WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #55 of 68 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Redwood City, California
“Perfect for the price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Booked a one night stay at the Green Lantern Inn in Tahoe because it was one of the few locations that would allow for a one night stay during a busy weekend with youth tournaments going on. For $60, you get a clean no frills room. People who assign bad reviews to this place are crazy to expect more for a place that is so inexpensive.
I will admit that I was leery of this hotel after reading the reviews. But it was too late to change reservations and I fully expected a disaster.
Check-in took 5 minutes, the location is 3 minutes from all the action, the parking is easy....right in front of your door, and the room was clean and free of any defects. There is absolutely nothing fancy here but, for the price, you really can't beat it.
Considering you get a free breakfast of cereal, juice, and pastry in the morning plus free wi-fi, this place is great....if you lower your expectations.

Room Tip: Try to get second floor or the lights from parking cars will shine right into your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Reg C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Jose
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

1. The female receptionist on May 25, 2014 was rude. HOW? When we walk in there, try to check in. She was helping another person so we waited in line. When we saw the man walk out, we tried to reach her to check in. But she just said: let me finish with the earlier customer. For no reason, we stood there for another 10 minutes and we have been patiently waited. (He walk out for some reasons, I've asked the receptionist why we have to wait for him, she said just wait) . So I've been upset and asked for check in. She was like: WTH but then let us check in. (-2 stars for this).
2. The room is too old and dirty. Couldn't stand for the beds, the blankets and everything in the room. Too scare to touch anything in the room. We have to used our camping sleeping bags to sleep in a room that we have paid for.
3. Everything is too old in that room.

Room Tip: Don't see any good thing in here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewDinh

Travelers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Sebastopol, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a leaky roof, and our rooms power went out 4 times. We politely asked for a new room on our second night, and a discount on the last night. He moved us, but refused to give us a discount, responding with "I don't take complaints well." If you can help it, never come within 100ft of this place.

• Stayed February 2014
Winchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels, motels, B&Bs, guest houses and inns. This is the THIRD worst!!!!!

The accommodation has not benefited from any significant investment for many years. The general appearance is of a squalid, rundown motel in a poor state of repair. Some of the electrical fittings in the room were dangerous. There were numerous lose tiles on the building opposite that if dislodged would fall into the car park. They could fall on someone or a car.

The bedroom and shower room were generally dirty and in poor condition.

The only three positives were:

1. The WiFi worked
2. The beds appeared to be fairly new
3. IT WAS ONLY FOR ONE NIGHT!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank freq_biz_tripper
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

First off, it's not all luxurious as it might sound. So, do set your expectation correct. :)

Me and my partner have been a frequent customer to Green Lantern since 2007, especially for those spontaneous trips up to Lake Tahoe on a last minute urge (and the most recent trip would be Aug 2013), Green Lantern is perfect for its location and a place to rest and freshen up. It's not some fancy boutique hotel, it's purely functional. But, for its location and price, we have no complaints. Yes, it is a bit run down, a li'l bit of maintenance and refurbishing might help, but then maybe the rate might get revised too (?)

I can tell this place really TRY to make things OK - the little breakfast/pantry area is perfect for a quick grab-n-go, again nothing fancy 'n such. It even has free wi-fi! So, again, if you're up in Lake Tahoe, and will be out doing things most of the time, and just need a place to freshen up and rest, this would be a good place with an OK rate. :)

Green Lantern, please do look into updating the property in any way you can think of. The reason being, there are more and MORE nice boutique inn coming up around your property and that's going to be big competition for you guys - just a little feedback from your loyal customer of 6 years.

Cheers! x

Room Tip: If you want good, strong free wifi signal, don't pick a room too far away from the main receptio...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because I was meeting another family here. I wish I would have read the reviews beforehand. The room was so dirty we were afraid to put anything down on the floor. Kids refused to sleep in the beds so we used our sleeping bags. Bathroom door was warped and wouldn't shut. Shower door just about fell off and not very hot water. Stains on walls. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Createsalotv4
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The Green Lantern Inn should be condemed. It was the worst place I have ever stayed. I would not even take a shower because it was so bad. No pool or beach access that I knew about. I think the people that own or work there live in the Honeymoon Suite. The walls were so thin I could hear the people in the next room turn on the water. I booked this room in advance for myself and daughter and another room for a couple that had just gotten married that day. I felt so bad for the couple that had just gotten married that they had to stay their honeymoon night in that disgusting room. The tile on the floor was peeling up. The ceiling was coming down. I paid $90 per room for the one night stay. When we got there I tried to find another room at least for the honeymoon couple but the town was booked. DO NOT stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family