“I get it!” 5 of 5 stars

San Jose, California
“I get it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Best stay ever!

The staff handed me a warm cider when I arrived after the first snow of the seaon last week. The room was amazingly well done and cozy - great mood lighting too - like our Virgin America Flight.

We had booked earlier this year and were worried about the reviews when we went online looking for things to do and plan for our trip. No more. There were several people staying who we spoke to when in the hot tub who booked through a coupon or discount site. They were grumpy - but it is because they expected a resort. They should have booked Cancun.

This is a small quaint charmer with modern amenities and a great staff. Even a movie we planned to see at the theater when we got home was playing in room! If you want good suggestions, a good nights sleep, and a comfy, clean place to hang between hikes or fun - this is it.

The pet amenity is lavish, too. My family is in the bay area - headed there next and will recommend to them for sure! Oh - and a great store for wine and munchies in the lobby!

1 Thank Crystal K
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are a startup hospitality company just going into our second year of business this December and it has always been our goal to provide high end amenities from movies on demand to complimentary bikes to fantastic coffee in an intimate hotel setting with upscale rooms and amazing guest service and we are glad that you appreciated our small touches. We hope to host you again soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I vacation in Tahoe each fall and spring when the town is less crowded. We often stay on the western side of town away from the casinos but this time decided to stay right in South Lake Tahoe and are so glad we did! The Avalon Lodge is adorable, the rooms are amazing with beautiful slate showers and comfy beds. They had free bikes that we took to do some wine tasting and check out the lake and then they had sangria out in the afternoon when we returned. The staff was friendly and made every effort to ensure our vacation was special. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby by the fire and chatting with the staff about the upcoming winter and the upgrades they are planning for the spring, like increasing the store and upgrading the patio. There were lots of little extras that made the Avalon Lodge above and beyond and we know it will keep getting better. We will be back!

infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We are so glad that you choose to stay with us at the Avalon Lodge. We do have lots of changes in store at the Avalon in the upcoming year and we are excited to continue to implement the ideas that we and our guests have designed. Next change to come - our Bloody Mary Bar!
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place, I think they try... but it's just missing a few things.
We were using a TravelZoo special and we arrived on a Sunday, the place was pretty empty, I believe we had a choice of rooms. I can't remember the room number but we were right over the office. The room was nice, it did have a fireplace - I think my major complaint would be the bed was noisy and not very comfortable. Every time I moved it would squeak. we stayed for two nights and I didn't get much sleep. The Internet as hit or miss... and you would think being right over the office we would have a strong signal. One day we didn't have it at all, I had to go downstairs and ask them about it. I wasn't sure how to call the front desk. They had to 'reboot' it and then it worked. Also, regarding the stairs they laid tile on top of the wooded stairs, I'm not sure how safe that it... it snowed while we were there so I was very concerned about slipping on them. I did leave something there... and they were helpful to mail my item to my home.

1 Thank Cathy_in_Calfornia
Alameda, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon lodge this last weekend and encountered 2 major issues: 1) our room #12 was extremely noisy (at the base of the stairs- bottom floor) and 2) this was a part of a living social deal - we brought our son and Avalon lodge charged us an additional $12 a night for him. When we made the reservation - they did not mention this fee and when I checked out - the person at the desk said that it was the owners policy and nothing she could do about it.

Beware of the add-on fees. The continental breakfast is sparse. The rooms are clean though and the location is nice. I called to speak to the owner. The owner did not call back - instead a manager called back and refused to refund the add-on fee - he claimed that it was a living social issue. I informed him that LivingSocial did not add on the fee- the hotel did.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony S
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Tony,

As we discussed on the telephone late last November, I am sorry you had an experience which prompted you to write this review.

I am glad we had the opportunity to speak and discuss your concerns. As you know, this review was written prior to you resolving your issue with our manager, and thus, is not entirely accurate. I have been waiting for your promised corrected review, but now feel I must reply. The additional person fees were clearly outlined on the living social package you purchased, as we pointed out. Moreover, our manager credited back your additional person fee as a good will gesture for your not understanding them.

You also mention you called [me] the owner. We did speak initially in November, after my knee surgery recovery. This was when you first shared with me that you would correct the inaccuracies in this review regarding the fee credit. You also shared with me you were upset when you wrote this review and that yes, you would like to visit us again. Therefore, I gladly sent you a certificate for another stay so you could experience us again - on us.

I called again 2 weeks ago, speaking to you a second time, to confirm receipt of the certificate, note, and follow up on the review correction, which you explained you forgot about. I understand. I truly hope you return for another visit, as we have offered, to re-experience us.

Deb P. - Owner
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed in room 28. It was great. You have a good few from the window. The bed is perfect, the ceiling fan you cant even tell that its there. Shower is just stunning. The only downside is that the room doesnt have ironing bord or iron, so if you need to iron your clothes you are out of luck. But otherwise the hotel is in perfect location.

• Stayed October 2012
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for the great review!

We appreciate your feedback and sharing your comments with future travellers.

I am sorry there must have been a mis-communication about irons, as we have several on site and small and full size ironing boards, too!

Hope to see you again soon,

Deb P.
Bay Area , California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I saw this place originally on groupon. The reviews and photos were so good we thought we would go check it out. We were so disappointed! The hotel is one of these aging motels from the 70's. The staircases were in disrepair and downright dangerous with huge chunks of the slate tile missing to trip on. One staircase I refused to use entirely because it was falling apart so bad. The jacuzzi was closed because it too was broken.

However, thus said, once you got into the actual room it was clean. There were plenty of towels provided and of good quality. The bath products too were nice. The decor in the room was pleasant , but there was no lamp by the bed, only overhead lights. Crazy. There is no air conditioning either. The quality of the beds and the linens was good though.

The hotel touts wonderful coffee and continental breakfast. The coffee wasn't even drinkable, and what I saw was a pot of oatmeal, and a few slices of pumpkin loaf. They didn't even have many fixings for the coffee. No fruit, nothing.

They did have bikes to borrow, all were super nice quality.

I would say in ski season if you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay close to everything, this might be a place to consider. This is not a romantic getaway like it implies or any kind of luxury or charming. It's above basic, but I have seen motel 6 do just as well.

• 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Amberfireinuk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My favorite boutique hotel chain is the Kimpton. If the Kimpton did quaint mountain lodges, the Avalon Lodge would be it. It's in a great location and staffed by really friendly, helpful people. It's also super dog-friendly. Upon checkin, they provide your pooch with a little welcome basket of goodies and lots of petting. Like the Kimpton, they offer really nice beds with luxury sheets, pillows and bathroom amenities. They also have an evening wine reception only they serve up a delicious sangria sweetened with honey and fresh fruit.Unlike the Kimpton, they offer a healthy, homemade continental breakfast with fresh baked goods come from a local bakery and not costco! Other rooms perks - microwave, refrigerator and a fireplace that turns on with the thermostat! There's a cute little jacuzzi and they also have passes to the private beach nearby. Shannon also gave us a great tip on a hike that was off the beaten path! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends