I had high hopes for this hotel. It was my birthday weekend and I was really looking forward to a nice getaway in the snow. This hotel just about ruined it. I wouldn't stay here again if I were paid to. We have been to many, many hotels and this was the worst place I have ever stayed.
* The bathroom reeked of wet dog. I understand some people stay with dogs here, but I expected it to be cleaned. Between the dog smell and the little black hairs in the bathroom, it was obvious dogs had recently been there and the place hadn't been well cleaned. Add to that the caked-in-dirt old sock underneath the duvet, and I wondered if the place had been cleaned at all before we checked in. There was also dog poop on the walkway and all around the parking lot.
* I was told at check-in that there would be a $200 hold on my credit card "in case I walked off with something from the room". I understand the practice, but really?!?
* The bathroom was tiny. One very nice slate shower (the one positive for this place), an itty bitty sink and a toilet. The shelf was four inches wide and we couldn't put more than a tooth brush on it.
* Worst of all, there is almost no soundproofing. The people in the room above us were up until 3 am. We heard every conversation, every sneeze, every toilet flush. They had a whole lot of fun, and I literally thought there was an earthquake with how much OUR headboard was shaking, because of what was going on in the room above us. My 5-year old son asked me what a vulgar female anatomy name meant was because we could hear their every word before we left our room in frustration. I don't think they were even being that loud, the soundproofing is just non-existent. So they went to bed at 3 am, and the neighbors to our right got up at 5:30 am. And we could hear *their* every word and toilet flush. We got just over two hours of sleep. Worst night ever in a hotel room, and we've done some traveling.
I went to the front desk to ask for a partial refund as we chose to check out a night early rather than suffer another night of sleeplessness and gross dog smell. I was told they were aware of the noise issue, and there was no refund. We checked out anyway, cutting our stay in beautiful Tahoe short. I'll be contacting the Better Business Bureau about their "boutique" hotel.
My husband tried to cheer me up by saying at least we didn't spend that much on the hotel. He thought by the look of the place it was $50 a night. Nope. $200 a night for the worst night of sleep ever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to a mountain retreat that’s just steps away from South Lake Tahoe’s beaches, Heavenly gondola, and world-famous dining, shopping, recreation, and entertainment. The Avalon Lodge will pamper you with the best beds in Tahoe, luxurious linens, flat screen TVs, in-room fireplaces, gourmet coffee, and spa-quality essentials. You’ll also enjoy fresh continental breakfasts, Free WiFi, Lakeside Beach access and Jacuzzi. We provide activity equipment for your stay - bikes, kayaks and snowshoes. Pets are welcome, too! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Avalon Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avalon Hotel South Lake Tahoe
- Avalon Hotel Lake Tahoe
- Avalon Motel Lake Tahoe