“Better than I expected- very personal touch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Lodge

Avalon Lodge
Ranked #42 of 72 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Better than I expected- very personal touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I did a lot of shopping around for a good deal for a 3 night stay midweek near the casinos, This place like it was a great deal- so I took a chance and made reservations, The room as very nicely appointed, and we were very happy to see the microwave and mini fridge, The bathroom is very nice, with a slate shower. I did not realize how pet friendly this place is, but was a bit concerned when I saw all of the dogs- I am happy to say that my stay was not marred by barking dogs. The front desk employee named "Lovely" lived up to her namesake by following up on reservations for us after another employee gave us the wrong phone number as the fax number. She fixed the wireless internet immediately when we reported it not working, and tried to get a light fixture fixed for us, but it didn't happen. The location is great, and the lighted entry way from the street make it easy to find when you return after a full day. I would prefer staying here over a casino anytime! Btw- iPod docking stations were advertised but none were in our room.

Room Tip: Top Unit at the end- really nice. (but no elevator- so I hope you like dragging luggage up the steps...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pacific Palisades, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July. The location is great. It is walking distance from the casinos and a private beach. The staff is welcoming. There is free sangria at 4:00 every day and a nice continental breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, juice, coffee, yogurt. The room was a little dark for me but the beds were comfy. The pictures make the bathroom look larger than it is but it is clean. There is no air conditioning but there is a ceiling fan. It can get hot in July and August but it still cools down at night.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room. It might be lighter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lily R
Katy D, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and feedback. Just this week we have added additional lighting to all downstairs rooms and will be adding additional lighting to the upstairs rooms this fall. While we typically do not need air conditioning in Tahoe, there are a few weeks which can be hot, especially this year with record heat. We are looking to add air conditioning or an alternative source for cooling this spring. We hope to see you again soon!
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I are 5 star vacationers but we opted to take a road trip with our 2 poodles and stay in pet friendly hotels. The Avalon Lodge was one of our stops which was suppose to be for 7 nights. At first, I wanted to find another hotel...it was NOT my style. However, when I went directly to the office to tell them of my disappointment, Katy at the front desk completely took charge, literallhy accommodating my every complaint. She brought in 3 lamps to brighten up the room, brought in a large comfortable leather chair for my husband so he can watch his favorite sporting events in comfort, she brought in an extra table for the bathroom to make room for my make-up and toiletries, and to top it off, she had 2 nice bottles of local wine sent to our room with a note telling us that she was sorry we were disappointed and to let us know that if there was anything more that we would like to make our stay more comfortable please let them know. From there on out, I couldn't have been happier. The rest of the week was wonderful. The entire staff are all so friendly...they were like family by the end of the week. The lodge is probably the nicest in that area considering most of the hotels/motels there are kind of funky. It was a perfect location because we walked everywhere and rarely needed the car. We walked to the restaurants, beach, golf course, Heavenly shopping mall, casinos, movie theatres and more. We loved the homemade oatmeal with a secret ingredient every morning, and including the fresh berries, yogurt and granola. The mini-market in the office had lots of yummy snacks for any craving including cheeses, candy, libations and a nice wine selection If we take the poodles on our next trip and go back to South Lake Tahoe, we definitely will make our reservations at the Avalon Lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rhonda W
bay area, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I decided to book here because of price, location, and the fact that there's a pool. It's within walking distance to the casinos and guests get access to a nice private beach (also walking distance). Check-in went smoothly. The front desk staff was pleasant. There was sangria and coffee available in the lobby. I asked if the pool was heated and she said yes. We located our room and was impressed that it was updated for an older motel. The bathroom was very nice. The bedding and towels were plush. There is a large flat screen TV, small fridge and microwave in the room as well. The only negative thing I can comment on is the fact that the swimming pool was not heated and was dirty. This was a huge disappointment because we had called a week before to confirm it would be ready to use during our stay. My young son and husband were upset when they were ready to swim, only to realize the pool had not been cleaned (and was cold). My husband asked the front desk about the pool and was told a maintenance man was suppose to come out but didn't make it. The pool was murky and when my husband stuck his hand in it, there was this brown powdery residue on his fingers. We went back to the beach but it would've been nice to have access to a clean pool. I heard other guests walking by and talking about going into the pool but of course no one went in. The continental breakfast was fine: good coffee, oatmeal, and coffee cake. The cakes were yummy. Anyway, I would come back because the room is nice, the staff pleasant and the location is great. However, they really need to get their pool cleaned!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank liberrygal
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Liberrygal,

Thank you for your kind words about our property. Our property has many pine trees and in the mountains, the pine pollen is prevalent for a few weeks each summer. This year, the pine pollen was overwhelming to the area, and while we strive to mitigate it for the week or two it is here, this year we did not seem to be able to keep up. To assist in keeping the pollen out (and heat in) we have purchased a pool cover as well as upgraded the pool pump to better handle this issue. We thank you for your feedback and do hope to see you again soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I made a reservation with a very polite "Ralph" several weeks ago for July 4-7, using a special I found online for $99 per night. The reservation system was down, but he took all my info, including my credit card info, in writing. Last weekend, I realized I didn't have a confirmation, so I called. Ralph was very polite and apologized that my reservation didn't get processed. He remembered talking to me. He researched and called me back, saying he couldn't find the note, but the hotel couldn't honor the special I called about, because of the holiday weekend. He never mentioned that when I reserved, and if it was on the special I saw, I missed it. Either way, it's two weeks out, I have flights to Reno booked family booked in another hotel, and few hotels to choose from--all at much higher last minute rates. As a business owner, I would have tried to work this out with a compromise, but this hotel was willing to let me "swing in the wind". If you deal with this hotel, get everything in writing. (I also read on one review that they do not have a/c. I don't know if that's true. ) --Linda Cannon, Las Vegas

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Lindainvegas
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Linda,

We apologize for the confusion on our promotion and your reservation. It was stated in the promotion that this deal was not available over the holiday weekend. Because our computer system was down, Ralph did take down your information and offered to make the reservation if possible, but did let you know he would call back with an answer. Ralph did call you back, as promised, the same day at the number you gave him and left a message stating that the promotion was not valid over these dates and offered to book a reservation at an available rate. It seems that you did not receive this information and we do apologize.

When you spoke to Ralph the second time he did offer alternative rates however the Fourth of July is a very popular holiday in South Lake Tahoe and room rates do run much higher than $99 at the majority of hotels and you chose to find an alternative hotel. We do feel the promotion was advertised appropriately and we tried to do everything we could to assist you. We are very sorry for any impact in planning your vacation.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This looked like another motel in a long row of others on the street. But it isn't! Everything about it was impressive. The check in staff was professional, and the room was lovely. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were top quality. Our dogs were welcome and they were given a "cehck in" basket. The pool was superclean as was the room. The breakfast was good - hot oatmeal, delicious pasteries, fresh orange juice and fruit. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Debideclai, We are thrilled you picked our Little Boutique Lodge for your recent visit. We are all animal lovers and strive to make sure that not only our guests experience an amazing time, but that our furry friends also have a fabulous visit. Please visit us again and receive a 5% discount when you book directly with our front desk staff. We’ve got some ice cold sangria waiting for you!
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our first impression was that the Avalon lodge was just another "motel". We were wrong, however and found our accommodations to be above standard, with amenities similar to a four start hotel. Nice bathrobes, top of the line shampoos and soap, etc. Very nice staff. A good location, quite. And, bonus, pet friendly!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear RebFan,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a great review. We take great pride in providing the best in cozy comfort with elegant touches for our guests, and we know how important our four-legged guests are too! We look forward to seeing you again, and as a repeat guest, please take advantage of our 5% discount when booking directly with us. We’re happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the lovely review.