“Mixed feelings about this one”
Review of Apex Inn

Apex Inn
Ranked #49 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Oakland, California
“Mixed feelings about this one”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Unfortunately, we needed to stay in South Lake Tahoe at the last minute and we needed to be there the weekend of Hot August Nights. So all lodging was outrageously expensive, if you could find an open room. Apex Inn was no exception. The room was tiny and old but basically clean. We paid a very, very high price for a room of this type and it's not in a great location. It's right on Highway 50 coming into town and on the opposite side of town from most restaurants, casinos, Heavenly, etc. And because it's on Highway 50, it can be a tiny bit noisy. Also, they advertised a hot tub and discount coupons but the hot tub was turned off and they told us it wasn't available to guests. The coupons were available during the off season only. Also, we went to get an extra pillow in the evening and the office was closed. Not very helpful. Again, clean, decent room and probably it's very cheap when there isn't an event going on. We probably won't go back.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — not very convenient to anything and rooms were just so-so.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Walnutcreekgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2008

After reading all the reviews on here, my boyfriend and I decided to stay here for one night on a snowboarding trip. You can't beat the deal. It was freezing cold but the heater worked great.
The room is a decent size for what you pay for, nice big bathroom, microwave and fridge in the room. Very clean.
I saw a lot of the reviews mentioned the walls being thin, so we brought ear plugs, but we couldn't hear too much noise. Just the neighbors tv in the morning.
The staff was very nice and kindly held my pillows for me until some friends could pick them up because I left them there.

I would recommend this place to anyone, especially those on a budget. Can't beat the rate for Tahoe!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Kevin_M_J
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I read some other trip advisor reviews about Apex Inn and they were all very positive. In addition the price was amazing for Lake Tahoe so I decided to book it. First of all I'd like to say that the staff was extremely polite, helpful and eager to help. Please believe the reviews that say the walls are paper thin and you WILL get noise "bleed through". If you are a light sleeper you definitely need to look elsewhere. The room however, was very clean, and had a good sized microwave and refrigerator. The heater was a bit tricky but it worked at least half the time. Not an issue in the spring, summer and fall...but oh boy...in winter! All in all I appreciate places like the Apex Inn; they make ski trips affordable for everyone.

• Liked — The price made it a fantastic bargain.
  • Disliked — The heater did not work through the night.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My wife and I liked this motel, but only because of the inexpensive rate we paid. The room is small, the bathroom clean, and the front desk very helpful, but sounds carry between rooms, so hope you have quiet neighbors. Neither my wife or I liked the bed, but of course bed comfort is a matter of individual taste. The front desk recommended the pizza place across the street and we enjoyed dinner there. The motel does not provide breakfast.

• Liked — Cost
  • Disliked — Thin walls, small room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flagtraveler
Berkeley, California
Reviewed February 18, 2007

After having a terrible experience last year booking a room at the last minute for my annual President's Day weekend snowboard trip (without consulting TripAdvisor), I made sure to check TripAdvisor well in advance for a nice and inexpensive place to rest my head and I found it at the Apex Inn.

The staff are friendly and accomodating. I really do not think I have ever met a hotel staff more friendly and willing to accomodate any reasonable request I might have had (more coffee, towels, that kind of thing). I really sincerely enjoyed dealing with them.

The room I booked was small and very simple but it was clean. In fact, despite the age of this highway side motor lodge, it was obvious that the owners cared about making sure the rooms did not show that age. My room appeared to be freshly painted and carpeted and the bathroom also had fresh paint, linoleum and tile in the small shower. The sheets and bedding were fresh and soft and clean. The windows in the rooms do face the parking lot so if you are a light sleeper (I'm not) then you might want to bring along some ear plugs to keep from being woken by the early risers.

If you are looking for luxury accomodations, head over to the fancy casino hotels and pay their price. But if you want someplace clean and friendly at a reasonable rate to rest your weary head after a long day on the slopes and you want to be near the mountain and near South Lake, this is the place for you.

• Liked — It was clean and inexpensive!
  • Disliked — I wish I'd booked another night!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
san jose ca
Reviewed February 4, 2007

nice and clean room room nice and wram heater works very good and family are very nice good price we got to go to this motel.wi-fi wireless internet work very good.bed was very nice and clean.bathroom very clean and good bath supply nice and clean towel.

• Liked — nice
  • Disliked — nice
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
benicia,calif
Reviewed January 21, 2007

Long time since my family was in tahoe but how great it was to pick this place. We were on our first ski weekend in a long time, and our friend told us to stay here. Rooms was great and very clean espically the bathrooms, and the sheets & pillows, were just like home. Room was warm & cozy and just far enough off the beaten path to get a great night's sleep. I can't say enough about the staff they were so kind & nice to us and we were treated just like family something you never see at other motels, they really made this place a place you want to stay at, unstead of some of the other motels in downtown south lake tahoe. We of course used tripadvisor before we made our 2 day reservation's like we always do when we our going away. I would recommend this place to all as this is one of the best places our family has ever stay at., we will be back again. Thank You

• Liked — Very clean rooms & great staff
  • Disliked — Heater sometimes was noisey & but we could live with it as it was very Cold
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family