“Value for Money”
Review of Sunray Tahoe Hotel

Sunray Tahoe Hotel
Ranked #53 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed March 17, 2014

While travelling to South Lake Tahoe we were in search for a motel which can just provide a place to sleep. But for the money they charge, it is much more than I would expect from a motel like that. Will definitely stay here next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 466varunp

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here at this hotel last week with a family of four for two nights and upon arrival into the hotel one could tell that it was more on the older side. I did like that they had free packs of gum and energy bars at the welcome check in counter. That was nice. The breakfast was also a nice feature as we did not have to drive around to get food in the morning. We only had breakfast one day.

The rooms are very dated in more ways than one. The bathrooms really really need to be renovated. My husband and I were a bit shocked as it is Tahoe which is known as an upscale place to visit, but upon taking a drive we noticed that the majority of hotels around Heavenly are equally as dated and run down. There was an article that weekend that was featured that they have plans of renovating and building new hotels just because of that very reason. Even Harrah's casino is dated and looks run down!

The walls are paper thin!! I had to switch between the heater and the fan to keep the noise down from the couple next to us having a very romantic evening in bed.... to the other neighbor that took a shower and blow dryed her hair for 20 minutes... to the child that was running around the room above us.... not a fun way to fall asleep.

We paid in total a bit over $200 for two nights. We have stayed at other hotels for around the same price and thought they were in a lot better condition.

I think we may rent a lodge next time we travel to Tahoe or stay at a different Hotel that may cost a bit more than this location.

The staff was really nice and helpful when we asked where to go and what to do. You can also purchase gondala tickets at a discounted price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Marisol W
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had a very pleasant stay here. The beds were comfortable and the room was very nice. The price is also great! I would stay here again!.

The staff was all so friendly! Ron checked me in and he knew a lot about Tahoe and helped me get to where I was going. Maria, who is Ron's wife, was also very nice. She asked if I needed anything in the room, which I did. I needed extra blankets and towels. They were delivered to my room in less than 5 minutes, and by her! The breakfast in the morning was also good. If you need a place to stay, you have it right here. the staff and rooms are great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Pamela G
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked the Econo Lodge via Priceline for a last minute trip to Tahoe for Labor Day. We figured for $89 we were gonna be at a roach motel...very much not the case.

The room was clean, maybe a little rundown, but for $89, it was perfectly acceptable.

It was just a quick drive down the street to the casinos, which was awesome.

The guy who manages the property was very nice, and enjoyable.

We did not take advantage of the free breakfast, but it was there.

My only real complaint is the shower was iffy, I wore my flip flops. Otherwise, I would stay again if I needed a room. No problem.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Trulycraz13
Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you plan on needing more than a bed for a night this might not be the spot. Location is not bad but no smoking signs are not respected by numerous tenants. Reasonably quiet and clean but not a place to stay if you are going to spend a lot of time in the room. Bed was not uncomfortable. It was a place that made you think you want to bring your disinfectant spray in before settling in for the night.

Didn't even look at the breakfast knowing Heidi's is not far away. Had a soup and salad from Sprouts down the road, great, but cash at the register for carryout. CC honored only at tables.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Loved our stay with the kids at Econolodge. Great value for the money and best value in tahoe!! Really clean and really good service. Loved the room. Everything was and looked new. Would love to come back and stay again with our kids. Take my advice and take a look!
Overall a 5/5

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had to rent 5 rooms. All the popular hotels and motels were booked. I settled for this one. I read bad reviews and I had no choice. We show up and first this I noticed, it had a nice maintained lawn and gazebo. The lobby and breakfast area was nice and clean. All of my rooms were really clean and nice. The bathrooms all had marble tiles. This place has one star prices for Tahoe but three star rooms. In my other Tahoe experiences, I had paid $79 for one stars. Here I paid $55. I was told that if you book a month in advance, you get rooms cheaper. They even have weekday rooms for $30. The staff was super helpful and room service did a good job cleaning. I stayed 2 and a half days. Five miles away was camp Richardson, the most popular camping and beach area and three miles away was Nevada and the main casino and nightclubs. There are eating area everywhere on the same street and even a wine tasting place and down town shopping near casinos. All five rooms were different because of pricing but good rooms. I will return.
-V.S.V.

Room Tip: ask if you can get a room with a fireplace. They are the nice ones.