been cleaned (and was cold). My husband asked the front desk about the pool and was told a maintenance man was suppose to come out but didn't make it. The pool was murky and when my husband stuck his hand in it, there was this brown powdery residue on his fingers. We went back to the beach but it would've been nice to have access to a clean pool. I heard other guests walking by and talking about going into the pool but of course no one went in. The continental breakfast was fine: good coffee, oatmeal, and coffee cake. The cakes were yummy. Anyway, I would come back because the room is nice, the staff pleasant and the location is great. However, they really need to get their pool cleaned!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank liberrygal
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Liberrygal,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. Our property has many pine trees and in the mountains, the pine pollen is prevalent for a few weeks each summer. This year, the pine pollen was overwhelming to the area, and while we strive to mitigate it for the week or two it is here, this year we did not seem to be able to keep up. To assist in keeping the pollen out (and heat in) we have purchased a pool cover as well as upgraded the pool pump to better handle this issue. We thank you for your feedback and do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I made a reservation with a very polite "Ralph" several weeks ago for July 4-7, using a special I found online for $99 per night. The reservation system was down, but he took all my info, including my credit card info, in writing. Last weekend, I realized I didn't have a confirmation, so I called. Ralph was very polite and apologized that my reservation didn't get processed. He remembered talking to me. He researched and called me back, saying he couldn't find the note, but the hotel couldn't honor the special I called about, because of the holiday weekend. He never mentioned that when I reserved, and if it was on the special I saw, I missed it. Either way, it's two weeks out, I have flights to Reno booked family booked in another hotel, and few hotels to choose from--all at much higher last minute rates. As a business owner, I would have tried to work this out with a compromise, but this hotel was willing to let me "swing in the wind". If you deal with this hotel, get everything in writing. (I also read on one review that they do not have a/c. I don't know if that's true. ) --Linda Cannon, Las Vegas

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lindainvegas

Dear Linda,

We apologize for the confusion on our promotion and your reservation. It was stated in the promotion that this deal was not available over the holiday weekend. Because our computer system was down, Ralph did take down your information and offered to make the reservation if possible, but did let you know he would call back with an answer. Ralph did call you back, as promised, the same day at the number you gave him and left a message stating that the promotion was not valid over these dates and offered to book a reservation at an available rate. It seems that you did not receive this information and we do apologize.

When you spoke to Ralph the second time he did offer alternative rates however the Fourth of July is a very popular holiday in South Lake Tahoe and room rates do run much higher than $99 at the majority of hotels and you chose to find an alternative hotel. We do feel the promotion was advertised appropriately and we tried to do everything we could to assist you. We are very sorry for any impact in planning your vacation.