“Perfect Anniversary”

Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Gardnerville, Nevada
“Perfect Anniversary”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Avalon Lodge was the perfect escape for our 5th anniversary. It is just a short drive from where we live, but we felt miles away with the warm atmosphere, beautiful slate showers and comfy beds. They even had spiced wine in the lobby for us to enjoy by the fireplace. We were close enough to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go. The staff couldn't be better. They helped us make reservations at Cafe Fiore for our anniversary and while we were out at dinner they placed champagne and chocolates in our room as a surprise. The hotel and staff were absolutely charming, we loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 28, which had a view of the field behind the hotel, only a few rooms seem to have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Guest Services at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you so much for spending your Anniversary with us. We know how special these occasions are for our guests. Our thoughtful amenities and beautifully appointed rooms help us to create for our guests what we call “casual elegance defined”. We look forward to hosting you on your next getaway up the mountain. And don’t forget our 5% returning guest discount when you book direct for your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I apologise for the late review. I stayed here summer of 2011. I think they had just finished renovations so we got a great deal to check out the upgrades.

This place was amazing. The most friendliest staff that made you feel at home & welcome. Cosy atmosphere, but the room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Quite luxurious feeling to it. The free bikes were a nice touch, so was the outdoor spa (and this cured every ache in my body I had acquired after spending a day riding around San Fran on a bike two days earlier - I could barely walk!)

Location excellent.. You can walk to the border & casinos - It was safe to do so at night if you want a few drinks! Heavenly a couple minutes walk too & there was a bit of snow in mountain so we could play around - and it was hot too!

Summer was a quiet time of course, but it was perfect. I would definitely come back here if I'm in that part of California .. perfect, perfect, perfect! Thanks Avalon.

Also recommend the ten min drive to Zephyr Cove beach in the Summer (water a bit chilly, but its beautiful).

Room Tip: I think we had mountain view room. It was cosy but not in the small sense, it was just beautifully...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vmillan
Better late than never…we appreciate your taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We love our location too and combine that with our dedicated and friendly staff and attention to guest comforts, we hope the Avalon Lodge will be at the top of your return visit list! Thanks again and visit us on your next trip to the States.
Vacaville, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My experience with the Avalon Lodge was a great one the staff were extremely friendly and helpful the room was large,clean and the bed was comfortable. Its a short walk to the lake and to the casinos I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Though there isn't a fitness center who needs one while on a weekend getaway

infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We love our location too – in between the lifts and the lake, as we say. While we are an intimate lodge that does not have a fitness room we do offer complimentary bikes and kayaks in the summer and snowshoes in the winter to help keep you active and exploring, make sure to save some time to try them out on your next stay. We hope to see you soon!
Arnold, NE
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went to Tahoe for our 8th anniversary and told the person when we booked. Just me my wife and our Ollie, great Dane. They guided me to book a romance package - which I did, reluctantly. Boy am I glad I did! The French Champagne was wonderful as well as fun and colorful chocolates welcoming us. Rose petals to take home and moreover, Ollie had her own welcome gift with bone, toy and towels for spreadding out on!

The whole place is no smoking - and set next to a preserve. The room offered SS water bottles to use and take home for a deal and as a great souvenier. My husband thinks I am amazing for planning all this... but all I did was call! We hiked and biked (complimetary bikes for guests) and had beers at the pub around the corner. Thinking of coming back for a winter boarding trip!

We highly recommend it. It is obvious it is meant for those looking for a bit more, quiet simplicity, good wine and great location. A loud and smoky casino it is NOT! Thank goodness.

1 Thank Barbara K
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay – and brought the whole family! We adore pets (every staff member at the Avalon has at least one) and it is our goal to ensure that your pup enjoys their vacation as much as our human guests. We did make Ollie pinky/paw swear to be back this winter...the snow is falling now so we expect to see you soon!
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Best stay ever!

The staff handed me a warm cider when I arrived after the first snow of the seaon last week. The room was amazingly well done and cozy - great mood lighting too - like our Virgin America Flight.

We had booked earlier this year and were worried about the reviews when we went online looking for things to do and plan for our trip. No more. There were several people staying who we spoke to when in the hot tub who booked through a coupon or discount site. They were grumpy - but it is because they expected a resort. They should have booked Cancun.

This is a small quaint charmer with modern amenities and a great staff. Even a movie we planned to see at the theater when we got home was playing in room! If you want good suggestions, a good nights sleep, and a comfy, clean place to hang between hikes or fun - this is it.

The pet amenity is lavish, too. My family is in the bay area - headed there next and will recommend to them for sure! Oh - and a great store for wine and munchies in the lobby!

1 Thank Crystal K
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are a startup hospitality company just going into our second year of business this December and it has always been our goal to provide high end amenities from movies on demand to complimentary bikes to fantastic coffee in an intimate hotel setting with upscale rooms and amazing guest service and we are glad that you appreciated our small touches. We hope to host you again soon.
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I vacation in Tahoe each fall and spring when the town is less crowded. We often stay on the western side of town away from the casinos but this time decided to stay right in South Lake Tahoe and are so glad we did! The Avalon Lodge is adorable, the rooms are amazing with beautiful slate showers and comfy beds. They had free bikes that we took to do some wine tasting and check out the lake and then they had sangria out in the afternoon when we returned. The staff was friendly and made every effort to ensure our vacation was special. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby by the fire and chatting with the staff about the upcoming winter and the upgrades they are planning for the spring, like increasing the store and upgrading the patio. There were lots of little extras that made the Avalon Lodge above and beyond and we know it will keep getting better. We will be back!

infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We are so glad that you choose to stay with us at the Avalon Lodge. We do have lots of changes in store at the Avalon in the upcoming year and we are excited to continue to implement the ideas that we and our guests have designed. Next change to come - our Bloody Mary Bar!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place, I think they try... but it's just missing a few things.
We were using a TravelZoo special and we arrived on a Sunday, the place was pretty empty, I believe we had a choice of rooms. I can't remember the room number but we were right over the office. The room was nice, it did have a fireplace - I think my major complaint would be the bed was noisy and not very comfortable. Every time I moved it would squeak. we stayed for two nights and I didn't get much sleep. The Internet as hit or miss... and you would think being right over the office we would have a strong signal. One day we didn't have it at all, I had to go downstairs and ask them about it. I wasn't sure how to call the front desk. They had to 'reboot' it and then it worked. Also, regarding the stairs they laid tile on top of the wooded stairs, I'm not sure how safe that it... it snowed while we were there so I was very concerned about slipping on them. I did leave something there... and they were helpful to mail my item to my home.

1 Thank Cathy_in_Calfornia